kennebellcobra
01-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Man that would suck! Hopefully that don't happen

mustang8998
01-28-2008, 07:14 PM
You know it's coming though.

dedpedal
01-28-2008, 07:35 PM
Especialy if Al Gore gets his sights set on it. Fuggin tree hugger.

Gene
01-28-2008, 07:58 PM
While I definitely don't agree with the idea of banning leaded fuel for motorsport use, I don't understand where the gloom and doom is.

Okay...so there's no leaded fuel. You can already buy high-octane unleaded fuel, so why can't that be used?

Also, should one of the uses of motorsport be to develop automotive technology? In the 1980s, IMSA made fuel consumption part of the strategy for endurance racing...power was still important, but have the most fuel-efficient car gave you a competitive edge.

Today, diesel technology that is being developed on the racetrack is now being adapted for road car use as well. Audi, for example, is coming out with the diesel version of the R8 sports car, using the same engine that has won the past two 24 Hour of LeMans. 550hp and 700lb/ft of torque.

I see one of the biggest benefits of racing is as a venue to develop new technology. Have restrictions of fuel will make the necessary. Yeah, you might lose some of the traditional race classes, but new classes can always be created to replace them.

Rustanggt98
01-28-2008, 08:12 PM
Yeah, you might lose some of the traditional race classes, but new classes can always be created to replace them.

so no more classes of 300 mufflerless open-comp style bracket cars?:rolleyes:
bummer

peace and quiet at 9a.m. at the track, now that would be nice :bigthumb

Gene
01-28-2008, 08:31 PM
so no more classes of 300 mufflerless open-comp style bracket cars?

Exactly. :D

Personally, I wouldn't be upset AT ALL if cars like that were banned from competition. What's the point in having a mufflerless car that's not for a heads-up class, unless it's to show the world how much of a redneck you are.

Woo hoo, let's eek out and extra three horsepower by taking off the mufflers, so we have a 120db car that pisses off the people that live near the track.