PDA

View Full Version : anyone explain this werid noise?

Ryan218
11-24-2007, 06:35 PM
i went and had tail pipes put on my mustang friday. my exhaust consists of stock headers, mac pro chamber, flows, then tail pipes...so..on the way back into town ( 80 miles drive )as im entering town i start hearing a whistling type of noise.

when i put the prochamber on a few months ago i had a huge leak..got that fixed and its been fine till now, so i get it home put it on jack stands and check the fit, still tight and centered on the header, so my next thought...maybe the header gasket blew out..so i replaced it...nope still got the noise..and im at a lose i have no idea what it is...i taped a quick vid for you guys to see...

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t302/88Mustang302/th_88mustang11-2407004.jpg (http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t302/88Mustang302/?action=view&current=88mustang11-2407004.flv)

5.0calypso93lx
11-24-2007, 06:42 PM
LOL, the valve in your EGR tube broke. There is a tube that runs from the back of your heads, all the way up to the smog pump. Its an exhaust leak. I just capped mine off. This happens all the time.

Is the smog pump still on the car? I would pull that off and run a shorter accessory belt. Then you can either cap that tube off that is coming from the back of the heads, or you can try and take that tube off the back of the heads, but its a big PITA to get it off with the engine in the car, and then stick two bolts in the back of the heads.

Ryan218
11-24-2007, 06:59 PM
LOL, the valve in your EGR tube broke. There is a tube that runs from the back of your heads, all the way up to the smog pump. Its an exhaust leak. I just capped mine off. This happens all the time.

Is the smog pump still on the car? I would pull that off and run a shorter accessory belt. Then you can either cap that tube off that is coming from the back of the heads, or you can try and take that tube off the back of the heads, but its a big PITA to get it off with the engine in the car, and then stick two bolts in the back of the heads.

ya smog is still on the car...anyone got any pictures of what i need to do on the back of the head?

5.0calypso93lx
11-24-2007, 11:19 PM
ya smog is still on the car...anyone got any pictures of what i need to do on the back of the head?

If I were you, I would just cap the valve off. I will take a pic of how I did it on my car as soon as I can. It is a ton of work to get that tube off the back of the heads, because its so tight.

Ryan218
11-24-2007, 11:32 PM
If I were you, I would just cap the valve off. I will take a pic of how I did it on my car as soon as I can. It is a ton of work to get that tube off the back of the heads, because its so tight.

k thanks man.

Ryan218
11-26-2007, 11:30 PM
any more ideas? i can not find the problem?

chad393na
11-27-2007, 12:18 AM
When you get the tube off, just cut the ends(the solid parts were it bolts to the head) off and flip them over and bolt them back on. That will block off the thermactor holes. Then put a short belt bypassing the smog pump. It's a good idea to do this even if it's not your leak, because it's pretty common for those smog pumps to lock up. Then you are left stranded.:(

Ryan218
11-27-2007, 04:38 PM
When you get the tube off, just cut the ends(the solid parts were it bolts to the head) off and flip them over and bolt them back on. That will block off the thermactor holes. Then put a short belt bypassing the smog pump. It's a good idea to do this even if it's not your leak, because it's pretty common for those smog pumps to lock up. Then you are left stranded.:(

k ill try it and see what happens...

facemelter71
11-27-2007, 05:17 PM
Or leave the tube connected to heads and plug it with a rubber cap from autozone and put a hose clamp on there if you dont feel like messin with the bolts in the heads.Yank out the flow tube to the lower exhaust section and plug it off with the same rubber cap and clamp.Worked great on my car.

Ryan218
12-05-2007, 02:17 AM
ok guys i still havent figured this out. im not sure its an exhasut leak is the thing? could it be something else? becasue outher then that ticking whistling noise its not louder?

Stangman
12-07-2007, 07:48 PM
I have the same noise... just turn up the stereo, LOL! i still run dumps on mine... so not much noise is heard from anything! :lol:

honestly i think its where my headers meet my H-pipe... could be your issue... or not...