PDA

View Full Version : Pinion Seal, Again??

Stang 38L
12-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Well I havent driven the stang in about 8 weeks. (Since the cruise-in) I pulled it out the garage to move some stuff around and what do I see? A little fluid on the floor.... gear fluid from the rear end. Looks like the pinion seal. I just replaced it not even a year ago. Is it common for these things to go so soon? Maybe when I installed it I warped it?

Im not too fond of replacing it again. I know its not a lot of work, but when I did it last year and buttoned everything up I took it for a test drive and the rear end was clunking a bit on down shifts (when the car was an auto). I talked to Jills Uncle who is a mechanic and he said to tighten down the pinion nut a bit more and try it... that fixed that. I just dont want to run into issues like that again.

Any advice?

Black Horse
12-07-2007, 11:38 AM
I had to replace the one on my race car 3 times to get it to quit leaking. Sometimes you might dmage it a bit during install or it just isnt right. Try a little grease on the shaft during install to help everything slip together and seal.

Stang 38L
12-07-2007, 11:39 AM
Good advice.

hpfiend1
12-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Also- make sure to paint a mark on the pinion nut and pinion so you know where you had it so you are sure to get it back in the same place.