PDA

View Full Version : Any HVAC guys here?

ewalt
12-01-2007, 07:12 PM
I have a payne furnace that is basically a PITA. It fails intermittently. Sometimes, it will happen a few times a day, sometimes only a few times a week.

It's a gas furnace with electronic ignition. When it exhibits it's problem, you can watch the igniter light up like it should. Note: The igniter was just replaced as it had a crack it in, but the problem existed prior to this and still does. You can watch the first of three burners fire right up, looks good. When it works normally, a few seconds after the first burner ignites, the other two do. But when it fails, the other two burners never light up. Of course the flame sensor is at the third burner (the flame sensor has been cleaned up with emery cloth, but of course if there is no flame there it hardly matters). After three failures of this nature, the furnace locks out for (3 hours???). Once we start to feel it getting cold in the house, we can walk down, flip the breaker and it will work after we flip it back on (well, sometimes it even requires another breaker flip, but eventually will start up).

I'm trying to find out why the other two burners fail to light up correctly. My cousin installed it, but I guess he is sort of a hack :(. Anyone have any ideas?