PDA

View Full Version : Racing Harnesses - Opinions

Kevin Doe
11-14-2007, 12:05 PM
Hey guys, I'm about to buy some racing harnesses for my car (I'm going a cage in a few weeks). I'll be using them for primarily road courses, some autox, and some drag. I'm currently open to any 5 or 6 point harnesses. I require a camlock type buckle thing, I dont' want to be holding 6 pieces together trying to buckle it all toghher.

Any expereince good or bad with particular brands, or perferences, post them up. Thanks

I have been thinking of the G-Force 5 point camlock harnesses. They're $130, black, and are SFI adn FIA approved. What do you think?

Jeff88coupe
11-14-2007, 01:28 PM
I like RCI's platinum series belts....they give you a free recert certificate when you buy them...so they last you 4 years basically. Cincy Speed carries RCI and G-force stuff if I remember right. I got my RCI belts from craig for my coupe.
http://www.rciracing.com/1108.jpg

Kevin Doe
11-14-2007, 02:05 PM
As stupid as it sounds, I don't like the way the RCI platinums day PLATINUM RCI all over them like that. I just like plain old straps. I'm not too concerned with certifications. I'm never going to race in a sanctioning body who cares about taht. They're mostly for my safety, and to stay in my seat during road courses. The road course racing I'll be doing isn't wheel to wheel, so cages and harnesses arent' even requried, but I will be doing it regardless.

Black Horse
11-14-2007, 03:28 PM
I use Willians 6-point system and am extremely happy with it. The benefits of FIA certification over and above the SFI cert. is that you don't have to replace the belts as often per NASA rules. Check with the race sanctioning bodies for this type info. The IMPACT (Bill Simpsons new company) belts are good SFI. There are a few other out there like RaceCraft I would entertain as well. I don't like the RCI or G-Force stuff, the cam locks feel too "cheap" and their webbing not as strong. Maybe its just me. You also may want to make sure your Harness is recommended for use with Hans or other retraint devices as most race bodies require head/neck restraints. (race groups) If you are door to door racing this is one area you do not want to scrimp on. Find the system that best fits you and you can operated with gloves on for a quick escape.

Jim at Continental Motorsports in Mason carries the Willians harness, tell him I sent you!

Black Horse
11-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Well I missed your last post. If you are going to do nothing more than open track events, Autocrosses and the like, you don't need the FIA certification. You might want to pick up a set of used belts. I have an expired set of Willians (red) if you are interested.

Kevin Doe
11-14-2007, 03:53 PM
And I just bought two sets of these in black. Dind't see your post till too late. Thanks for the offer though.

http://www.gforce.com/products/pimages/full/full_7000.jpg

theyallslow
11-14-2007, 04:46 PM
I would try racejunk.com they may have some.

rmracing
11-14-2007, 10:02 PM
I use the simpson cam lock and really like it.