PDA

View Full Version : hard drive camcorders, any good?

beefcake
11-24-2007, 09:19 AM
i've had 2 jvc's over the past 10 years, the first one worked great for about 7 years, and then i got another one 3 years ago that also took the mini cassettes

for some reason, it always says lense cap on, the screen goes from light to dark, it just doens't work good, i can't figure out if there is something in the settings or if it maybe just got knocked around. but it never took good videos

i got new sears add yesterday and they had a jvc that had a hard drive with a 32x optical zoom for like $450 or 500 bucks.

anyone have any experience with these type of camcorders? wife wants one thats easy to use to take vids of the kids doing sports and such, actually she would like a nice camera as well, hers has such a long delay on the flash,

grrr christmas lol

mach_u
11-24-2007, 10:57 AM
I've always been a little leary of a hard drive in a camcorder - purely because hdd's don't like a lot of jolting, so I can't imagine the lifespan would be a as good as one that say took a miniDV tape. I have been told you want to make sure you find a camera that is 3CCD as it has a better picture quality that other cameras. I have a Panasonic PV-GS150 (http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camcorders/panasonic-pv-gs150/4505-6500_7-31307916.html) and absolutely LOVE the picture on it.

cstreu1026
11-24-2007, 11:51 AM
I have the same feelings as AJ. I just don't like the idea of the hard drive. I have a Panasonic 3CCD camera as well. Mine is either the GS250 or GS350, I can't remember. Its been great.

rmracing
11-24-2007, 02:05 PM
I have a sony with a hard drive and I have had good luck with it so far.