PDA

View Full Version : svt focus question - batt change

PaulFiveOh
01-23-2008, 12:50 AM
Swapped a Yellow top in to my buddies focus, when I reconnected - +,the horn just stays on. I can pull Fuse 32 to kill it (duh) but the car wont start...starter just whirs.....good technical description I know.

is this a Security thing that I am unaware of or is their a gremlin in the car?

Thanks

blueoval4ever
01-23-2008, 11:54 PM
Swapped a Yellow top in to my buddies focus, when I reconnected - +,the horn just stays on. I can pull Fuse 32 to kill it (duh) but the car wont start...starter just whirs.....good technical description I know.

is this a Security thing that I am unaware of or is their a gremlin in the car?

Thanks

If it's PATS, the security light on the dash will flash repeatedly really fast. If it lost memory of both keys you will have to have it towed to a Ford dealer where they will proceed to bend you over a barrel and charge you somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 bucks to program keys. Hopefully that isn't what your problem is.

ibstrokin
01-24-2008, 12:04 AM
If it's PATS, the security light on the dash will flash repeatedly really fast. If it lost memory of both keys you will have to have it towed to a Ford dealer where they will proceed to bend you over a barrel and charge you somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 bucks to program keys. Hopefully that isn't what your problem is.

Are you kidding me, that's B.S. Good info to know though. I know you can buy those battery modules that take a 9v battery and plug into your cigarette lighter.

Black92LX
01-24-2008, 03:50 AM

one can always find a locksmith with the programmer. far cheaper than the dealer:bigthumb

PaulFiveOh
01-24-2008, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

blueoval4ever
01-24-2008, 11:03 AM
one can always find a locksmith with the programmer. far cheaper than the dealer:bigthumb
Yes, that is true.

blueoval4ever
01-24-2008, 11:13 AM
Are you kidding me, that's B.S. Good info to know though.

I just talked to someone a few days ago about this at a local Ford dealer, my Mother-in-law needs a second key for her Taurus and the dealer wants $25 for a key and $80 to program it. If you have two keys already programed you can program a third yourself but if you have one or none, the dealer has to do it.

The condition paulfiveoh is talking about doesn't really sound like a pats issue to me, but I wouldn't rule it out just yet. Did you check to see if the security light on the dash wash flashing when you tried to start the car? From what I remember, when pats is activated the car won't crank at all.

Black92LX
01-24-2008, 11:17 AM
I just talked to someone a few days ago about this at a local Ford dealer, my Mother-in-law needs a second key for her Taurus and the dealer wants $25 for a key and $80 to program it. If you have two keys already programed you can program a third yourself but if you have one or none, the dealer has to do it.

What year is her Taurus???? 1996 and 1997 Taurus only need one key to program on your own.
If she happens to fall in one of those two years here is the cheapest place to get a blank.
http://www.transponderisland.com/product_details.php?category_id=61&item_id=158

PaulFiveOh
01-24-2008, 11:30 AM
The car, when I try to crank it, sounds like it has a frozen starter.

That doesn't explain the horn constant on condition but I think they are unrelated.

I did not happen to notice either way if the sec light was on or off.

blueoval4ever
01-24-2008, 06:39 PM
What year is her Taurus???? 1996 and 1997 Taurus only need one key to program on your own.
If she happens to fall in one of those two years here is the cheapest place to get a blank.
http://www.transponderisland.com/product_details.php?category_id=61&item_id=158

2006.:( I can get a blank for her car for about the same price through work but the dealer still charges us $50 at work to program them.

Hey, just curious, are you a locksmith?

Black92LX
01-25-2008, 03:25 AM
2006.:( I can get a blank for her car for about the same price through work but the dealer still charges us $50 at work to program them.

Hey, just curious, are you a locksmith?

nope not a locksmith but do have a buddy who is one.
Call around town some locksmith will have the programer and will charge like 10 bucks.