PDA

View Full Version : What tires??

MFIELD
02-18-2008, 10:47 PM
I need a set of new tires this year and cant decide what to go with. I am running an old set of ET streets and they work fairly well but the car is very loose fealing on the big end. Based on what I have read that is from mixing tires on front and rear. Bias and Radial. Has anyone used the MT ET radial? I have read that a stick car needs a stiff sidewall, that is why I'm leaning towards the radial. Someone please educate me farther. I am running UMTR this year so I want to get something consistant.

89notch
02-18-2008, 11:13 PM
I've heard nothing but bad things about the ET radial on stick cars. I've always heard stick cars should stick with the BFG's

Jeff88coupe
02-19-2008, 09:25 AM
Auto's work good with DR's, Stick cars work easier with a bias wall tire (et street or drag). You can make a stick car work good with a dr..but it takes alot of suspension fine tuning and track testing (look at the NMRA F/S guys).

Timido
02-19-2008, 05:38 PM
I think alot of it also has to do with what size rim you have the tires on and if they are properly ballanced. I had good luck with the ET Radials I ran 275-60's and 325-50's They were fine on my car with the Transbrake on motor. I had a hard time leaving on the spray right off the brake without a smoke show. They were like a sunday drive on the big end. I had Et Street fronts at the time. The radials are harder to get the 60ft figured out if you are really shocking the tire like a stick car or power adder car would. The 28x10.5-S Stiff wall slicks I ran next and they Hooked from the go liked the nitrous off the brake and really supprised me on the big end they were smooth as the Radials were.

MFIELD
02-19-2008, 07:49 PM
Thanks guys, I'll look into those stiff wall tires Tim. Do they make them in the et street or just the drags?

Timido
02-19-2008, 08:45 PM
Drags. I would run them with Bias Ply fronts. I remember that feeling of radial front tires with Et streets on my 88 that was a weird shake down the track.