PDA

View Full Version : School Papers

PKFIRE
12-04-2007, 05:51 PM
I have been given an assignment to write about two different Microcontrollers in my Electronics class. Northern Kentucky bought the rights to use a program called Turnitin. This program takes a students paper and compares it to anything that their database has encountered or has stored in it. The problem is that it will compare your paper to any paper that any student has written in their database or any article that is on the internet. By doing this it takes a good day for it to check out your paper and compare, which is my biggest issue. Similiarities happen and must be modified in the paper after finding similarities. As time goes on this will only get harder for people to use this slow process. Well my paper is due tomorrow. I've been waiting since 9 Am this Morning to allow it to check it again. I may have to reword it a few times to get it to the point that it doesn't look like anyone's that it has encountered. I'll turn in what I have by the due time. Hopefully the teacher will be flexible with my fellow classmates and I. What happen to the Honor System?

Sorry for dumb rant. I just miss the old way.

mustang8998
12-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Damn Joe, thats got to be hard to do. It seems that there is something written on every possible subject known to man. :(

CobraDan
12-04-2007, 08:15 PM
If you really wrote the paper, you have nothing to worry about. It's possible there could be some similarities to someone else's work, but it's not too likely. If you're writing something from someone else's work and you know its similar, like using a definition, cite the work you referenced and you're safe. Just make sure you're using your own words and writing style, and everything will work out fine.

PKFIRE
12-04-2007, 09:35 PM
Thanks guys, I went ahead and reworded the paper to hopefully reduce any similarities,lol. The Turnitin Originality Report I was waiting for was due to me by 1PM today but it's already 8:30PM so I didn't get a chance to have it review my second revision. I hope the system becomes a lot quicker in the future. Last minute papers is pretty typical in College. I'm hoping my classmates are able to get at least one originality report and be able to correct their papers before the 7:59PM turn in time is up tomorrow.