PDA

View Full Version : Farking FURIOUS!! Getting DOUBLE Taxed on School Taxes!!

Katmandu
03-03-2008, 07:26 PM
Just came back from my accountant who says we owe $891.00 in Troy School District taxes! :mad: :mad: :mad: Man! I'M FUKKING PISSED OFF !!!!!!!!!!!

There was a vote taking last year to "supposedly" change the way Troy School taxes were to be collected. Apparently, the old method was based on the value of one's property. (BTW, I am a home owner in Troy).

The vote was to CHANGE from a Property based tax to an INCOME based tax. The original levy was set to expire and get replaced with a new one.

Since my property value is about equal to my income, I voted NO to keep it the same. Well, there was alot of confusion/misinformation and a very serious lack of public education and the Vote ended up passing.

Now! Thru some MAJOR FUKK job the home owner's here in Troy (who work) now get taxed on BOTH METHODS !!!!! Yea, you read that correctly! BOTH Methods.

So, instead of a 1% tax on your property only, we are NOW being taxed on and additional 1% of our income!!

I could deal with an extra $10-20/month in extra taxes, but fukking $85-90/month ????

Oh yea! There were NO letters sent out (or any other information campaign) to let folks know to notify their employers to hold back an extra 1% of their pay.

I'm want someone's fukking head on a stick!!!!

Anyone have an "extra" grand laying around ??? :rolleyes:

Thank for letting me vent, but I do NOT feel any better. :mad:

ibstrokin
03-03-2008, 07:44 PM
I would suggest you change the title of your thread

dedpedal
03-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Sounds like a bum deal by the govt yet again. I dont believe that people whop dont have kids should have to pay school taxes in that amount anyways.

Katmandu
03-03-2008, 07:49 PM
I would suggest you change the title of your threadYour right. :rolleyes: Man! I'm HOT about this! Meant no offense to anyone. :angel:

Mod already changed it for me. Thanks. :cool2:

Katmandu
03-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Sounds like a bum deal by the govt yet again. I dont believe that people whop dont have kids should have to pay school taxes in that amount anyways.That's another thing Kev. We don't have any little rug rats. :rolleyes:

ibstrokin
03-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Thanks, wasn't trying to be a dick. I don't blame you for being pissed either. I think I would make some noise also.

Katmandu
03-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Thanks, wasn't trying to be a dick. I don't blame you for being pissed either. I think I would make some noise also.That's cool. I didn't take it that way from you either. :cool2: I know your cool. :)

I very, very rarely ever let loose like that. Even after a bad Steeler's game! :)

Sitting here now pondering downsizing my fleet. Either my selling off my truck or Stang (God forbid)! Maybe do some trading or something....

Dunno...... Got a lot of thinking/figuring out to do here. :rolleyes:

DeckerEnt
03-03-2008, 08:17 PM
Call in to howard Aine or who ever that don't waste your money news guy is. He will look into it and maybe do something about it.
Keith

cstreu1026
03-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Just be glad you don't live in one of the high rent districts like Centerville, Springboro, Beavercreek. My wife and I were thinking of moving a while back but when I started to look at the property taxes on the houses we were looking at I freaked out. The damn taxes every month would have been almost half as the mortgage payment. For now I will just stay in Xenia, pay off this house and wait until we have kids to worry about getting into a god school district.

BTW, I pay taxes both ways and so do a lot of other people around here. You aren't alone.

Something else to consider. If everyone didn't support the schools, the schools would suffer and your property values would plummet. If a district had to rely on say 2000 students to fund a school there would be no teachers, no public schools, and you would be force to pay private school tuition.

There are only two things that are certain in life...death and taxes.

PaulFiveOh
03-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Call in to howard Aine or who ever that don't waste your money news guy is. He will look into it and maybe do something about it.
Keith

Good idea. Do it Katmandu!

Katmandu
03-03-2008, 08:33 PM
KeithYou mean Clark Howard ?? :confused:

Katmandu
03-03-2008, 08:34 PM
BTW, I pay taxes both ways and so do a lot of other people around here. You aren't alone.I hear ya brother.

I still don't feel any better bout it all. :mad:

94cobra2615
03-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Sounds kinda like around here with the sewage.

