PDA

View Full Version : Hot off the press..........................

69Cobra
12-25-2007, 12:54 AM
Well got word tonight that Thorn hill Dragway has been sold and is now going to be a private airport. I believe Thorn hill opened in 1953 and was originally a dirt track. My Dad was actually one of the flag man starters back in the day. Hopefully this can be confirmed or denied by a better source. But if this is true I would like to have a moment of silence for a track that we will probably never get back.:mad::(

93cobra
12-25-2007, 01:02 AM
damn that sucks! i'll fly anyone down when its a runway if they want.......

ponymom05
12-25-2007, 11:36 AM
Damn, I'm gonna' miss the sounds of the track when out in my yard at night! Oh well, hopefully whoever builds the airport will be able to measure distances better than the track could. If they say 60' and it's really 58', that could cause a problem with aircraft! The end of an era, another track lost...:(

08 Vette
12-25-2007, 11:38 AM
I remember racing off of the clocks back in the day.
Hate to see it go!

Blacksunshine
12-25-2007, 12:09 PM
Ahhh man that sucks.

mustangboy
12-25-2007, 12:39 PM
That rumor has been flying around for a long time. It would not surprise me if Al finally sold the place. I'll see what I can find out today.

JonS
12-25-2007, 01:46 PM
I never raced there, but you always hate to see a track close. It's a lot easier to close one than open a new one.:(

69Cobra
12-25-2007, 10:14 PM
That rumor has been flying around for a long time. It would not surprise me if Al finally sold the place. I'll see what I can find out today.

Yeah, tomorrow I'm going to call a friend of mine that races down there all the time and his dad helps Al run the track so if anybody knows for sure it will be him.

mustang8998
12-26-2007, 07:29 PM
Dragstrips and rumors, go hand in hand. Seems like there is a new one every year.

I know Thornhill, has been for sale (can't find a link though) for a couple years. Also can't find any other info, on line.

It was also rumored that the Louden's sold Tri-State, but I've heard (through credible sources), that is myth.

Now if Engle could get the go-ahead! :bigthumb

dedpedal
12-27-2007, 08:59 AM
I wish there was a couple more tracks within easy driving distance. We have it pretty good tho , compared to others who drive an hour or more to the nearest track.

Jeff88coupe
01-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Here is the MLS listing for it
http://nky.rapmls.com/scripts/mgrqispi.dll?APPNAME=Nokentucky&PRGNAME=MLSPropertyDetail&ARGUMENTS=-N371954284,-N133842,-N,-A,-N7887464

Maximus
01-07-2008, 02:02 PM
$3M....then another $1M to update.
Too bad the restrictions dont allow late races.:(

mustangboy
01-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Actually $589k will buy it. I did hear a group of lawyers bought it to use as a private airstrip.

Blk88GT
01-08-2008, 11:08 AM
I wish there was a couple more tracks within easy driving distance. We have it pretty good tho , compared to others who drive an hour or more to the nearest track.

You guys have no idea. We have one track within an hour. One more is 4 hours away in the USA, and the next one is 7 hours away in Saskatchewan.

bestracing
01-17-2008, 09:59 AM
Hate to see it go!

I've done that back in 84-87 along with watching at least one fight a night out there.

Yknot
01-20-2008, 12:33 AM
Check this out, My dad and his car club were the ones that helped build it. They used our old tractor, new then, to help with the dirt work.

mustang8998
01-20-2008, 04:29 PM
I was talking to a buddy of mine, a couple weeks ago. I know he runs at TH, so I asked him if he had heard anything. At the time, he said he hadn't. Then last week, he informed me, that his son and a couple of his buddies, were trying to get the paperwork and financing done, to buy the track.

Maybe some hope. :bigthumb

Hrod382
02-17-2008, 12:37 AM
It's pending, likely sold as of last weekend. Workers have been told to report the first weekend of April. Might be a chance for being open more hours/additional night to generate cashflow, guess we'll just have to wait and see.

INSANEBA
03-16-2008, 11:14 PM
My local dragstrip has been under the gun for 5 years now. To make matters worse, the owner passed away 2 years ago, RIP Bill Guthrey. His wife took it over, and ran it into the ground, and now their son-in-law owns it. He does have the money to "up-date" it, and has already added another night of racing on wednesday. At least he's trying to keep it alive, and improve it for the future. I hate to see any track close, our sport is slowly being killed off by politicians. And they bitch at us about street racing ???WTF!!!

Black Horse
03-17-2008, 07:31 AM
Hate to see it go!

As old as you are, I'm surprised it wasn't sundials!

I remeber the running off the clocks and having to tow my buddies Chevy home with a rope.

I hope the lastest rumors stay true and we don't loose another place.

Goober
03-17-2008, 10:34 AM
My local dragstrip has been under the gun for 5 years now. To make matters worse, the owner passed away 2 years ago, RIP Bill Guthrey. His wife took it over, and ran it into the ground, and now their son-in-law owns it. He does have the money to "up-date" it, and has already added another night of racing on wednesday. At least he's trying to keep it alive, and improve it for the future. I hate to see any track close, our sport is slowly being killed off by politicians. And they bitch at us about street racing ???WTF!!!

I hear ya there. I didn't know we had a drag strip close to Lima.