PDA

View Full Version : Is speed density tuneable? Factory ECM

Rick93coupe
03-08-2008, 11:34 PM
Just having some thoughts and figured I'd ask in here.

NXcoupe
03-09-2008, 11:54 AM
SCT told me that they didn't support it. I believe there is a software out there that does support it, as that's what most of the FS guys were using back in the day. I wonder if Tweecer supports it?

Rick93coupe
03-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Thanks Mike, I'm looking into. I asked the question on a few boards several yrs ago and everyone acted like I was nuts. It seems to me that if you could build a V/E table around the combination you wanted to use that you could make it happen.

NXcoupe
03-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Yep, you can. It's not that crazy of an idea. The only drawback is the slow processing speed of that computer compared to the alternatives. Every MAF computer has a speed density table it falls back on when the MAF quits working.

bangingears
03-09-2008, 07:47 PM
moates, eec tuner, tuner pro all have bins for speed density ecus. only thing $hitty about fords map sensor is it is a frequency output rather then voltage like most. It would be super cool to get a voltage to frequency converter and run a 2 or 3 bar map. Or if you could figure a way to scale the map down to 50% you could run 14 psi of boost and 36-38 lb. squiters with stock map. I didn't have time to do a ford "afc hack" so went with MAF sensor and moates chip and called it quits.

PaulFiveOh
03-09-2008, 07:53 PM
I think that Speedbrain also works on Speed Density by default.

Rick93coupe
03-09-2008, 08:07 PM
moates, eec tuner, tuner pro all have bins for speed density ecus. only thing $hitty about fords map sensor is it is a frequency output rather then voltage like most. It would be super cool to get a voltage to frequency converter and run a 2 or 3 bar map. Or if you could figure a way to scale the map down to 50% you could run 14 psi of boost and 36-38 lb. squiters with stock map. I didn't have time to do a ford "afc hack" so went with MAF sensor and moates chip and called it quits.

Ahh, you answered more questions than you know. I didn't know that about the map sensor. I'm thinking about a boosted 351 efi conversion instead of carb in my boat.

Rick93coupe
03-09-2008, 08:08 PM
I think that Speedbrain also works on Speed Density by default.

Speed brain, when that thing came out I wanted one bad... Never hear about them anymore.

bangingears
03-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Ahh, you answered more questions than you know. I didn't know that about the map sensor. I'm thinking about a boosted 351 efi conversion instead of carb in my boat.

on a ford there is no way to do a "cheap" but effective MAP EFI unless you mega squirt it or run one of the many aftermarket EFI stand alones. If it was N/A you could do what you need with in the factory S/D ecu. Cheapest route is a decent abadco or Pro-m meter and a chip. If you like to tune yourself check out craigs website, moates.net ,a DIY tuning website or do some reading on PGMFI. If tuning isn't your cup of tea have MD, precision, Cincy speed or any other local tune it. I have hundreds of hours tuning cold start, and part throttle and WOT that I couldn't afford to pay a tuner to do that. Plus I like playing around to see what my junk likes. My car is mainly a street car and a need it to have manners so my G/F or mom could drive it.

Rick93coupe
03-09-2008, 08:58 PM
I could do a mass air ecm, but that drives the cost up considerably once you factor in the chip, meter, and tuning. Not to mention the cost of injectors. I like the idea of EFI on the boat though. I'd have to have Mike or Jeff go out on the lake with me for some loaded pulls! =)

PaulFiveOh
03-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Rick -

I have one that I mess around with, and, if you know what you are doing, it is a very powerful tool. It is always for sale for the right price since I don't use it.

How ever: Speaking to KenB and other experienced tuners, they told me that an SCT piggy back is much "better". I think that is so because of the ease of tuning etc. Just so you know, I have a speedbrain but am having Dayton Performance tune my SCT for my turbo setup.

What is super cool about speedbrain is the virtual dashboard and on the fly tuning, you can set timing tables and fuel tables on the fly, its awesome! They are very old though, 10 years or older!

Holler at me if you want to play around with it and/or maybe buy it or trade for it. You simply unplug your A9L (or equiv) and plug this guy in. Super easy.

Rick93coupe
03-09-2008, 10:02 PM
Thanks Paul, I'll let you know what I decide to do. I'm always thinking about what I'm going to do next, and alternative means to do it. I have everything to do a carb setup at this point, but who knows what'll happen.

Timido
03-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Mike Westly burned my SD chip way back for my Factory Stock car. It can be done but I would do a meter and a chip way easyer with the Blower.

NXcoupe
03-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Couldn't remember his name, but I was thinking about your combo when I posted about the factory stock guys. I remember he was one of the first guys to open up an EEC and start playing with the software/tune.
Rick: I am more than willing to suffer through riding in your boat to get it tuned. I am thinking 40 to 50 WOT pulls to get it right. ;)

Rick93coupe
03-10-2008, 05:50 PM
That aught to cover it, and you can ask Brian, I have no problem keeping my foot on the pedal!

YouGotJunk
03-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Speed Density is the shit!!

ibstrokin
03-10-2008, 06:45 PM
That aught to cover it, and you can ask Brian, I have no problem keeping my foot on the pedal!

Keeping your foot in the gas isn't the problem, it's going wot toward the shore until you can see pebbles through the water, then cutting the wheel that makes me shit a brick.

NXcoupe
03-10-2008, 09:32 PM
I think you've got something there.

Rick93coupe
03-10-2008, 09:52 PM
Its part of the jetboat experience! :bigthumb:

NXcoupe
03-11-2008, 09:44 PM
Right on!