My town just had city sewer system installed. It's mandatory to hook up even though I have a perfectly fine septic system already

$2200 tap fee
Plus I have to pay out of pocket to install from my house to the tap
Now getting charged $60 per month sewage fees. That is the minimum charge. Anything above 2500 gallon water usage per month is extra.

And to think I wasnt paying anything before.

This town will get the $60 per month from me and that's all. F em

Katmandu
03-04-2008, 02:29 AM
My town just had city sewer system installed. It's mandatory to hook up even though I have a perfectly fine septic system already
$2200 tap fee
Plus I have to pay out of pocket to install from my house to the tap
Now getting charged $60 per month sewage fees. That is the minimum charge. Anything above 2500 gallon water usage per month is extra.This crap makes someone want to go build a log house out in the woods and live. :rolleyes:

cstreu1026
03-04-2008, 08:47 AM
This crap makes someone want to go build a log house out in the woods and live. :rolleyes:

But you would still have to pay property taxes. :tongue2:

Dealing with the government sucks but we don't have a choice. With out government you would have no schools, no police, no fire departments, no roads, no military to defend the nation. All you can do is work to minimaze its impact on your way of life.

02mingryGT
03-04-2008, 08:55 AM
Something else to consider. If everyone didn't support the schools, the schools would suffer and your property values would plummet.

Bingo.

Black Horse
03-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Talawanda School District did the same thing....and then had the nerve to go back to the well for even more last November with a levy increase. It was soundly voted down. They sent out a survey to try to understand why it failed.

If they actually had a Budget they would adhere to, had a documented plan to cut or save costs, had a real solid reason to raise the funds - I would support them. But it seems like with the funds they aquired through the Income Tax they have just found more expensive things to waste the money on. Maybe it time for "pay to play" sports. Lets quit funding kids to become the next overpaid snob sports jerk and give them a real education.

And while I am on a roll....lets start 100% drug testing of all the kids before they can play ANY sport.

Maybe I should run for the Board of Education ;)

02mingryGT
03-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Talawanda School District did the same thing.... Maybe it time for "pay to play" sports. Lets quit funding kids to become the next overpaid snob sports jerk and give them a real education.

And while I am on a roll....lets start 100% drug testing of all the kids before they can play ANY sport.

I seriously doubt any kid from Talawanda is going to be an over paid sports jerk. Wrong district....wrong color for the most part. Most schools already drug test their athletes. I think the problem is more spending beyond their means rather than sports. I think their should be "pay to play" Chess club and AV. Or charge time to play D&D in the library.

One way to solve the problem: less crying more voting.

Ranger50
03-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Something else to consider. If everyone didn't support the schools, the schools would suffer and your property values would plummet. If a district had to rely on say 2000 students to fund a school there would be no teachers, no public schools, and you would be force to pay private school tuition.

Based on what I, myself, coming out of the PUBLIC school system, is that really such a BAD thing?

There are things that public schools can do without, such as ANY extra curricular activities, busing, etc... I have no problems with a pay to play system to make it all work out. I lived for a year without public transportation, I made it to school on time and got home without fanfare. I even participated in sports on pay to play. That made me a better citizen to society, imo, because it WASN'T free and given out like a handout. Polar opposites to nowadays....

JMO.
Brian

cstreu1026
03-04-2008, 12:41 PM
Well what schools can do with out is a whole other subject. I think too many people for get that school is about education not sports, but I am going to stay off that soap box for now.

Gearhead
03-04-2008, 09:51 PM
We had the same "School District Income Tax" when I lived in Clermont County (Goshen Twp). Had to come up with about an extra grand every year at tax time...

Katmandu
03-04-2008, 10:53 PM
Talawanda School District did the same thing....and then had the nerve to go back to the well for even more last November with a levy increase. It was soundly voted down. They sent out a survey to try to understand why it failed.Good points Dave. :cool2:

I still am having a hard time digesting the fact that this actually happened and a bunch of dumbassed Troy citizens actually voted FOR this thing.

