PDA

View Full Version : Super Clean degreaser

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-09-2008, 04:08 PM
I recently changed rims on my Merkur, and 3 out of 4 were in pretty clean shape, but one of them has this black tar like junk on it. I took it through Mike's Car Wash which usually does an amazing job cleaning rims, but it didn't touch this stuff. I tried degreaser, goof off, and several other rim cleaners and nothing even phased it.

Well, another hobby of mine is building model cars. I'm doing one right now and screwed up the paint on the body so i did a search for something that would strip the paint without damaging the plastic. Turns out there's another degreaser called Super Clean (formly Castrol Super Clean) that is supposed to be strong enough to eat enamel paint off but not hurt the plastic and it's even biodegradable to boot. I thought since it's that strong maybe it would eat the crap off this rim....well you won't believe it.

The rims look almost brand new. The only down side is that mine have some clear coat damage from whatever was on them, but the stuff ate all the black tar crap off of them and i didn't even have to scrub it...just spray on and spray off.

Again, it's called Super Clean, comes in either a purple gallon jug or a purple spray bottle, about $6 for the gallon and $4 for the bottle. I'd imagine it'll clean an engine bay well enough to eat off of. I'll post pics of the rims later.

DeckerEnt
02-10-2008, 01:31 AM
That stuff is good. I have carpet cleaner friends who use it as a pre spray when cleaning trashed apartment carpet. I have better stuff, more expensive and proffesional from my supplier, but have been told that if it is oil based, that stuff will dissolve it.
Keith