PDA

View Full Version : ABS sensors

02mingryGT
02-18-2008, 10:38 AM
Okay I am in process of removing my rear to change gears and had some trouble with the ABS sensors not wanting to come out. After searching the internet and talking to Craig it seems the only viable option is to cut them and beat them out. I had thought of unplugging the sensor and taking the thing out with the rear but after further investigation and realizing that I couldn't get the axle shaft in far enough to remove the C-clip because of it hitting the sensor then it didn't really matter at that point. I was still gonna have to cut it and beat it out. So I grabbed a Bud Light and sat on my stool in front the hub and tried to figure out a way to do it. Mainly, I refused to believe Ford wouldn't have a way to do it where it didn't cost them to have to replace two sensors every time they did warranty work. So after about 15 minutes of drinking my beer and spinning the hub around I realized the studs on the shaft lined up exactly with the magnetic prong on the sensor. So I grabbed my hammer and knocked the stud out. I had to cock it at an angle and fit the head of the stud between two of the ABS gear teeth to get it completely off. I then grabbed a punch and put it through the stud hole and tapped out the sensor by placing the punch on the magnetic end of the sensor. HA HA Ford. :flipoff:

So I'm only out one sensor. Hope this helps someone else.

PonymanfiveO
02-19-2008, 12:43 AM
Next time, just get a large dead blow and smack the axle really hard a few times.
Usually it will knock the sensor out enough to get your C-clips out without breaking the sensor.

On install, carefully push on it with a pry bar to get it back to its original location.
No need to take the sensor all the way out.

;)

02mingryGT
02-19-2008, 09:43 AM
Next time, just get a large dead blow and smack the axle really hard a few times.
Usually it will knock the sensor out enough to get your C-clips out without breaking the sensor.

On install, carefully push on it with a pry bar to get it back to its original location.
No need to take the sensor all the way out.

;)

Cool thanks for the info. :bigthumb I had to pull them completely though because I'm jerking the axle(lol....that's funny). I don't have to but I didn't want to do the gear change from under the car.