PDA

View Full Version : stupid question about stroke on 302

rsmurf04
03-02-2008, 12:03 PM
If I buy a rebuild kit and I get a bigger stroke but standard size pistons that will make it around 306? And when I go like .30 or .40 bore it will make it like 331 and 347? I don't want to get it bored I just want a different stroke I think. I just want to take the motor out and take it to Andy Law at Outlaw Motors ports with the rebuild kit and have him rebuild it and then put it back in my stang. Quick easy and painless. hopefully right? But we all know how that go's

ibstrokin
03-02-2008, 01:41 PM
A .030 bore would be 306, If you go stroker then it would be 331/347. If your going to rebuild your engine, you definitely want to bore it. The reason you bore a cylinder is to get back to having a perfectly round hole, so that you have good ring seal. Poor ring seal, poor power production, regardless of cubic inch.

If you buy a stroker kit, it will come with new crank, rods, pistons. The crank will have more stroke, the rods will be longer, and the pin height in the piston will be different.

rsmurf04
03-02-2008, 04:00 PM
yeah that makes sense how much does it cost and where is a good place to get it bored?

Jeff88coupe
03-02-2008, 04:01 PM
I'd look at 331 or 347 cast crank kits....they are cheaper than a forged kit and will hold up to more HP than a stock HO block will handle.

ibstrokin
03-02-2008, 06:25 PM
yeah that makes sense how much does it cost and where is a good place to get it bored?

You realize that when you bore an engine, you have to replace the pistons with larger pistons. Stock bore is 4.00", if you bore the cyl .030", you must buy 4.030" pistons. Most stroker kits will come w/ 4.030" pistons, you just need to verify when ordering.

Are you Wanting a shop to do all the work, pull/rebuild the engine, re-install.

Metcalf Racing
03-02-2008, 10:14 PM
If I buy a rebuild kit and I get a bigger stroke but standard size pistons that will make it around 306? And when I go like .30 or .40 bore it will make it like 331 and 347? I don't want to get it bored I just want a different stroke I think. I just want to take the motor out and take it to Andy Law at Outlaw Motors ports with the rebuild kit and have him rebuild it and then put it back in my stang. Quick easy and painless. hopefully right? But we all know how that go's
Shouldn't this Andy Law be able to do this for you?? I'm just saying because your wanting to have him assemble it

Rick93coupe
03-02-2008, 10:38 PM
There's a .030 over block for sale in the classifieds. That could save you a little money if you decide to buy a stroker kit. Your car wouldn't have to be down in the process.

rsmurf04
03-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Andy Law if you don't know who he is, doesn't have a machine shop! And no, I will pull the engine and take it where ever myself. I just want it to be perfect and Andy Law is the shit and does shit right. I could do it myself but I would feel better if some one did it plus if something is fucked up I can just take it back to him. That way I don't have to tear the engine back apart to fix something I fucked up, he can. Plus I've never rebuilt the bottom end of an engine I don't think this is the best time to be trying new things ya know?

facemelter71
03-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Call up D.S.S.
They are over in Chicago,and there engines are the shit.Good prices,and usually have deals goin on.Like by this kit and get a free upgrade to ProX forged pistons.THey will build the engine you want,box it up,and ship it to you ready to install.Same thing with CHP.Both very good companies.

NXcoupe
03-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Hucks is over on the east side, they can do the machine work and Andy can assemble it for you.

Metcalf Racing
03-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Andy Law if you don't know who he is, doesn't have a machine shop! And no, I will pull the engine and take it where ever myself. I just want it to be perfect and Andy Law is the shit and does shit right. I could do it myself but I would feel better if some one did it plus if something is fucked up I can just take it back to him. That way I don't have to tear the engine back apart to fix something I fucked up, he can. Plus I've never rebuilt the bottom end of an engine I don't think this is the best time to be trying new things ya know?I hear ya.. I could have fixed mine myself also but I took mine to Brain at BES.. You herd of them?

rsmurf04
03-04-2008, 03:00 AM
No where are they located? I just moved to Delhi and the guy I know is in Batavia