PDA

View Full Version : IAMS pet food

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-06-2008, 05:26 PM
A month or so ago my mom's cat died from kidney/liver failure. The vet said it was from bad catfood. Part one of this review is geared towards where you buy pet food. I really don't think it matters as much what brand as much as where...she got pet food from Walmart, who i know for a fact does not rotate their food...it's food just like people food and has an expiration date and some of that sits in the back for months before it hits the shelves. The bad in the back may actually have sat there over a year. Anyways, it was speculated by the vet that it's not a good idea to get pet food from there, so we've been buying it from Pet Smart.

Part 2, and the actual review is on IAMS cat food. I've got 2 cats myself, one is almost 2 years old and the other is almost 1 year. The baby is always playful..he beats up on the older one. Funny thing is the older one used to beat up and play with my mom's cat when he was younger, but for the last year he's turned into a lazy sleep all day and be grouchy cat. All he wants to do is sleep and get petted. Well, since we switched to IAMS, this cat has done a 180. He acts like a kitten again.

In short, if you love your pet, get their food from a place that makes it's business off of pets and not the lowest price they can get from China. There really is a difference.

fst 5pto
02-06-2008, 05:49 PM
I agree. When I worked as a Vet Tech people would tell us how they feed there pets Ol' Roys Best.... Talk about crap.... I feed my dogs nothing but Iams, and the only other food I would feed them would be Science Diet.

2-8-1
02-06-2008, 05:58 PM
But, doesn't IAMs test on animals as well? I know that sounds kinda ridiculous it being animal food and all, but ya know.

08 Vette
02-06-2008, 07:03 PM
But, doesn't IAMs test on animals as well? I know that sounds kinda ridiculous it being animal food and all, but ya know.

Yes, they test to if you animal likes it and the nutritional value and a whole lot of other things. I’ve been to the IAMS plants many times with my new job.
They don't do animal testing if that's what your asking.
My dog and 2 cats have tested alot of their products.

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-06-2008, 07:40 PM
It was a damn shame my mom's cat died. He was so awesome. You've gotta love a 25lb Siamese. He was only 3 years old too. It really pissed me off more than anything but it really tore my mom up.

cstreu1026
02-06-2008, 10:19 PM
My cats won't touch the stuff. We tried but they don't like it. They eat Purina One.

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-06-2008, 10:40 PM
Mine won't eat wet/soft/canned catfood...craziest thing. They'll tear up a can of tuna but they only eat dry food.

I went specifically for Made In America and it says so right on the Iams bag.

5.0calypso93lx
02-06-2008, 11:00 PM
Yes, they test to if you animal likes it and the nutritional value and a whole lot of other things. I’ve been to the IAMS plants many times with my new job.
They don't do animal testing if that's what your asking.
My dog and 2 cats have tested alot of their products.

Beat me to it. If you consider letting dogs and cats try Iams food, well then yes, I guess you can say we test the product on animals.:lol: I think its sad when the media gives one brand a bad name not based on facts, and it really puts a bad image on that product. We went ahead and pulled the food temporarily and lost who knows how much money by doing so, for nothing:screwy:

MrsAPE
02-06-2008, 11:31 PM
Our dog has been on Iams his whole life. Need to put him back on the diet food though.

08 Vette
02-07-2008, 07:11 AM
It was a damn shame my mom's cat died. He was so awesome. You've gotta love a 25lb Siamese. He was only 3 years old too. It really pissed me off more than anything but it really tore my mom up.

25 Lbs! Damn that's a big cat!:eek:

thecollector
02-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Does the product in question have an expiration date printed on the packaging somewhere.

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-07-2008, 05:07 PM
25 Lbs! Damn that's a big cat!:eek:

Yeah, he was a beast.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee275/EVIL85SSP/SatanTaz.jpg
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee275/EVIL85SSP/P3270001.jpg
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee275/EVIL85SSP/P5150027.jpg

He was easily the coolest cat i've ever known...he had a lot of dog qualities about him if that makes sense.

5.0calypso93lx
02-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Hahahahaha, that is awesome. I know exactly what you mean by "dog" qualities, my cat Ricky is the same way. He knows his name, and comes when you call him. I've come home before, and he is actually sitting on the couch propped up on a pillow just like how a person sits.

http://a496.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/14/l_6111accaf776f7cbebc4f7643f9c603f.jpg

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Yeah Taz (mom's cat) always sat on his butt like that. I just taught one of my cats to play fetch...and he really does fetch. His favorite thing is a pop bottle lid and if you throw it he runs and gets it and brings it back and sits it in your lap to throw again. He's probably the smartest cat i've ever had.

2-8-1
02-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Hahahahaha, that is awesome. I know exactly what you mean by "dog" qualities, my cat Ricky is the same way. He knows his name, and comes when you call him. I've come home before, and he is actually sitting on the couch propped up on a pillow just like how a person sits.

You have the same television as I do, Sony 32" CRT Trinitron 1080i.

So, Iams does not do animal testing?