PDA

View Full Version : Nice Vaccum ???

BUHBYY
01-13-2008, 09:02 PM
The wife and I are sick of spending 100-150 on a vac once a year so I am gonna pony up Dyson or Oreck or something along those lines , so seeing that alot of peeps own homes have pets etc on here I am checking here first for anyone's advice and or if anyone has or knows of a good vaccum ....

bobtsgt
01-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Dyson all the way. The sucking power in one of those will surprise you whats burried under the fibers. We have 2 dogs and this bad boy does a great job. We have the yellow one.

ibstrokin
01-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Dyson all the way. The sucking power in one of those will surprise you whats burried under the fibers. We have 2 dogs and this bad boy does a great job. We have the yellow one.

How long have you had it?

PaulFiveOh
01-13-2008, 09:43 PM
The wife and I are sick of spending 100-150 on a vac once a year so I am gonna pony up Dyson or Oreck or something along those lines , so seeing that alot of peeps own homes have pets etc on here I am checking here first for anyone's advice and or if anyone has or knows of a good vaccum ....

I've heard those things really suck.

On a serious note- The DC17 (Dyson Animal, the purple one) is the best you can buy. I the DC15 and DC17 each have a 5 year warranty.

bobtsgt
01-13-2008, 10:01 PM
How long have you had it?
over a year. Works just like it did from day one.

Black Hole
01-13-2008, 10:22 PM

3 dogs here....and I agree. The night before we bought ours, Emily used the old vaccum.....and then we used the Dyson first thing in the morning and filled the container almost twice!!!!!!!

We have the yellow one as well. ;)

Get one of those 20% off coupons for Bed Bath & Beyond....it'll save ya $80+. ;)

Rob
01-13-2008, 10:32 PM
We have the DC17 "purple one". bad ass unit, Dyson all the way!!

aperacer
01-13-2008, 11:59 PM

i agree. we love ours. makes you not want to lay on the floor when you see what it picks up.....

DeckerEnt
01-14-2008, 02:15 AM
As a proffesional Carpet Cleaner, the Dyson is the best on the market right now.It has great air flow, great pile height adjustment, HEPA filtration, all the toys and attachments. All the good things to look for in a great vac. A little pricy right now. Find it under 500.00 and you are in good shape.
Keith

DeckerEnt
01-14-2008, 02:16 AM
i agree. we love ours. makes you not want to lay on the floor when you see what it picks up.....

Just lay on the floor AFTER you vac the house.
Keith

Mr.Moontang
01-14-2008, 08:59 AM

We have the same one its awesome!!!

mustangboy
01-14-2008, 09:30 AM
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/resources/images/gray_dotline_vert.gifhttp://www.consumerreports.org/cro/resources/images/send_nodots.gif (javascript:void(window.open('index.htm?controller =SendToAFriend','NewWindow','width=640,height=470, directories=no,location=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=y es,status=no,toolbar=no,resizable=yes'));) http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/resources/images/gray_dotline_vert.gifhttp://www.consumerreports.org/cro/resources/images/print_nodots.gif (javascript:popUpPrintPage('index.htm?view=Print') ;)http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/resources/images/gray_dotline_vert.gif
Hey Josh here is what Consumer Reports has to say on the matter. I hope it helps.

Buying advice
High-priced, feature-laden machines don't necessarily deliver better cleaning. You'll find plenty of strong performers at a reasonable price

Consumer Reports Video http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/resources/images/interactive_white.gifComplete Video Buyer's Guidehttp://www.consumerreports.org/cro/resources/images/video/Vacuum%20Video%20Final/buy_vac-pic.gifVacuums
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/resources/images/trdshw_vidbut_sm.gif (javascript:popup('mypage','http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/resources/images/video/Vacuum%20Video%20Final/Vacuums525.html',%20545,%20525,%20150,%20150))http ://www.consumerreports.org/cro/resources/images/nav_foot.gif

Which type of vacuum cleaner to buy used to be a no-brainer. Uprights were clearly better for carpets, while canisters were the obvious choice for bare floors. That distinction has blurred somewhat as more upright models clean floors without scattering dust and more canisters do a very good job with carpeting. Central vacuum systems, a third option, add a measure of convenience but at higher prices.

