PDA

View Full Version : going carb

orange93stang
02-28-2008, 07:50 PM
I was going to change over to a carb set-up on my 93 coupe. Has anyone done one and how hard is it? Is there any real difference in H.P. I am runnig a BBK SSI intake with TF Twisted wedge heads, I had it dyno tuned and just have a problem keeping it running good. It lobes at idle. Any help will be appreciated

mustangrfast88
02-28-2008, 10:58 PM
personally dont do it man find out why it aint running right i have a carb car and it sucks when it is cold out and all the fuel milage hurts driveabilty is alittle different to but im running victor jr heads x cam and victor jr intake but get the fuel injection running right and resale valve of a fi car that was a true fi car to began with is better then a carb car

Buckeye
02-29-2008, 09:46 AM
You will make more power as long as your tuner knows what he is doing. (at least on a street car )

rsmurf04
03-04-2008, 03:14 AM
Hey BUCKEYE witch one are you talking about carb or fuel injected? Its not hard to switch over if you have any mechanical ability. Basicly just taking out bolts and wires. Once you get your upper intake off if you disconnect the fuel lines on the firewall if you can, then you can just take the lower intake and fuel injection all as one piece. You can try this and just look around and see if you can find what you need

http://alldatapro.com/alldata/PRO~V79647804~C8000~R0~OD~N/0/41746052/56350068/56350973/56350974

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-13-2008, 12:45 PM
If the reason for the switch is because your EFI setup isn't running right, you're going to have even more problems if you don't know how to tune a carb. EFI will always be more efficient and more responsive than a carb, but a properly tuned carb can give EFI a good run for the money...MONEY being the key word there since you can make the same (sometimes more peak) power with a carb than EFI for less cash. Another thing i argue that people don't consider is weight...a carb setup is going to clock in at a good 50lbs less give or take, when you consider the lighter intake, less wiring harness/sensors etc. Typically what you see is higher peak HP with a carb and a broader torque curve with EFI.

may93
03-13-2008, 11:12 PM
I think its a good idea to find out why its not running right before you go changing things. You'll need a carb, intake, distributor, throttle cable, fuel regulator to set your fuel pressure for the new fuel pump you'll need, and a good air cleaner among other things. It would be cheaper to pay someone a few bucks to help you tune the car. I think you need to reset your idle and with the mods you have try around 800rpm's as any lower and it will lobe real bad. I've ran supercharged cars with a cam and heads and it still ran fine. You might even want to check your fuel pressure at idle with the vacuum unplugged. 38-42 would be about right.