PDA

View Full Version : 1995 Mustang New Battery and Alt. After six Hours it wont start again. I have to jump

1992MustangDW
11-28-2007, 08:33 PM
1995 Mustang New Battery and Alt. After six Hours it wont start again. I have to jump. i have all kinds of people look at this and no one can figure it out. says is charging fine and battery recharges and says is ok. I have un plugged everything inside my car that might drain it... I cant figure it out . Can anyone help?

Walter
11-28-2007, 09:46 PM
Check your battery to engine ground.

1992MustangDW
11-29-2007, 05:14 PM
Alright, Ill Try

PaulFiveOh
11-29-2007, 07:45 PM
Also, it sounds like your on the right path for trouble shooting but I have a few more recommendations.

First isolate your remote solenoid, I don't know where it is on 95's but it goes between the batt + cable and the starter. Those can fail pretty randomly from my experience. Also be sure that it is not wheel well mounted, if it is, make sure it is all in tact.

Next, check the starter connections, make sure that everything is tight and everything looks good.

If you still don't see anything that looks suspicious it may time to try to troubleshoot the harness. From the starter, many 12+ wires stem out, use a clip on ammeter to see if you can find draw in the individual wire then go from there.

Also! Try the simple things first, if your 95 has a light in the glove compartment, take it out and if there is a trunk light, take it out. Try the the simple shit first.

Lastly, borrow a battery from a friend, put it in, and see if you have the same problems. I have seen the most fucking bizzare issues on my stang and it stemmed from a blown up battery that I bought brand new from Autozone.

Hope that helps, post up what you find out and we will see if we can further help you

1992MustangDW
11-29-2007, 08:27 PM
Man I love stangbangerz. thanks for all the help, im going out there to try it right now

Rick93coupe
11-29-2007, 08:54 PM
I've read that corroded bulb connections on tail lights can drain the battery too. The test light is your friend.

ATimpe
11-30-2007, 12:08 AM
One of the craziest things i've ever saw was a penny stuck in the ciggarete lighter draining the battery. Anyways you could always disconect the negative cable and hook a test light from the battery to the cable and see if it illuminates. If it does start pulling fuses to see if you can get it to go out. This will tell you which circuit has a current draw and maybe point you in the right direction. If it dies in 6 hours it probably has a decent amperage draw. Start w/large fuses and work your way down. Good luck!

PaulFiveOh
11-30-2007, 12:33 AM
LOL @ The Penny!!

I've never heard of that but of course it would make a large draw if not a dead short!

1992MustangDW
11-30-2007, 09:54 PM
i tried the test light and nothing helped :(. Im goin to try and swap out the battery maybe the damn thing is bad. even though my battery tester says its ok?

PaulFiveOh
11-30-2007, 10:08 PM
Get your self a good multimeter first of all.

Test your voltage on the batt terms with the key in the off position. It should read 11.9 to 13 volts.

Turn you key on but not the engine, if the voltage drops dramatically (below 11.5V) then I would guess you have a bad batt. If a new confirmed good bat does it, then start trouble shooting where I said in the first post.

chad393na
11-30-2007, 10:58 PM
Try a ammeter instead of a testlight. You may have a draw that's too small to light a testlight, but will drain your battery. A good rule of thumb is anything over 500 milliamps can cause problems. Good luck!

Walter
11-30-2007, 11:57 PM
A penny in the cig lighter will blow that circuit's fuse immediately.

PaulFiveOh
12-01-2007, 12:16 AM

Not if there is a bunch of gunk on the penny.

It will also not blow it immediately it the penny is just barely making contact with either side.

1992MustangDW
12-01-2007, 08:56 AM
I put a another new battery in it. seems like it is doing ok so far? I just bought the one that was in it like 2 weeks ago. I guess you get what you pay for.

Walter
12-02-2007, 01:56 AM
Not if there is a bunch of gunk on the penny.

It will also not blow it immediately it the penny is just barely making contact with either side.

Try it and let me know what happens.

ATimpe
12-02-2007, 09:54 PM

The car I was working on had a circuit breaker not a fuse. So while the penny was shorting the circuit the breaker was draining the batt. I have seen it more than once also