You'll also see a growing number of features such as dirt sensors and bagless dirt bins, but some of those features may contribute more to price than to function, while other, more essential features may be missing from the least-expensive models. And while cordless and even robotic vacuums have joined your list of choices, neither have been top performers so far.

WHAT'S AVAILABLE

Hoover, the oldest and largest vacuum manufacturer, has experienced declining sales of late. Other players include Dirt Devil, which sells uprights and canisters as well as stick brooms and hand vacuums; Bissell, a mostly mass-marketed brand; Eureka, which offers low-priced models, central vacs, and high-end Electrolux-branded models; Dyson, a high-priced British brand with a brightly colored line up; Oreck models, which are sold in their own stores and directly by the company; and Kenmore, the biggest name in canister models, accounting for about 20 percent of U.S. sales.

Additional brands such as Miele, Panasonic, and Riccar, are likely to be sold at specialty stores. Higher-priced Aerus (which also makes central vacs) is sold in its own stores and by direct mail; upscale Kirby is still sold door-to-door. You'll also find Roomba, the robotic vac, and Euro-Pro stick vacs.

Along with the brand of vacuum, your choices include several types:

Uprights. These models, which account for the majority of vacuum sales, tend to be the least expensive. Their one-piece design also makes them easier to store than canister vacs. A top-of-the-line upright might provide a wider cleaning path, be self-propelled, and have a HEPA filter, dirt sensor, and full-bag indicator. Price range for most: $50 to $400, with the highest-priced models priced at more than $1.300.

Canister vacuums. These types tend to do well on bare floors because they allow you to turn off the brush or use a specialized tool to avoid scattering dirt. Most are quieter than uprights, and their long, flexible hose tends to make them better at cleaning on stairs and in hard-to-reach areas. The added clutter of the loose hose and wand makes canisters somewhat harder to store, however. While canister vacs still tend to cost the most, you'll find a growing number of lower-priced models. Price range for most: $150 to $500, with the most-expensive ones costing $1,000 to $1,500.

Central vac systems. These models clean like a canister vac without your having to push, pull, or carry the motor and body around. They're also relatively quiet, and require less-frequent emptying. But they're the most expensive option, and generally require professional installation. The typical 35-foot-long hose can be cumbersome, and you don't have a place to carry tools while you work. Price range: $500 to $1,250 for the unit including tools, plus $300 to $750 to install.

Stick vacs and hand vacs. Whether corded or cordless, these miniature vacuums typically lack the power of a full-sized unit. But they can be handy for small, quick jobs. Price range: $20 to $100.

HOW TO CHOOSE

Some of the best vacuums cost $350 or less. But you might be willing to spend more for models with other strengths. Here's what to think about at the store:

Match the vacuum to your cleaning. Most uprights are still better than canisters for carpets. They also cost less and are easier to store. Canisters tend to be better for cleaning drapes, upholstery, and under furniture, are more stable on stairs.

Consider suction. Look for models that performed well in our airflow tests if you often clean with tools. These vacuums maintained more suction through the hose as they filled with dust, reducing the need to change bags and empty bins.

Pick your features. Models with bags tend to hold more than bagless vacs and create less dust when emptying. A brush on/off switch allows you to turn off the brush on floors and delicate rugs, and reduces dust and the risk of thrown objects when using tools. Manual pile-height adjustment can improve carpet cleaning by letting you raise or lower the powerhead.

Don't be dazzled by gadgets. Most vacuums include a narrow crevice tool, a small brush for upholstery, and a round one for dusting--enough for most users. Hand tools with powered brushes tend to add little over nonpowered tools when removing pet hair from upholstery.

Try before buying. Weight can be critical if your arms aren't strong or your home has more than one level. Self-propelled uprights ease pushing and pulling, though their added heft makes lifting and storing more challenging.

