PDA

View Full Version : Welder?

Timido
12-17-2007, 09:02 PM
Whats a good auto hobby welder? I plan on welding floors, sheet metel, and who knows what else. 110 mig, 220 mig, Small Tig???? I can do a little stick and mig welding.

plated
12-17-2007, 09:10 PM
i bought one from koi it's nice as hell,it's a 220 mig,i bought a hobart high amp didn't like it at all,got a refund and bought the one i have now,perfect for what your doing http://www.nextag.com/Power-Products-Inc-CLAWE8000-86972489/prices-html?nxtg=d580a240519-4CC2A499CA63F200 try koi there paint dept,if u need a discount pm me i'll get u the hook up on one

ibstrokin
12-17-2007, 09:21 PM
You can get great prices on lincoln welder's on ebay

JASON408
12-17-2007, 09:31 PM
if your using a 110 i like a hobart and a miller and lincoln are all good pieces just make sure you get one with a high duty cycle . but if you have the money a 220 will weld alot better and it will weld thicker metel and are much easier to use .

Timido
12-17-2007, 09:31 PM
Is yours a Clarke? I was reading a bunch of stuff on Hotrodders.com and one of the things that I remember is that the Clarke welders are reasonable and work real good.

Maximus
12-17-2007, 09:36 PM
http://www.weldingweb.com/

bobtsgt
12-17-2007, 10:03 PM
if your using a 110 i like a hobart and a miller and lincoln are all good pieces just make sure you get one with a high duty cycle . but if you have the money a 220 will weld alot better and it will weld thicker metel and are much easier to use .

X2 the miller is very nice but I have been using a 110V Lincoln for the past 5 years at work with no problem. Its not a MIG either just a wire feed. Get a mig whatever you do.

Stangman
12-17-2007, 10:57 PM
I have a hobart i got from tractor supply... i like it

PonymanfiveO
12-17-2007, 11:40 PM
Buy a good one once and work it hard forever. Buy a Miller. ;)

tcorns
12-18-2007, 01:33 AM
i run a clarke 130 en mig. great little welder, but that is all it is... a little welder. i can run it with and without shielding gas. great for anything less then 3/16 inch. i also have a hobart tigmate. something to think about if you want quality, and you decide on miller... all of the lower end hobarts are miller welders with different paint and lower price. my hobart tig came packaged in a miller box. i did confirm that with miller before i bought one. i would reccomend that you spend as much as you can on a welder. never know when you are going to want to weld something big.

trev

DeckerEnt
12-18-2007, 08:31 AM
Going to get that welder for your birthday today?? Happy Birthday!!! The big 33. LOL
Keith

Kevin Doe
12-18-2007, 10:30 AM
I've had a Hobart Handler 135 for quite some time now. Its a good little welder when I need to MIG something.

93cobra
12-18-2007, 06:15 PM
i have a hobart handler... works best with solid core wire & gas. never even fooled with the flux....paid around $500...ish when it was on sale a year or two ago...

never had a problem & have been through a few large spools of wire...

92coupe
12-18-2007, 06:30 PM
i have a hobart handler... works best with solid core wire & gas. never even fooled with the flux....paid around $500...ish when it was on sale a year or two ago...

never had a problem & have been through a few large spools of wire...

Hobart definetly makes good machines, Just make sure to change your wire liner every 4-6 spools of wire for longer life on the wheels.

Timido
12-18-2007, 10:04 PM
Is the Tig take longer to get good with than the mig which I have a little experience.

93cobra
12-19-2007, 12:07 AM
Is the Tig take longer to get good with than the mig which I have a little experience.

i "being a amateur welder" think mig is way easier. I've tried tigging a few times at my buddies (he had settings already dialed) which was more challenging to me...learnable but a little tricky.

i got my hands on a bunch of scrap steel from motorcycle crates for free...& just kept playing & practicing:cool1: it is addicting. i know one thing...after fooling with it yourself it makes you appreciate real welders:eek:

Kevin Doe
12-19-2007, 01:23 PM
I actually prefer TIG welding over MIG welding for 99% of the stuff I weld. I have a Miller Maxstar 140STR for my DC tig welding, and a Miller Dynasty 200DX for my A/C needs. I love both of them. The maxstar is amazing. Its smaller than the size of a shoebox.

tcorns
12-19-2007, 02:18 PM
i perfer to use tig. for whatever reason... i have never been able to run a mig welder. so for me i tack something together with a mig and then weld it with the tig. when i was in A&P school we were taught OA welding and tig to me is very comparable to it in terms of puddle control and filler use. i also believe it is a stronger, cleaner weld process. but it is pretty expensive to get started. either way get the biggest machine that you can afford.

trev

Holly
12-19-2007, 02:48 PM
Whats a good auto hobby welder?

Vinny picked his up at Harbor Freight. I just sold it to my brother, I didn't need a welder. ;)

Timido
04-06-2008, 08:47 PM
Well I finally came accros a deal and bought a used Hobart 187 it sounds like the perfect welder for me big enough to grow into and turns down low enough for thin sheet metal. Now I need a bottle and wire the garage for 220!

djom1cincy
04-06-2008, 09:41 PM
A little advice. I"ve been welding for 12 years. I can tig, mig, stick weld anything out there. I've done stuff from sheet metal, heavy equipment, areo space, and pipe. I'm x-ray cert for stick, mig, and tig. If your looking for a welding machine for car stuff go with a mig. Tig welding is clean and nice looking from someone who has done it for years and knows what there doing. It is not good for thin sheet metal. It puts to much heat into it and ends up warping unless you take your sweet ass time. Mig is a lot easier for thin sheet metal. With a little practice you will have it down in no time. Just spend the money and get a good mig machine. You will have less problems out of it. Mig can be a pain with the wrong machine. I would also tell you to get one with a bottle of gas. It's not always needed with the small stuff but it works out better and you will need it for anything thicker. Any questions feel free to ask.

mustangboy
04-06-2008, 10:31 PM
Well its about time you spent some money.

shep
04-06-2008, 11:27 PM
I would go to Indiana oxygen for the tanks...thats where we get our shizzle.

MCHNROL
04-07-2008, 12:16 AM
A little advice. I"ve been welding for 12 years. I can tig, mig, stick weld anything out there. I've done stuff from sheet metal, heavy equipment, areo space, and pipe. I'm x-ray cert for stick, mig, and tig. If your looking for a welding machine for car stuff go with a mig. Tig welding is clean and nice looking from someone who has done it for years and knows what there doing. It is not good for thin sheet metal. It puts to much heat into it and ends up warping unless you take your sweet ass time. Mig is a lot easier for thin sheet metal. With a little practice you will have it down in no time. Just spend the money and get a good mig machine. You will have less problems out of it. Mig can be a pain with the wrong machine. I would also tell you to get one with a bottle of gas. It's not always needed with the small stuff but it works out better and you will need it for anything thicker. Any questions feel free to ask.

What about cab corners for a pickup? Is that to thick for mig? Ill be looking for a welder this summer, if you are interested PM me.