PDA

View Full Version : Tauras heating problem please help diagnose.

RIXXX93GT
01-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Okay I believe I asked this before but never got many responses so here it goes again. I have a 98 Tauras that gives intermittent heat. It takes too long to heat up and then after it does unless your going highway speeds the air coming out is freezing cold. Speed up and then you have fairly warm air. I have changed the thermostat recently and that didnt help. The fan speeds are constant so thats not the issue. Once again...takes too long for the air to get hot and then as you slow down the air turns cold until you speed up again. Help please.

08 Vette
01-23-2008, 03:37 PM
Check to see if a door under the dash is stuck shut.
Heater core may be stopped up.
Check Thermostat, even though it's new it may be stuck open.

If you didn't live so damn far away, I'd say bring it by, I worked at a radiator shop, I'm sure I could find the problem.

ibstrokin
01-23-2008, 08:25 PM
You may want to try disconnecting the heater hoses of the heater core and blowing water through with a water hose, that's helped me out before, and it's free to try.

graysonracin
01-23-2008, 11:09 PM
I would check the heater hoses going to the heater core and see if they are both hot, if not use the garden hose flush idea and see what happens. Just had the same thing happen to my friends stang, u should have seen all the crap that came out of it. Heat works good now though.

Black Horse
01-23-2008, 11:19 PM
Older Taurus and Crown Vics have both had issues with heater cores plugging. Flush, flush, flush and change your coolant!

Timido
01-26-2008, 08:51 PM
3.0 taurus had cooling system problems. If you coolant is rusty brown you probably have a clogged up heater core. The rusty coolant gets so bad that it eats the core plugs and water pump impellers. Ford had a TSB on this and offered a cooling system bypass hose to help with the problem. Like they said before check check the heater hoses to make sure they are both hot. If they are both hot you could have a broken blend door or blend door actuator.

RIXXX93GT
01-27-2008, 10:17 AM
Well one hose is hotter than the other. The water pump is leaking now also. Guess I will flush the system and change out the pump and see if the heater core works good enough to get by for now.