PDA

View Full Version : Starting issue with Expedition

Drivermod
02-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Our 2000 Expedition started having an intermittant no start problem a couple weeks ago. Now it wont start at all. Everyting lights up on the dash, fuel pump primes but starter doesn't engage. Not even a click from the solenoid. Would this have anything to do with PATS or is it likely just a bad solenoid? Will a vehicle crank if there is a PATS issue? I'm leaning towards the solenoid or a problem with the DTR (park or neutral sensor). Anybody else have this problem.

Thanks,

facemelter71
02-12-2008, 02:04 PM
00 Expo
If it was a pats issue i believe it would still crank but wouldnt start.
Have you checked fuses,I know I know,but you have to start some where.
To me it sounds like a starter,smack it with a hammer.Not a freakin 2 pound ball pean but a light rap on it might get it going.If you can reach it.Also check and see if it will crank in neutral.
Check solenoid.

Drivermod
02-12-2008, 03:24 PM
I have tapped on the solenoid with a hammer to no avail. I will check fuses but due to the intermittant nature it hadn't crossed my mind. I'm guessing it's either the neutral safety switch or key cylinder.

Thanks,

DeckerEnt
02-12-2008, 05:12 PM
My E-250 van 2000 with a 5.4 does the same thing. I have to tap the gear shifter towards the floor then turn the key. If I don't then Nothing. Has to be a sensor somewhere.
Keith

Drivermod
02-13-2008, 08:37 AM
I found a wiring diagram online. There is a switch inline iwht the starter solenoid that senses wether or not the transmission is in park or neutral. If not, it wont start. I played around with the shifter handle and its starting now. Sounds like the same problem you have Keith. At least it's an easy fix for now.:)

DeckerEnt
02-13-2008, 09:11 AM
Cool. When I find out what the real fix it, I will let you know.
Keith

mustangrfast88
02-13-2008, 11:00 AM
might need to check on recalls i dont know if the expedition was included but i know my 97 f-150 had a recall on it where the shifter would say in park and wasnt and the adjusted and zip tyed the cable so it would be in proper gear

RACEME
02-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Ian I have the hanes manual for it if you want to borrow it.

Drivermod
02-13-2008, 03:04 PM
Ian I have the hanes manual for it if you want to borrow it.

That would be cool. If you think of it, bring it to the Pinks party. Thanks

dedpedal
02-13-2008, 07:21 PM
I found a wiring diagram online. There is a switch inline iwht the starter solenoid that senses wether or not the transmission is in park or neutral. If not, it wont start. I played around with the shifter handle and its starting now. Sounds like the same problem you have Keith. At least it's an easy fix for now.:)
Sounds like my boss' work van.

graysonracin
02-13-2008, 10:37 PM
Ford trucks are also good for the battery cable corroding at the starter and breaking, might check that had that happen to my brother in laws f-150 an a few others. The above mentioned shifter issue is likely too.

Drivermod
02-14-2008, 07:41 AM
Ford trucks are also good for the battery cable corroding at the starter and breaking, might check that had that happen to my brother in laws f-150 an a few others. The above mentioned shifter issue is likely too.

Checked the cables and connections. Thanks. It's been starting fine for the last two days. I hate intermittant electrical gremlins:mad: