PDA

View Full Version : SSO question for cobra biuld

HOTROD
12-08-2007, 01:55 PM
hey guys im new here i have a 99 cobra that im wanting to have built for super street outlaw does any body know a good chassie guy that can do the cage that it close to the dayton area and reasonable ? or possibly what class i can run the car in if i back half the car with a 4-link and run a big block with nitrous any help or suggestions would be great Dennis

Sharad
12-08-2007, 02:04 PM
first of all, welcome to the board. Make a post in the newbie section to tell us who you are.

Second RIGID RACE CARS!!!

Rob is WELL WORTH the drive from Dayton to his shop. (should take around an hour or so depend on where you are located in Dayton)

HOTROD
12-08-2007, 02:29 PM
hey thanks man ill check them out im waiting to hear back from paul at pae in cinci now

mustangboy
12-08-2007, 04:45 PM
Good and reasonable don't usually go together when building a good chassis.;)

Sharad
12-08-2007, 06:27 PM
trust me, go to Rigid. Don't waste your time anywhere else.

For entertainment purposes, do a forum search here on SBZ for "paul's automotive". Enjoy.

HOTROD
12-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Good and reasonable don't usually go together when building a good chassis.;)

i mean reasonable as in can give me a price that is competitive ive been given from 10,000. to 18,000. just for the cage the difference is to much if you know what i mean ? but thanks for the input

mustang8998
12-08-2007, 11:10 PM
I don't know for sure, about a back-halved car being legal, in SSO. The rules allow for a 4-link, in stock locations, so if it is back-halved the links would all have to be in stock locations. Kind of a waste of money.

If I were to do something like you are talking about (assuming you're not hell-bent, on heads up racing), I would build a car that would qualify for quick series races, or OSM type series. There are plenty of these races run locally, more often and have decent pay-outs. The plus I see there, is there are no rules (other than normal safety equipment) that must be conformed to. More events, closer to home, less hassle. I don't see a down side.

I'm sure others on here will disagree with me, but unless you have a big racing budget, or some sort of backing, SSO is out of the average guy's reach.

But I'll agree with everyone. Ridged, is an excellent choice. No personal experience here, but I have seen the work they do and it is TOP NOTCH!

Welcome to our home and good luck!

Sharad
12-09-2007, 12:06 AM
I don't know for sure, about a back-halved car being legal, in SSO. The rules allow for a 4-link, in stock locations, so if it is back-halved the links would all have to be in stock locations. Kind of a waste of money.

Not sure what you're trying to say here...

I haven't read the '08 rules yet, but previously in the NMRA, a Back halved car would have to run Pro or Outlaw 10.5. SSO is allowed a ladder bar setup (obviously not stock locations) but the stock frame rails must be in tact.

Rick93coupe
12-09-2007, 12:06 AM
trust me, go to Rigid. Don't waste your time anywhere else.

For entertainment purposes, do a forum search here on SBZ for "paul's automotive". Enjoy.

:popcorn: Your asking for it.

Sharad
12-09-2007, 12:10 AM
:popcorn: Your asking for it.

I know rick... my keyboard's always writing checks my body can't cash. I made an exception here though. Paul's boned me back in 2003 and I guess maybe I've never forgiven them/him. They did the same thing to me that they've done to countless other people here on SBZ. That why I recommended searching the forum. I'll let other people speak for me!

JASON408
12-09-2007, 12:24 AM
I would have to say try to stay local to there is some great places to race close to home osm, osca,ohio valley and odra are all within a few hours .But kept in mine aftermaket 4 links are not legel for sso and in most of the local stuff it will put you in the pro class so going with ladder bars opens up alot more classes . But if your wanting to build a 25.2 cage some where around 14 to 18 thousand is a good start prob have 30 to 35 in the roller and a good sso motor is around 40 to 45 thousand so it not cheap . On a side note if you are wanting to go sso racing try to look into someone getting out it might be able to get a hole car for 65 or 70 and save some money and time

Rustanggt98
12-09-2007, 01:27 AM
As far as I know we (Modular Depot) have the only person working for us in this area that is actually involved with a SSO car currently (Mike Wilson, crew chief and also built a majority of Zach Posey's SSO car, that finished 5th in points this year). Give Mike a call at the shop on Monday and talk your build ideas over with him and maybe get a quote from somebody that is involved with the class every day.

Now that the shameless plug is over with, I will say that Rob's welding is some of the best in the midwest :rockon:

HOTROD
12-09-2007, 02:25 PM

If I were to do something like you are talking about (assuming you're not hell-bent, on heads up racing), I would build a car that would qualify for quick series races, or OSM type series. There are plenty of these races run locally, more often and have decent pay-outs. The plus I see there, is there are no rules (other than normal safety equipment) that must be conformed to. More events, closer to home, less hassle. I don't see a down side.

I'm sure others on here will disagree with me, but unless you have a big racing budget, or some sort of backing, SSO is out of the average guy's reach.

But I'll agree with everyone. Ridged, is an excellent choice. No personal experience here, but I have seen the work they do and it is TOP NOTCH!

