PDA

View Full Version : So my black car may have a lil bit more motivation soon... but i need some help!

Stangman
11-13-2007, 12:20 AM
i think i have a line on a explorer motor VERY cheap... like affordable without a job cheap... so i want to help out my '94 since its helped me out as my daily for almost 2 years....

What i NEED to know is... since the P-heads dont have smog provisions, will my check engine light come on??? and what do i do about the egr and all that?? will P-heads work with stock headers?

I think thats it, but if anyone has anything else... lemme know... thanks a lot!!:bigthumb

Stangman
11-13-2007, 10:51 AM
I forgot that my EGR is mounted on my intake elbow... but still... anyone know anything about this? i know someone on here has to have swapped the stuff onto a 94-95 before....

Steves LX
11-13-2007, 11:15 AM
I have an idea, lets get the 88 together and put the 94 to rest.:lol:

Stangman
11-13-2007, 12:55 PM
I have an idea, lets get the 88 together and put the 94 to rest.:lol:

Come on over! :flipoff:

:lol:

Steves LX
11-13-2007, 01:11 PM
same back at ya' there buddy:flipoff::lol::lol::lol:

Call me when you get a chance

Walter
11-13-2007, 01:23 PM
i think i have a line on a explorer motor VERY cheap... like affordable without a job cheap... so i want to help out my '94 since its helped me out as my daily for almost 2 years....

What i NEED to know is... since the P-heads dont have smog provisions, will my check engine light come on??? and what do i do about the egr and all that?? will P-heads work with stock headers?

I think thats it, but if anyone has anything else... lemme know... thanks a lot!!:bigthumb

Just remove all the smog stuff. I believe the egr has to be turned off in the tune. But, i have a small spun aluminum piece that bolts to the egr and holds the plunger in a position where the CE light wont come on. A guy on Corral made em there for a while. You can have it, after i find it. Just bolt it to the egr and tuck it away neatly somewhere.

I think you will need some p specific headers also.

Stangman
11-13-2007, 01:37 PM
Just remove all the smog stuff. I believe the egr has to be turned off in the tune. But, i have a small spun aluminum piece that bolts to the egr and holds the plunger in a position where the CE light wont come on. A guy on Corral made em there for a while. You can have it, after i find it. Just bolt it to the egr and tuck it away neatly somewhere.

I think you will need some p specific headers also.

cool, lemme know when you find it...

as for the tune.. i cant afford that... and p-specific headers...if i can come across some cheap i can justify that...

Ryan218
11-14-2007, 06:34 PM
cool, lemme know when you find it...

as for the tune.. i cant afford that... and p-specific headers...if i can come across some cheap i can justify that...

quick question....can you weld?

Stangman
11-14-2007, 07:30 PM
quick question....can you weld?

sure can... learned in high school...

Timido
11-14-2007, 09:13 PM
The P heads have the same header patern as stock heads. The difference in the P heads is the spark plug angle is different. You stock headers might clear the plugs ok but I dont know that from experience. I ran FMS short headers on my P heads and they were very nice all kinds of room

Rick93coupe
11-14-2007, 09:16 PM
JBA headers also work.

Ryan218
11-14-2007, 10:19 PM
sure can... learned in high school...

cool...make your own....it would be different.

Stangman
11-15-2007, 12:06 AM
Heck if the stockers will work i will just cut down a spark plug socket like someone i know ;) ....Steve...... and just go with it... the only thing i will miss is my strut tower brace.... i enjoy that thing...

Timido
11-15-2007, 07:32 PM
They make shorter special spark plugs also.

Stangman
11-15-2007, 08:17 PM
what brand and what's the number if you dont mind??

Timido
11-15-2007, 11:07 PM
Good read!

http://www.stangpro.com/html/articles/gt40p_files/gt40p1.htm

Spark plug is moved down and rotated out placing the electrode closer to the center of the combustion chamber. This provides a better and more complete burn. Not only does this help performance but it also reduced emissions. Note: The GT-40P's don't use standard 5.0L plugs. You must use plugs for a 98+ Explorer/Mountaineer V8 or for a Cobra/Lightning equipped with iron GT-40 heads!! Forget about the shorty plugs (Accel p/n P526S). I've heard they're close to $10 each for this application! Plug specs are: 14mm thread, 0.708" projection, tapered seat, resistor plug. Thanks to Derek Hyde for the Accel plug specs!!. The 2000 FRPP catalog lists a Motorcraft AWSF-32C. I bought Champion Truck Plugs p/n 4013 (I used the Truck Plugs on a '97 V8 Dakota I had and was happy with them. Thought I'd try 'em again.)

Stangman
11-15-2007, 11:24 PM
I have a set of P-heads for my '88... but i would love to have another set for my '94... so i hope i get this engine....

Autolite 764's are what i found fit...