PDA

View Full Version : should the upper intake get hot

t_bag69
02-21-2008, 10:37 PM
i have a 88 gt 5.0 ho did some work on it last year plained the heads and ported and polished the heads upper and lower stock set up it never ran when i bought it now it runs and its fast but i have heating problems she gets real hot! but i think the water pump has hader but the question is about the upper intake gets real hot and there was a lot of carbon in the ports when i ported it is there a problem? also i took the injectors out of a 95? cop car with a 5.4 over head cam there yellow any idea what psi they are?

PaulFiveOh
02-21-2008, 11:03 PM
hmm... I think yellows are either 19's or 24's.

and I think you posted 2 threads, but if the upper is getting real hot...it could be a timing issue.

This may or may not help you..... just good info either way: http://www.stangbangerz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29783&highlight=intake+glowing

Rick93coupe
02-21-2008, 11:06 PM
Yeah the upper intakes get real hot. One trick is to place a bag of ice on it at the track, it takes a lot of the heat out and gives you a little bit of power. They do make what is called a phenolic spacer that doesn't transfer heat from the lower to the upper. You can find them pretty cheap these days, since not many people still run the stock intake.

Rick93coupe
02-21-2008, 11:16 PM
This is a quote from a vendor.

"This spacer raises the upper plenum by a .50" to allow easier removal of valve covers. Phenolic material acts as a heat insulator to minimize heat transfer from engine to the air in the upper plenum."
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o238/Rick88coupe/phenolic.jpg

t_bag69
02-21-2008, 11:26 PM
fuck thats perfect so the carbon would probally be from the guy before hand had the timing fucked? and thanks for the info i just seen this site on pinks and glad i typed it in! so thanks and yea i did post this twice, just thought that fishing with two hooks is better thain one.haha

Rick93coupe
02-21-2008, 11:38 PM
The carbon is just from miles and miles. Everyone who had many miles on their motor before they tore into it had that. Timing has nothing to do with that problem. Check ebay if you want a spacer like that. Thats where the picture came from.
No need to fish with 2 hooks here!

99Slobra
02-22-2008, 01:32 AM
The smaller of the 2 spacers will fit barely under the stock hood. It will rub on your blanket if you have one.

Also hot to your skin is any temp over 109 degree's. Underhood temps can hit 180 plus so it'll always be hot. Take a infrared gun and go over a car that's been sitting for a few minutes and you'll be amazed.

My spacer made about a 35 degree difference on my 5.0 in FL summer.

t_bag69
02-22-2008, 02:46 AM
i see that the two hooks is not nessisary you are good people thanks for the input and i would appreciate any thing you can tell me about cheap horses for my fully stock ported 5.0, once again thanks