PDA

View Full Version : Fox rear disc

fordfan
12-01-2007, 07:50 PM
Would it be easier/better to go ahead and put the Turbo coupe rear in or how bad would it be to take the disc hardware off of the t-bird rear and mount to the fox? I have 17x9 rims with 245-45 tires on them. I`m worried they might rub with the extra width of the t-bird rear. I`ve read some about this and most people say it isn`t bad either way. Or should I sell the t-bird rear and do the SN95 V6/GT rear discs? Any help in pionting me in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

chad393na
12-01-2007, 08:09 PM
Go to corral.net and do a search on this swap. There is a thread on cutting the caliper bracket and mounting it on the inside instead of the outside of the rear flange. The only thing you have to do is shim the caliper to clear the rotor and shorten the anti-moan brackets a little, and you have rear discs with the same width rear as a drum setup! Good luck!

fordfan
12-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Yeah I read that on corral that is what got me thinking about using the fox rear. I need to get the t-bird rear back into the garage and tear it down to see what all I need to do. Thanks

facemelter71
12-01-2007, 11:58 PM
I just went to the junk yard today and ripped a pair of caliper brackets and axle tube mounts off of a turbo bird.The birds axles are .75 longer per axle on each side,and i found out that some one makes the brackets to use tbirds calipers and vented rotors.Brackets are 150 shipped,and they are offset,so no mods would need to be made.But if you use the tbirds brackets there is some mods you have to do.like find a way to move them to the inside if the flange and shimm it like that guy said.Or just use the birds axles.I dont know what im doing yet with mine.Or you can buy the brackets from me for 30 bucks(the ones from the turbo bird) cuz i might buy the ones that guy has made.

fordfan
12-02-2007, 12:55 PM
I have the complete turbo coupe rear already I`ve have it for over a year now. I`m just now to the point where I want to go ahead and do it. I think I`m going to use the fox rear and the t-bird brake stuff. I have few friends who have the stuff I would need to make/modify the brackets. Now what else do I need to get? I know I read something about the master cylinder and the proportioning valve. And what brake cable do I need to get?

facemelter71
12-03-2007, 12:17 AM
10" 4 lug vented rotors
rear calipers
rear caliper brackets
Axles -- if you use the stock caliper brackets. They are 3/4" wider than the stock '87-93 units.
soft brake lines
(2)FMS M-2809-A ebrake cables for '87-92 cars, '93 Cobra units for '93 year cars
(1) FMS M-2810-A center Ebrake cable

FMS M2450-A proportioning valve solid end cap
Adjustable proportioning valve
new 2 port 4 wheel disc master cylinder (1" bore for stock front calipers or 1 1/16" for the 73mm fronts)
3-2 port master cylinder conversion. Click here to Order
2 adapter fittings to use the stock drum brake hardline with the softlines - Click here to Order

Katmandu
12-03-2007, 09:03 PM
I did this conversion on a 89LX Vert a few years back.

I feel the results (braking performance) was NOT worth all the $$$, time, labor and all the other hassel.

I will never do it again.

Remember, 70% of your braking power comes from the FRONT brakes and only 30% from the rear brakes!!!

Something to think about! :rolleyes:

chad393na
12-03-2007, 11:31 PM
I did this conversion on a 89LX Vert a few years back.

I feel the results (braking performance) was NOT worth all the $$$, time, labor and all the other hassel.

I will never do it again.

Remember, 70% of your braking power comes from the FRONT brakes and only 30% from the rear brakes!!!

Something to think about! :rolleyes:

I couldn't agree with you more. You would be better off buying bigger/better front brakes to start with, then switch to rear disc. Although it does look better seeing those rotors/calipers through the rear wheels!

Rich
12-04-2007, 12:05 AM
I put 73mm SVO calipers on the front along with a 94 mustang master cylinder and a 93 Cobra brake booster...with stock rear drums...EXCELLENT brakes. Very nice upgrade!

facemelter71
12-04-2007, 12:54 AM
Thats fine,but i just cant get past the fact that mostly all new cars come with rear disc.Must be a reason for that.Im doin it for the reason that their will be better braking and that a pad change is quicker and easier then doing rear shoes.

Katmandu
12-04-2007, 10:14 AM
Thats fine,but i just cant get past the fact that mostly all new cars come with rear disc.Must be a reason for that.Im doin it There is. Production COST!!! Easier to manufacture rear discs than drums.

for the reason that their will be better braking and that a pad change is quicker and easier then doing rear shoes.Are you going to be Road Rallying your car ?? What are your intentions with it ????

For normal (spirited) and drag racing applications. I did NOT feel a significant difference in braking power AT ALL. I even used a 94-V6 Brake Booster! (Larger tank but a PITA to install).

Also, how often are you planning on changing out rear brake pads ?? Replacing shoes on drum brakes isn't rocket science either.

You DO want improve your FRONT braking capabilities without a doubt! I upgrade mine by replacing the front calipers/pads. The stock calipers have 60mm pistons. I bough calipers that are stock on 1991 Crown Vic Police Cruisers. They have 73mm pistons. This increase gives a LARGER swept area to increase pressure on the pads.

As for front pads, I SWEAR by Performance Friction Carbon Metalics! They take a SEVERE beating without fading!

Just trying to save you Time/Money and Blood-Sweat-and Tears my friend! :cool2:

Katmandu
12-04-2007, 10:16 AM
If you still want to do it, here's a write up I have hosted on my webspace. :cool2:

http://katmanduonline.net/Tech/MustangBrakes.pdf

facemelter71
12-04-2007, 12:36 PM
Nice read,very well put together.Yea im still gonna do the upgrade,im just doing some different mod's to the bracket that bolts to the axle tube.Im sure that ill get pissed and huck a wrench threw the wall but ill get it.Thanks for the info.:bigthumb

Katmandu
12-04-2007, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the info.:bigthumbGlad to help a brother out. :bigthumb