PDA

View Full Version : '99 Ranger 3.0 calls for platinum plugs...are they necessary?

85_SS_302_Coupe
01-04-2008, 05:14 PM
I need some real hard facts on platinum plugs to end a debate with me and a guy i know. I put plugs in my mom's Ranger, and it called for platinums but i hate them with every thread of my being so i got regular copper Autolites for it. I gapped them and stuck'em in and it runs smooth as silk. He says they won't last 5k miles, i think he's crazy. Can anyone give me some facts on this? My understanding is that platinum is good for lasting longer but does nothing for performance. Are there any reasons i would HAVE to run platinums?

347sc
01-04-2008, 05:17 PM
You will be fine. He tried to upsale you for the more expensive plug.

85_SS_302_Coupe
01-04-2008, 06:06 PM
This is one of my GM friends....who used to work for Napa so his car knowledge is basically part numbers and manufacturer recommendations. It still had a slight miss and was still throwing a misfire code for cylinder #6 so i put plug wires on it and now it's really running smooth.

chad393na
01-05-2008, 12:02 AM
Yes, the platinums offer no better performance, they just last longer. I've taken original ones out of cars with over 100k on them, and they still looked relatively good. The coppers will probably last 30-40k.