PDA

View Full Version : Least Expensive Way to add BIG HP w/o NOS ???

Katmandu
11-17-2007, 03:59 AM
What's the least expensive Way to add BIG HP w/o NOS ???

H/C/I, blower or turbo ?

What is the least expensive H/C/I combo to get

mustangboy
11-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Not the answer you are looking for but putting a big block in it is the cheapest way.:)

Rick93coupe
11-17-2007, 01:12 PM
I'd say blower is the cheapest, but there's a trade off for everything. With a blower, all the rest of your components bolt right up, however you just going to find the next weakest link. Not only that, but with any power adder there's a host of things you'll need to upgrade to keep the tune safe. If you do h/c/i you cant really go wrong. Those things will only improve you potential with a power adder down the road. My vote would be stroked windsor. 10 yrs ago I built a 408 with foxlake cnc ported heads and a spyder intake and the thing was a blast to drive. If I would have had the funds to tune it at the time, I'd probably still be driving it today. Then again, asside from DFI, there wasn't really anybody on the scene to do that stuff back then.

98cobradan
11-17-2007, 04:03 PM
nothin better than cubes:)

Timido
11-17-2007, 08:26 PM
I vote for the bigger is better also. You could make an educated guess at more than 400 cids and have a fast fun reliable car

Mista Bone
11-17-2007, 11:09 PM
BOOST!

chad393na
11-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Build the biggest stroked windsor you can. You won't be dissappointed! Unless you have a good shortblock to put that blower on, you will inevitably have to upgrade. Building a strong 302 or 302 based stroker with a good (race) block will cost more than building a stock block stroked windsor that will will take 700+ hp :bigthumb

hpfiend1
12-11-2007, 09:09 AM
HP in my book is not inexpensive any way you do it. You will pay somehow for it be it with drivability, $$$$, or reliability.

The best way to do it is to build a solid n/a platform and add the minimum boost you can until you reach the goals you want- If you keep the cam mild that is the most reliable, most drivable, but also the MOST expensive this is the way I went and do not look back. The most bang for hte buck as far as h/c/i is either an explorer gt40 clone setup or the anderson ford motorsport trickflow clone with the typhoon stuff.

As most everyone else has said- cubes is the least expensive if you know what you are doing. 351 or 408/460 swap. You will have the power relatively cheaply if everything goes smoothly but be sure to add 1.50 to 2.5 X the cost for the !@#$ factor that WILL come up in the swap. If you don't know what you are doing or dont want to do a lot of research (have a friend that has done the swap before) the best way to do it is a windsor stroker kit. But with any big power you are still going to need chassis reinforcements and drivetrain upgrades ($$$$$$) to make it last. Oh yeah don't forget gas, tires, and clutches.

Sorry to be such a cynic- been there done that trying to help

RIXXX93GT
12-11-2007, 09:12 AM
define BIG HP?

pegasus
12-11-2007, 11:35 AM
going to a junk yeard and pulling a turbo off a diesel truck

85_SS_302_Coupe
12-11-2007, 08:56 PM
DIY turbo kit...hands down the best way to make huge power numbers for cheap. Just remember that cheap often doesn't equal bulletproof or does it last forever...

Give this a good long read...this guy eventually goes 10s on a junkyard turbo setup on a 351W.
http://www.toohighpsi.com/BudgetTT/BudgetTT.htm

Stangman
12-11-2007, 09:14 PM
going to a junk yeard and pulling a turbo off a diesel truck

Dang... When i was in high school i coulda had an absolutley GIANT turbo off of a 6 cylinder Caterpillar engine... that woulda been SWEEET to have... even just to look at.. would make a nice conversation piece whenever you start a project! ;)

Xowner
12-11-2007, 09:58 PM
whats a 351w handle stock for boost with a set of forged pistons safely 10 to 15???