PDA

View Full Version : Thornhill Raceway in KY

50dan
03-14-2008, 09:58 PM
A freind of mine is buying the race track. Anyone go there?? I hear it's a popular place for the locals.

Any advice for changes?

Maximus
03-14-2008, 11:50 PM
ANY night Test & Tunes!!!:bigthumb

craigels
03-14-2008, 11:53 PM
Any advice for changes?

Resurface the track, update timing devices, put timing devices in the correct spots (60' should be 60', not 58'), better parking, less hillbillys/chevy monkeys, less coke and meth dealers, and add some TnT nights!

It literally 10 minutes from my house and I will not go there for the above things...

Craig

Carl
03-14-2008, 11:58 PM
Is it 1/8th or 1/4? I can't remember....

Maximus
03-15-2008, 12:12 AM
Resurface the track, update timing devices, put timing devices in the correct spots (60' should be 60', not 58'), better parking, less hillbillys/chevy monkeys, less coke and meth dealers, and add some TnT nights!

It literally 10 minutes from my house and I will not go there for the above things...

Craig

Well that too!!:bigthumb

Waffles
03-15-2008, 12:34 AM
It was originally a landing strip, then converted to a drag strip. My uncle, Ralph Payne, was the original owner and I practically grew up there. I haven't been there since he died and it left the family. Lots of great memories though. We used to go down on weeknights and run for money. Every complaint I've heard since it left the family is that it went to 1/8th mile. