PDA

View Full Version : Tuning qustions

phatford
02-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Alright so i got a 1990 stang and from idle to 3500rmps it is sluggish and about 4000rps to 6000 it shits and gets.
my buddy has a Innovate Tuning wideband tuner but he was trying to explain to me about it but do i need to get some software for this or do i just plug it in and it will reprogram my ecu? what do i need to do to tune my car?
i am stuck here
thanks!

MFIELD
02-03-2008, 09:07 PM
If its just a wideband meter it wont change any tune on your car it will just tell you whats going on with your car. At least the one I us is like that. What model is it?

phatford
02-04-2008, 09:10 PM
i have no idea. so what do i need to get?

MFIELD
02-04-2008, 09:35 PM
I'm probably not the best to ask about fuel injection but I think you have to have a chip burned with a different tune or maybe the factory computer reflashed. Again I am just guessing on that, maybe call Craig at Cincy Speed. He should be able to hook you up or point you in the right direction. You can also go to Innovative website and see there products to find out what it is. Its probably a LM-1, thats just a wideband meter, depending on what model it is. There site is tuneyourengine.com. Good luck.

By the way what do you have done to the car?

phatford
02-06-2008, 09:40 AM
track heat heads, TFS upper and lowers, cam, intake, full exhaust, msd ignition, it runs ok just too much fuel i think

PaulFiveOh
02-06-2008, 09:55 AM
track heat heads, TFS upper and lowers, cam, intake, full exhaust, msd ignition, it runs ok just too much fuel i think

Sounds like a pretty hot setup that could make some sweet numbers with a real tune.

I would bite the bullet and get it dyno tuned, after you install of your modifications that is.

phatford
02-06-2008, 09:30 PM
they have been on there for 2 years man. i ran 13.0 with this combo at tristats 2 years ago. its wicked just boggs down a lot.
so i need a tune so i can hook up my drag radials here soon.
and i am puttin some 3.73 gears in this weekend so we will see what she does.

so how much does a dyno tune cost and who does em?

PaulFiveOh
02-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Well do your own research to make sure YOU make the best decision...

But there used to be some supporting vendors on here, one called Modular Depot that according to other posters on the board, doesn't do too shabby of a job...

graysonracin
02-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Yeah , modular depot is the way to go if you want a good tune. Ill be havin them tune mine when its finished.

5.0calypso93lx
02-06-2008, 11:06 PM
That wideband is just going to tell you your AFR. Not that that's a bad thing, but thats all it will do. Depending on how involved you want to get into the tuning, you could go with something like an AFM PMS, TwEECer, EPEC, or megasquirt now has basically plug in kits out. The learning curve is pretty steep though. Easiest thing would be to go get a tune from one of the local speed shops.

That combo sounds good for 11 second power, you should easily be in the 12's. What mass air meter is on the car? I think those are the right injectors also.

kaik1969
02-07-2008, 05:16 PM
they have been on there for 2 years man. i ran 13.0 with this combo at tristats 2 years ago. its wicked just boggs down a lot.
so i need a tune so i can hook up my drag radials here soon.
and i am puttin some 3.73 gears in this weekend so we will see what she does.

so how much does a dyno tune cost and who does em?

Call Craig at Cincy Speed. He has a nice dyno.

Jeff88coupe
02-08-2008, 09:17 AM
I don't think you have to have a sct chip tuned for your car to get it to run decent. What is your initial timing and fuel pressure set at, what # injectors are you running, what mas? You should be able to get it to run pretty decent with just an adj. frp and a timing light. Would a dyno chip tune be better..yes.

92BlackStang
02-08-2008, 09:42 AM
Call Craig at Cincy Speed. He has a nice dyno.
x2 513 821 2221 :bigthumb

phatford
02-10-2008, 05:09 PM
i can get a dyno tune in dayton for 150 bucks. my buddy took his TA up there and picked up 56rwhp and runs oh so smooth