PDA

View Full Version : Anderson Mercy Emergency Room

Stang849
12-17-2007, 02:00 AM
I just want to give a huge thanks Anderson Mercy hospital :angel:.

On saturday morning, my heart went into Atrial fibulation (sp) for the second time in 5 years. The last time, just before they were going to give me medicine, I converted back on my own. This time they decided that I was going to get medication, and will now have to take it for the rest of my life. The meds helped but didn't convert me. They ended up cardioinverting (sp) me, or stopping my heart and shocking it back into its normal rhythm. So for about 10 seconds on saturday i was officially dead, but thanks to the great staff at the hospital I'm still here to terrorize this planet :cool1:

Everyone please have a Save and Happy Holiday Season!!!!!!

mustangboy
12-17-2007, 02:26 AM
I'm glad you could come back to join us. Enjoy the rest of your stay, hopefully a long one.:bigthumb

Camaro86SHOCKER
12-17-2007, 03:35 AM
my moms a nurse in that emergency room. Glad your still around.

MrsAPE
12-17-2007, 09:10 AM
WOW...glad your ok!!

mach_u
12-17-2007, 09:18 AM
Glad to hear things went well! :bigthumb

DeckerEnt
12-17-2007, 09:28 AM
Turn away from the light!!! Glad you came back.
On a side note, what are the meds going to cost you?
Keith

bobtsgt
12-17-2007, 09:36 AM
sounds like you had some fun. Glad everything is alright

Mr.Moontang
12-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Glad your ok Scott.

Holly
12-17-2007, 09:42 AM
I just want to give a huge thanks Anderson Mercy hospital :angel:.

I'm glad they finally did something right. I know they have at least 4 malpractice suits against them right now, and those are just the ones I know of.

Glad you are doing okay, but next time, go to Christ for heart problems. Take it from me. ;)

tcorns
12-17-2007, 02:23 PM
just curious if they did the cardioversion using drugs or electicaly? i have seen it done both ways and it makes my butt pucker just watching. i could never imagine being on the receiving end of it. hope it works out for you.

trev

92StangMan
12-17-2007, 02:36 PM
"So for about 10 seconds on saturday i was officially dead"

That would freak me out.

85_SS_302_Coupe
12-17-2007, 05:31 PM
Wow kick ass man....glad you're ok :rockon:

brncoupe5.0
12-17-2007, 06:16 PM
Ill agree with Holly, they liked to killed my mother.Christ hospital is the ticket.Im still happy to hear your doin alright.

Stang849
12-17-2007, 08:08 PM
Thanks guys! I'm glad I'm still here too :D

just curious if they did the cardioversion using drugs or electicaly? i have seen it done both ways and it makes my butt pucker just watching. i could never imagine being on the receiving end of it. hope it works out for you.

trev

They tried to get it done with drugs first, then did it with electricity, I have the burns on my chest to prove it. :cool1:. Being on the receiving end didn't really scare me, but then again I have always been the type of person that if its my time, its my time, nothing I can do about it.

DeckerEnt the meds are going to cost me 25 a month for a copay, no generic right now for it I guess

Ryan218
12-17-2007, 08:40 PM
wow thats crazy...good thing your ok!!

fastone
12-17-2007, 10:50 PM

trev

Just FYI, A-fib is some what a very common thing in older people these days, most older people walk around with it, not saying anyone on here it that old! And as for cardioversion, this is only done with being shocked, they can give meds to help with the pain of being shocked, but there is not a med out there that you can truely "cardiovert" someone with.

Off the Cardioversion thing, how fast was your heart? Im guessing somewhere in the 160-180+ for them to shock you!?

Stang849
12-17-2007, 11:25 PM
Just FYI, A-fib is some what a very common thing in older people these days, most older people walk around with it, not saying anyone on here it that old! And as for cardioversion, this is only done with being shocked, they can give meds to help with the pain of being shocked, but there is not a med out there that you can truely "cardiovert" someone with.

Off the Cardioversion thing, how fast was your heart? Im guessing somewhere in the 160-180+ for them to shock you!?

My heart rate was jumping between 100 and 190bpm. The nurses aid even asked how can the heart do that as she was watching the machine. You could actually see my ribcage bouncing the way it was beating. Before they decided to shock me, the medicine they gave me actually had my heart rate down to 75 to 80, but I was still in A-fib. I couldn't tell at that time, but you could see it on the monitor.

fastone
12-17-2007, 11:36 PM
My heart rate was jumping between 100 and 190bpm. The nurses aid even asked how can the heart do that as she was watching the machine. You could actually see my ribcage bouncing the way it was beating. Before they decided to shock me, the medicine they gave me actually had my heart rate down to 75 to 80, but I was still in A-fib. I couldn't tell at that time, but you could see it on the monitor.

Were you having any other problems???? Like didn't where you were or anything like that??? I have seen A-fib anywhere from 60's to well over 220. Took a guy in about two weeks ago running anywhere from 160-220's and he was short of breath that was it. They will not let us shock A-fib in the field unless you get a drunk doctor when you call into the hospital. Shocking A-fib can be bad, sometimes the shock (aka re-start) doesn't want to restart!!! Glad to hear things are doing better for you!!!!

'92Stang
12-17-2007, 11:40 PM
Glad your still with us, and your family:bigthumb God bless, and good luck in the future.

Stang849
12-17-2007, 11:48 PM
Were you having any other problems???? Like didn't where you were or anything like that???

Nope no other problems. I drove myself to the hospital, sliding the her jeep all over the place in the snow. I don't know if age has anything to do with it, since I'm only 35, or if blood pressure has any effect either, it was 123 over 92 when i went in.

89notch
12-17-2007, 11:54 PM
Were you having any other problems???? Like didn't where you were or anything like that??? I have seen A-fib anywhere from 60's to well over 220. Took a guy in about two weeks ago running anywhere from 160-220's and he was short of breath that was it. They will not let us shock A-fib in the field unless you get a drunk doctor when you call into the hospital. Shocking A-fib can be bad, sometimes the shock (aka re-start) doesn't want to restart!!! Glad to hear things are doing better for you!!!!

Where do you work? Our protocol is the same but the answer is usually to give them a little more diesel and let the doc handle it

fastone
12-18-2007, 05:35 PM
Where do you work? Our protocol is the same but the answer is usually to give them a little more diesel and let the doc handle it

Check your PM, but I work full time and part time at another FD in KY as a firefighter/medic...... The cops and fire guys on here will tell you, the retirement is great!!!!!

aperacer
12-18-2007, 10:17 PM
cardioversion makes getting hit with a taser like licking a 9volt battery.

glad to hear all is well.. buddy of mine is an er tech out there... he is also a medic/firefighter part time out here. (sycamore township)

fastone
12-18-2007, 10:20 PM
I have seen a couple people cardioverted in the field, i was on the runs, just didnt get to hit the button to do it!!! But those two got loaded up on some happy meds before getting the shock..... makes it a little better from what i hear! but i really dont want to find out for myself!

aperacer
12-19-2007, 07:55 PM
some years ago... my dad... retired medic for the city of cincinnati. had dr. orders do convert someone with out pain meds. after asking the dr. twice about the meds. told the women" this is going to hurt like nothing you can ever think of" it did not take the first time... had to do it twice.... bad day to be in svt.