PDA

View Full Version : Check engine light

Adams89
12-13-2007, 10:38 AM
I'm replacing the stock guage cluster with autometer ultra lights. This car is fuel injected. Did 89 lx's have a check engine light. I got a wiring chart off the internet but it does not show a wire going to a check engine light. The cluster I took out, looks as if it is out of a newer vehicle (which was probably the cause of most of my electrical problems since they didn't change the wiring to match :mad:). This cluster has a check engine light, but since I don't have the original cluster I am unsure if 87-89 had a check engine light at all. Plz help if u can.

facemelter71
12-13-2007, 01:02 PM
I know my 89 has a check engine light. and i know my 86 does also.So yea it does have a light.But it wont light up unless some thing like a o2 sensor takes a dump.But even then it might not light up.

mustang8998
12-13-2007, 08:13 PM
Yes they did.

There is a way to run codes, on all EFI models. You jump two of the pins, in the connector and the CEL will flash. (You have to have a shop manual, to know the sequence.) I just don't remember which pins to jump.

Is the different harness from an airbag model? Could be something different there, but I'm not sure.

facemelter71
12-14-2007, 12:36 AM
I didnt think air bags were'nt till 91,when mustangs didnt have the tilt wheel option,I could be wrong though.I have a ford code reader for the older style fords with the eec4 connector.I also have the cheat book for codes and meanings.Let me know.

quik lx
12-14-2007, 08:34 AM
87-90 had the warning lights in the lower right hand of the gauge surround panel (large black plastic piece with headlight and hazard switches) 91-93 they were in the actual gauge cluster (center). That would explain why theres no wire going to the check engine light on the gauge wiring diagram.

Carl
12-14-2007, 06:00 PM
my 90GT had the CEL in the dash... not on the surround.

WhiteT
12-15-2007, 06:15 PM
Adam, looks like that gauge cluster that was in the car is from a '91+ car.

FYI, This car Adam bought had cluster problems. Looks like the problems were from someone putting a '91+ cluster in it. When we started to figure out what wires went to what, we noticed that the '91+ clusters are wired completely different than the older ones. We're Mustang newb's:lol:

quik lx
12-16-2007, 11:23 AM
my 90GT had the CEL in the dash... not on the surround.

your right Carl! After researching the Bible (Kirschenbaum tech reference manual) The warning lights were moved to the center once the airbags were installed. Apparently you could'nt see it around the larger steering wheel.

So its 87-89 and 90-93 are different.

This wouldnt happen to be a red GT bought around the Goshen area would it?

WhiteT
12-17-2007, 12:19 AM
your right Carl! After researching the Bible (Kirschenbaum tech reference manual) The warning lights were moved to the center once the airbags were installed. Apparently you could'nt see it around the larger steering wheel.

So its 87-89 and 90-93 are different.

This wouldnt happen to be a red GT bought around the Goshen area would it?

It's white, used to be red. Not sure where he bought it.

Adams89
12-17-2007, 11:14 AM
This car is a whore. Almost a dozen different owners have had there hands on her. It's been auctioned, repoed, wrecked twice and God only knows what else. What can I say, I was looking for a challenge! Its a 89 lx hatchback that was originally red. I'm coming to the conclusion that before I can do anything fun, I'm going to have to go through the whole car to fix almost two decades worth of abuse. I appreciate all the info, you guys are a wealth of information.
Since none of the charts I have found show a check engine light wire in the harness, I guess I'll just run the Autometer guages and a light for low oil pressure.