PDA

View Full Version : Vortec supercharger question

hchays
02-03-2008, 06:23 PM
I am looking at a 91 GT that has a Vortec supercharger on it. The guy is telling me that it makes the car use about a quart of oil if you drive it everywhere all week long. He also said that it will puff a little smoke if the engine is warm when you start it, but not if the engine is cold. He said that he has had three engines in the car and they all did the same thing. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

PaulFiveOh
02-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Yea, he is hosing you. Burning oil has nothing to do w/a SC.

I noticed your in Milford, me too, where abouts are ya? I live off Branch Hill Gunie Pike

Blowpastyou
02-03-2008, 07:11 PM
yep he's trying to take you for a ride

hchays
02-03-2008, 07:49 PM
I live in Old milford, by the Kroger. As for the supercharger it is hooked to the oil pan. I thought it may need a rebuild. Thought that it mat be having some blowby, or maybe a bad internal seal?

PaulFiveOh
02-03-2008, 10:43 PM
A quart of oil in a week is a HUGE amount.

The only acceptable reason is some sort of bad "connection", well rather seal, in the supply/return lines to the SC

ibstrokin
02-04-2008, 12:20 AM
You can pull the discharge tube off and see if there has been oil coming from the s/c. At least the guy is being honest about the oil consumption. My car leaked oil, 15lbs. of boost is hard on gaskets though. The hot/cold thing makes me curious though.

PaulFiveOh
02-04-2008, 12:25 AM
At least the guy is being honest about the oil consumption.

Good point.

Do you think the hot cold thing has something to do with the AFR being differnt on a cold start up compared to a hot start up?

347sc
02-04-2008, 02:06 AM
Most forced induction cars will leak oil from gaskets, blower should not leak oil unless it has a shaft seal bad. Vortechs are easy to rebuild though. Ive done two.

hchays
02-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Thanks for everyones input. I just wanted to see if I was missing something. It is a very nice car other than that issue.....

PaulFiveOh
02-05-2008, 09:53 PM
How much is he selling it for? And what other mods does it have?

hchays
02-05-2008, 10:09 PM
It is a 91 GT, the price he is asking is $7500. He is making me a deal on my 94 GT. It has an cam, Roush heads, cobra intake, full lenght headers, custom 3" exhaust, 3:73's, Weld wheels, Gauges and monster tach.

hchays
02-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Paulfiveoh, you said that you live in Milford? Do you work in milford? I think I have seen you before?????? Did/do you work at Lowes?

PaulFiveOh
02-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Yes sir. I used to run the flooring department over there.

I've since moved on. I run around with the Red bottom/ Matte Black top Fox (Need a paint job badly I know)

How did you know that I worked for Lowes?

hchays
02-05-2008, 10:30 PM
I stopped in an bought a carpet rem. from you when I first moved here from San Diego in July. If you remeber you told me about Stangbangerz and took a picture of my tattoo.

PaulFiveOh
02-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Ah fuck yea man!
You have the jeep! And the bad ass tat!

http://paulloveless.org/upload/tat.jpg

Cool deal, we'll have to meet up when the weather gets nice and go for a cruise.
Be leary of the Fox your talking about there, especially since $7500 is a lot of coin. It a safe bet that the SC is worn out...or worse, the motor just needs gone through because of all the extra wear associated with boost.
Is the car local to Milford?

hchays
02-05-2008, 10:43 PM
Yeh, thats my tat. No the car is in Columbus. I did not really want it anyway. The guy just wanted to make me a good deal on my 94 Gt. I want a fox body so I can fit better in it. My legs are to long for the sn95 cars. I am the manager at Sherwin Williams on 28 so stop in some time. I'm there if my Jeep or my Gt is there. It is the stang with the Skinnies and the 4" Cobra "R" hood. Do you still work in Milford?

PaulFiveOh
02-05-2008, 11:29 PM
Do you still work in Milford?

Not any more. I still live there....for now.

I work for a company called ComDoc and I am one of their service techs....nothing glamerous, I fix high end office equipment/ production equipment and small presses. I travel any where from 200 miles to 400 miles a day all around Ohio/Ky.