Welcome to our home and good luck!

hey thanks man hadent really thought about the choices you told me about but it does help me out a lot thanks maybe ill shoot you a line to talk about it

HOTROD
12-09-2007, 02:29 PM

I haven't read the '08 rules yet, but previously in the NMRA, a Back halved car would have to run Pro or Outlaw 10.5. SSO is allowed a ladder bar setup (obviously not stock locations) but the stock frame rails must be in tact.
yeah thats my understanding that the car would be a ladder bar set up and that the inboard side of the rails cant be modified and the out side of them cant be modified more than 1or 2 inches

HOTROD
12-09-2007, 02:34 PM
I would have to say try to stay local to there is some great places to race close to home osm, osca,ohio valley and odra are all within a few hours .But kept in mine aftermaket 4 links are not legel for sso and in most of the local stuff it will put you in the pro class so going with ladder bars opens up alot more classes . But if your wanting to build a 25.2 cage some where around 14 to 18 thousand is a good start prob have 30 to 35 in the roller and a good sso motor is around 40 to 45 thousand so it not cheap . On a side note if you are wanting to go sso racing try to look into someone getting out it might be able to get a hole car for 65 or 70 and save some money and time

well i have the motor already and it was built for a 06 carbon fiber body full tube chassie pro 5.0 car that a friend was going to build but he got out of racing he sold his old car to phil hines an orange 01 SSO car

Sharad
12-09-2007, 03:10 PM
wren vanderpool...

The motor isn't the big block Gregg built for Wren, is it?

HOTROD
12-09-2007, 03:41 PM
wren vanderpool...

The motor isn't the big block Gregg built for Wren, is it?

i dont know who greg is is he in michigan ? and pop is a VERY good friend of mine and my wife's

mustang8998
12-09-2007, 05:19 PM

Thats why I said that I was unsure. I was not trying to be misleading.

My whole point, was about the budget required to run that series. If the guy wants a back-half car, there are plenty of locally run series, as mentioned, and you don't have conform to strict class rules. Even better, no teardown, if you win. :bigthumb

mustang8998
12-09-2007, 05:26 PM
As far as I know we (Modular Depot) have the only person working for us in this area that is actually involved with a SSO car currently (Mike Wilson, crew chief and also built a majority of Zach Posey's SSO car, that finished 5th in points this year).

What about Phil Hines? He is owner and driver and local and still involved, in the class (unless I missed something).

barkey
12-09-2007, 05:36 PM
What about Phil Hines? He is owner and driver and local and still involved, in the class (unless I missed something).

I think Gary Rohe does his chassis work

Rustanggt98
12-09-2007, 05:43 PM

I was under the impression we were looking for people to build your car, I wouldn't count Phil in that category

mustang8998
12-09-2007, 07:18 PM
I was under the impression we were looking for people to build your car, I wouldn't count Phil in that category

#1. I don't know how much Phil knows, about the fab work involved. But I'm sure he knows the people who do.

#2. I'm sure Phil is aware of what the rules are, for the class.

So, in essence, yes, I would count Phil in that class!

Not trying to bust your balls, but MD and Mike, are not the only game in town.

And yes Barkey, Gray does do chassis work (I don't think he did Phil's car, but I could be wrong.), but I can't remember the name of his shop. Everything that I've seen, from Gary's shop, looked to be great quality. I haven't been out to Gary's shop, since he went at it full time, but I'm sure he will stay busy with it.

Timido
12-09-2007, 08:45 PM
I would look hard at NMRA classifieds and www.racingjunk.com find a well built roller and save a bunch. I guess saving money and SSO doesnt really go side by side.

347sc
12-09-2007, 08:59 PM
Gary does work on Phils cars

HOTROD
12-09-2007, 09:00 PM
I think Gary Rohe does his chassis work

mark at race craft built that car and the last time i seen it nothing on the chassie was ever been changed !!!!!!!!!!

HOTROD
12-09-2007, 09:05 PM
#1. I don't know how much Phil knows, about the fab work involved. But I'm sure he knows the people who do.

#2. I'm sure Phil is aware of what the rules are, for the class.

So, in essence, yes, I would count Phil in that class!

Not trying to bust your balls, but MD and Mike, are not the only game in town.

And yes Barkey, Gray does do chassis work (I don't think he did Phil's car, but I could be wrong.), but I can't remember the name of his shop. Everything that I've seen, from Gary's shop, looked to be great quality. I haven't been out to Gary's shop, since he went at it full time, but I'm sure he will stay busy with it.
im open to who ever can point me to a local shop or close at least and phil has a bad as car so he should know a great deal right

Rustanggt98
12-09-2007, 10:15 PM
forget I even said anything. Good luck with the build:rolleyes:

Sharad
12-09-2007, 10:25 PM
okay, so since we're forgetting Md... Rigid Race Cars. You will not be disappointed.

mustang8998
12-09-2007, 10:39 PM
forget I even said anything. Good luck with the build:rolleyes:

Aww, don't go away all made Biff! I was not knocking MD or Mike, in any way. Only pointing out, that Mike isn't the only one in the area, involved with SSO.

My car will still go to MD, for a tune (if I ever get it done). :bigthumb

Rob
12-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Thanks guys for the plugs, I have done work on both of Posey's cars and work on Phil Hines car as well. PM sent :bigthumb

HOTROD
12-10-2007, 01:46 PM
hey guys thanks for all the advice on where to go , but i think RRC is going to get my buissiness he seeems to be on the same level that our shop is at small and striving to be bigger and dedicated

Byrd Man
12-10-2007, 10:01 PM
okay, so since we're forgetting Md... Rigid Race Cars. You will not be disappointed.

Huh...you are funny Sharad.

Sharad
12-10-2007, 10:47 PM
Huh...you are funny Sharad.

I was just being goofy. I readily admit that Md is THE premiere modular builder.

Maximus
12-10-2007, 11:11 PM
Thanks guys for the plugs, I have done work on both of Posey's cars and work on Phil Hines car as well. PM sent :bigthumb

AND you have a "few" cars that are/will be featured in Nationwide magazines.:bigthumb

YouGotJunk
12-11-2007, 08:33 AM
AND you have a "few" cars that are/will be featured in Nationwide magazines.:bigthumb

Man I didn't know Rigid built cars like Ackbars...

Sharad
12-11-2007, 10:51 AM
LOL!!!!