PDA

View Full Version : springs

Steves LX
01-03-2008, 01:17 PM
I am currently running 4 cyl springs in the front and rear. I have been considering going to a coilovers up front with strange 10 way adjustables. Craig has a set of strange 12-170 springs that I was going to purchase. My 60's N/A right now on D/R's are 1.79 - 1.83. I plan to run on ET drags this year. Will this switch from 4 cyl springs to coil overs make that much of a difference or should I stick with what I have? MY K member and LCA's are stock.

Stangman
01-03-2008, 02:43 PM
you should make your car sit like rob's :D

Steves LX
01-03-2008, 03:12 PM
I could do that with coilover's. I just want to make sure that the benefits are going to be worth it before I go to Craig's and spend the money. I am not going to do it if I am only going to pick up a tenth or two.

ibstrokin
01-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Your cheapest option would probably be replacing your springs with a set of moroso trick springs( non coilover ), and you would be lucky to pick up 1 to 1.5/10. But that's how your car evolves over time, the more power you make, the more important this stuff is.

Replacing your front springs with drag springs (non coilover) will probably the nose of your car, but it will transfer better.

Steves LX
01-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Whats a set of those run? Right now to do the coil over conversion I am spending right around 200.00 for the kit. I need struts, the driver side one on there right now is bad. So the money I spend on those has to be spent. I have 70/30's on there now. I plan to go with the Strange adjustables over the Lakewoods

JonS
01-03-2008, 03:39 PM
If you aren't going to go with a tubular front end I would stick with conventional springs. They have a lot more stored energy and I would venture to say that to a certain point will work better than a coilover as far as weight transfer goes. The adjustability is nice with a coilover, it just depends what your goals are for the car.

ibstrokin
01-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Whats a set of those run? Right now to do the coil over conversion I am spending right around 200.00 for the kit. I need struts, the driver side one on there right now is bad. So the money I spend on those has to be spent. I have 70/30's on there now. I plan to go with the Strange adjustables over the Lakewoods

Are you sure that strut is bad, those don't have very many miles at all, is it leaking fluid?

Steves LX
01-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Brian I am not 100% but I know everytime you hit any size bump in the road or just to drive in gravel ( my driveway) you can here it going clunk clunk clunk. If thats not it I'm not sure what it is. I know it tends to be worse when its cold than it is after you drive for awhile. I know when my factory ones went bad it sounded the same. But hey I could be wrong. Any ideas as to what else or what to look for or how to check it for sure before I go replacing them.

JASON408
01-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Till you hit certian hoursepower the stock springs work better than coil overs alot more stored energy some where around 11.00 to 10.50s you should start thinking about it .Most people switch for weight when there switching to a aftemarket front end . I know a few drag radial cars running stock style springs going 8.10 in the 1/4 . Its hard to beat lakewood 90/10s and 4cyl springs in the front . I would just put some strange adjustables on the front and call it a day

fst 5pto
01-03-2008, 04:21 PM
I have a set of Eibach Drag Springs for sale... PM me if youre interested.

facemelter71
01-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Just to let you know.When you do a strange coil over setup,you need a caster camber kit to be installed or else they will not work.Just an FYI.

ibstrokin
01-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Well, a sure fire way to improve your 60' is slicks and spray, just ask Jason,:bigthumb

Steves LX
01-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Well I have C&C plates. Brian I have the spray and I just picked up 2 draglites with 26X8.5 MT ET drags from Orangecoupe. I have never sprayed out of the hole. I usually wait until 2nd or 3rd gear. I am wanting to spray out of the hole this year with 125 shot. I just hope I dont break anything now that I will be running on slicks

ibstrokin
01-03-2008, 08:23 PM
What axles do you have, Ive seen 13 sec cars break stock axles, and I also seen guys go low 11's on stock axles(before they broke, but they did break).

I would inspect those struts, your noise may be coming from something else. Honestly, I switched to the strange adj.'s and really haven't seen an advantage yet(compared to the 70/30's). I still want to play with them more next yr before have a serious opinion. But your struts aren't slowing your 60', unless one is actually bad.

Maybe someone will chime in on the proper way to test a strut.

Steves LX
01-04-2008, 12:36 AM
I have stock 28 spline axles from a sn95 in there. My times right now on motor are 1280's-12.90's. On 100 shot spraying from 2nd gear on my best time is 12.33 on DR's. I plan to sray 125 on the slicks right out of the hole. So any suggestions would be great since I drive my car to the track and back home and I live well over an hour from the track. The last thing I want is to break at the track.

replicobra
01-04-2008, 12:29 PM
hey man this may sound backwards, but have you thought of switching your rear springs? the year before last i was at the same point you r at. i had 4 cyl springs all around and went to all upr front end with coilovers and 90/10s. even with the k member and a arms my sixty foots didn't drop. the car transfered so hard it bottomed out on the rear end but my times still sucked. i started making more horspwer at the wheels and went faster with the same sixty foots. i started thinking it was my torque converter so i called art carr and talked to a tech guy. he ran down every part on my car and when i said it had soft springs out back he stopped me and said pull them out.he said he was friends with david wolfe of racecraft and said the rear springs were my problem. he gave me some good reasons and guaranteed me STIFF REAR SPRINGS would fix my problem. i took his advice and bought a pair out a 2000 v6 car and changed them. it cost me $20 and took me 20 min to change. i drove straight to tri state. the car rode better, handled better and sat better. i got there and first pass dropped 2 tenths of my 60. went from 1.81 best to a 1.61 that day.

Steves LX
01-04-2008, 12:53 PM
I'm willing to try anything. I can get those springs for free from a friend that I work with. I might try that. I'm sure with slicks my 60's will go down. But now it sounds like I am going to need to upgrade my axles to 31 spline from 28. That means I also need a new carrier. I didn't give that much thought when I bought these slicks. So I am on the hunt for some used ones before I have to break down and buy some new ones.

replicobra
01-04-2008, 07:46 PM
thats cool man. good luck. just remember the whole time your rear end is dropping down (before your springs stop), you are not moving foward. killz the 60 foot.