PDA

View Full Version : 32v mod motor

TONYT
02-20-2008, 10:21 AM
my question is ,whether or not the 32v motor found in the linc is any good for a swap into an 00 gt. its the motor with the cobra style intake on the passenger side.what might be the pro's and cons of this motor

cstreu1026
02-20-2008, 11:40 AM
The engine in the Mk VIII is very similar to the one found in teh 96-98 Cobra. I think you need the Cobra intake to make it work. It might be worth looking for a 99-01 Cobra, Lincoln Aviator, or Mach 1 engine though. Its a better head design for the average street car.

Waffles
02-20-2008, 01:17 PM
I don't know a lot, since I just got into this a few months ago. But I do know the lincoln Mk8 has the Teksid block and is considered by most to be the best 4.6L for buildups. It's rated to 1250hp. I think the crank in the Lincoln is not the same forged crank that's in the Cobra though. So I guess it depends on how far you're building it.

The engine in the Mk VIII is very similar to the one found in the 96-98 Cobra. I think you need the Cobra intake to make it work. It might be worth looking for a 99-01 Cobra, Lincoln Aviator, or Mach 1 engine though. Its a better head design for the average street car.

As I understand it, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, the Aviator and the Mk8 have the same Teksid block which is MUCH stronger than the 99-01 Cobra block. This is all from reading and no personal experience, so take it as that. But the WAP block (99-01 Cobra) difference is it's 80lbs but has some extra ribbing for strength and channels to divert oil away from the crankshaft and is good to about 600hp. The Teksid (96-98 Cobra, 93-98 Mk8, and the Aviator) is good to 1250hp and have heard up to 1500hp. The heads, as was just explained to me in another thread, are better from the 99-01 for some applications, but will work on the Teksid block as well.

lol... Kinda funny, but I'm kinda anxious to see if I fooked any of that up or not.

cstreu1026
02-20-2008, 01:54 PM
You won't break any of the aluminum blocks on a street car. The block used in teh 99-01 Cobra should be the same as the one used in Mach 1's, Aviators, and the 2V 4.6 found in the Explorer and Mountaineer. The crank in the Mark VIII is a cast iron crank...the same as any other automatic equiped mod motor car.

na svt
02-21-2008, 12:58 PM
Most, if not all 99s have teksid blocks along with some 01s. The Mach, Aviator, Maruader and the rest of the 01s Cobras have Windsor Aluminum Plant (WAP) blocks which have been taken to 800rwhp without any issues.

The 99 and up 4v motors are a much better choice for an n/a build. Don;t worry abotu the cast cranks in teh Aviator, Lincoln, Marauder and Aviator motors unless you plan to push serious boost or spin it high RPMs.

The Lincoln cams stink and don't work well with the 96-98 B heads and will also not work well with the 96-98 Cobra intake. Upgrading the intake cams to those from a 96-98 Cobra would be wise.

IWRBB
02-22-2008, 12:18 PM
You won't break any of the aluminum blocks on a street car. The block used in teh 99-01 Cobra should be the same as the one used in Mach 1's, Aviators, and the 2V 4.6 found in the Explorer and Mountaineer. The crank in the Mark VIII is a cast iron crank...the same as any other automatic equiped mod motor car.

No Machs or Aviators got Teksid blocks. The Teksids stopped being used in 01. Mach 1's and Avaitors were years later.

While you may not break an aluminum block, 700 HP at the crank will make an aluminum block deform and shorten the life span of the rotating assemebly. When the bearing journals start moving a few thousandths relative to each other, the bearings aren't happy. Everyone brings up that blah blah ran the Teksid at 1000 HP, but for how long? Did those engines run 10's of thousands of miles without rebuilds?

The very latest Ford 4V aluminum blocks are better than any of the old aluminum stuff, supposedly.