For my own piece of mind, I'm going to go back and research how the WORDING was put out to the public. There HAD to be some misinformation that caused people to become confused and voted the wrong way. HAD TO BE. :rolleyes:

I am feeling a bit less angry about all this. :rolleyes: I am much more aware and motivated Politically. I hope that turns out to be a good thing. :HYF: :lol:

Now I have to go to the VA's HR department and submit to have another 1% of my docked. Errr...I mean TAXED! :mad:

02mingryGT
03-05-2008, 08:27 AM
Dude people are just stupid. They'll vote for anything or anybody without checking the wording themselves. For most of the bigger districts, and I would include Talawanda and Troy in that description, the athletics MAKE money not the other way around. It's all the other stupid crap like Glee Club that lose it. And since we're talking pay to play does that include shop? You get my point I hope.

mach_u
03-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Looks like Cincinnati School levy just passed too! Like we weren't paying enough in taxes already! :rolleyes:

Jaylynn
03-05-2008, 11:00 AM
yea and half the kids in Cincinnati don't even bother to show up.........

I like supporting the schools & don't mind (within reason) paying taxes for quality education, quality facilities, quality extra-curriculars (not just sports)... but it can really go to extremes with what the schools think they 'need'..... We definately paid a price having a house in Mt Healthy school district when it came time to sell.

Katmandu
03-05-2008, 12:48 PM
And since we're talking pay to play does that include shop? You get my point I hope.That would be :cool2: :bigthumb

Katmandu
03-05-2008, 01:00 PM
I like supporting the schools & don't mind (within reason) paying taxes for quality education, quality facilities, quality extra-curriculars (not just sports)... but it can really go to extremes with what the schools think they 'need'..... We definately paid a price having a house in Mt Healthy school district when it came time to sell.I hear ya.

I gotta say. Us middle class folks are REALLY taking up the butt HARD these days. I make a nice income, have all my needs met, have a decent quality of life (all for which I am very grateful). I see how hard it is now to make ends meet and really feel BAD for folks that are less fortunate in this country.

The divide between the rich and poor is expanding rapidly! My wife and I were truly SHOCKED when I got stationed in Montgomery, AL back in 2000 and saw for ourselves the divide between the economic classes. The well off folks all send their children to ACADEMYs and completely ignore the Public school system!

When they send their kids to the Academy, they get vouchers so they do NOT have to pay taxes to the public schools down there. When we saw the 1st public school down there we were appalled at the condition it was in. It looked like it had not been maintained since the 50s. :rolleyes:

My wife was a Social worker back then and really got a first hand education into the trials and tribulations of the folks that live in POVERTY (very much like up here in Piqua, Ohio). :rolleyes:

That extreme divide will be here in this region before we know it. :rolleyes:

may93
03-06-2008, 01:02 AM
A lot of these levies pass because of the wording. To vote no because of the wording sometimes means "no" Im not against the levy passing. The new one thats popular now is passing a levy that those that are retired arent effected by and dont have to pay but yet they can still vote on. They vote yes for the income tax levy so that we pay it and they dont. And their property taxes dont change.

Mista Bone
03-06-2008, 01:09 AM
Alot of the levies also pass because guess what the people renting pay?

NOTHING!

quik lx
03-06-2008, 08:56 AM
We had the same "School District Income Tax" when I lived in Clermont County (Goshen Twp). Had to come up with about an extra grand every year at tax time...

Yep, It's still there... We give them 3% of our property taxes and 1% of our income every year. Bitch is we built the house three years before we found out about the income tax part...so we had to pay a healthy chunk of a refund once.:mad:

02mingryGT
03-06-2008, 09:17 AM
A lot of these levies pass because of the wording. To vote no because of the wording sometimes means "no" Im not against the levy passing. The new one thats popular now is passing a levy that those that are retired arent effected by and dont have to pay but yet they can still vote on. They vote yes for the income tax levy so that we pay it and they dont. And their property taxes dont change.

In that case it needs to be challenged in a court of law. I would think someone would take it up if asked. I think there's anti tax groups like the ACLU that do that type of legal work.
The really funny thing is the current way of collecting school taxes was overturned by the Ohio Supreme Court but here we are still doing it. :rolleyes:

The renters don't pay Mista but the Landlords do. So that's a incorrect argument.

may93
03-06-2008, 10:17 AM
True the owners pay the taxes on a house but the renters can still vote for a tax that they dont pay. Until you raise their rent!

Mista Bone
03-06-2008, 04:29 PM
and the rent can't be raised until lease is up.