PDA

View Full Version : Timing Chain

fst 5pto
11-14-2007, 04:07 PM
Was wondering if you guys think I should replace the timing chain in my car. Currently have the motor out doing a couple things to it. Timing chain was replaced 2 years ago when I did the motor swap. Also same thing with the oil pump, are these good things to change even though not that old?

Thanks,

Brandon

5.0calypso93lx
11-14-2007, 04:19 PM
Go get you a rollmaster.

fst 5pto
11-14-2007, 04:20 PM
I only wanna if I need one.

Timido
11-14-2007, 09:18 PM
A quality chain and oil pump should last quite a while. No one can tell you when a timing chain or oil pump is going to fail. If it was mine I would spend the money on other speed parts.

Rick93coupe
11-14-2007, 09:29 PM
I'm sort of anal about oil pumps because they're so important and relatively inexpensive. I personally would change it, but I highly doubt it needs replaced. If you used a good quality timing chain and it doesn't have excessive slack, just reuse it. A note about the rollmaster timing chains, according to Ed Curtis, there's a company out there selling knockoffs that are quite a bit cheaper than the true Rollmaster. Something to consider. There's some threads about it over on Hardcore50 if I'm not mistaken.

5.0calypso93lx
11-15-2007, 12:05 AM
I'm sort of anal about oil pumps because they're so important and relatively inexpensive. I personally would change it, but I highly doubt it needs replaced. If you used a good quality timing chain and it doesn't have excessive slack, just reuse it. A note about the rollmaster timing chains, according to Ed Curtis, there's a company out there selling knockoffs that are quite a bit cheaper than the true Rollmaster. Something to consider. There's some threads about it over on Hardcore50 if I'm not mistaken.

I planned on getting mine from Ed. Everything else from Craig.

JonS
11-15-2007, 08:13 AM
I wouldn't bother with the timing chain. I would expect the wear to be minimal unless it was cheap junk when you bought it. I wouldn't mess with the oil pump either. If the one that is in it was good it will be fine. It seems that most oil pump failures are from them sucking up something and locking up, which is gonna happen if it is new or old.

fst 5pto
11-15-2007, 04:11 PM
Thanks guys, think I am not gonna worry about it this time around.