Protect your ears and lungs. Vacuums that scored a poor in our noise tests produced 85 decibels or more, the level at which we recommend ear protection. If you're sensitive to dust, choose a model that scored well in emissions. You also might want to avoid buying a bagless model; if you do purchase a bagless type; wear a dust mask when emptying the bin.

BUHBYY
01-14-2008, 09:32 AM
yeah I am looking into the DYSON very heavily ! on dysons website it says the blue dc-17 is the animal hair one and nothing about the purple one ??? I can get the yelloe one fairly reasonable around 300ish and the purple one around 450ish the blue is over 600 ???? is it just a newer model ???

mustangboy
01-14-2008, 09:36 AM
Here is the link to the ratings page. I am a member so it may not let someone who is not look at it. If that is the case let me know and I'll try to email it to you. I tried to copy and paste here but it was way too long. BTW the best finishing Dyson was 11th.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/laundry-and-cleaning/vacuum-cleaners/reports/upright-ratings/ratings-uprights/ratings-uprights/index.htm

Black92LX
01-14-2008, 09:52 AM
You say you want the best Vacuum.
Well then you need to go out and get yourself a Rainbow
The best prices I have found are here
http://thevacuumcleanerstore.com/rainbowvacuums.html

Though I have found one locally for $550 it has since sold. When I get my house this will be one of my first purchases.
Rainbows are very unique you fill them with water and the water is your filtration device.
Best filtering vacuum one will find.
These Vacuums last far longer than any other vacuum.
The one we had as a kid was well over 25 years old and worked great. Not sure exactly where it went to but you can't go wrong with a Rainbow.

Black Horse
01-14-2008, 10:13 AM
Here is the link to the ratings page. I am a member so it may not let someone who is not look at it. If that is the case let me know and I'll try to email it to you. I tried to copy and paste here but it was way too long. BTW the best finishing Dyson was 11th.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/laundry-and-cleaning/vacuum-cleaners/reports/upright-ratings/ratings-uprights/ratings-uprights/index.htm

Well how about listing the top 12 for us!

mustangboy
01-14-2008, 10:50 AM
Well I guess I'll just type it out.

1.Kenmore (Sears) Progressive w/ Direct drive model# 35922 $300
2.Hoover Wind Tunnel2 model #u8311-900 $250
3. Kenmore(Sears) Progressive w/ Direct drive 36932 $300
4. Hoover Wind Tunnel 2 U8361-900
5. Eureka Boss Smart Vac Ultra 4870 $150
6. Electolux Oxygen3 EL5035A $400
7. Kirby Wntria $1350
8. Riccar superlite RSL3 $350
9. Hoover Tempo Widepath U5140-900 $60
10. Bissel Healthy Home 5770 $250
11. Dyson DC17 Absolute Animal $550

20. Dyson DC15 $500
21. Dyson DC14 $570
22. Dyson DC07 $400
24 Dyson DC18 Slim $470

Hope this helps you guys.

FireStang02
01-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Do not buy the Hoover wind tunnel. It is the biggest piece of crap out there. We got one at the firehouse I work at and after 5 months it was ready for the trash. We use it everyday so it might get more use here than most people would use at home. It still should last longer than it did. It has a filter that is supposed to rotate as you are using it, as the filter rotates it is suppose to be cleaned continuously. It hardly ever worked and the vac got clogged up all the time. The last time it was clogged we went to take the cover off the bottom and when the screws were backed out the cheap plastic threads all broke out of 3 of the 4 holes. Stay away from this hunk of crap. It ws around $300 and no worth 5 bucks.

BUHBYY
01-15-2008, 10:23 AM
Well the deed is done and I have to say I appreciate all the help , another person referred me to Eureka and I had such tunnel vision that is all i could think about was Dyson ??? well long story short the kirkwoods guy referred the same Eureka Boss Smart Vac that CoolNick did and holy crap if it doesn't work well 150 bones and I have not a dog hair one around / hardwood bathrooms carpet it cleaned it all ,I have to say I may not get 25 years out of it but if I get 5 I will be happy btw it is the number 5 vaccum on that list !!!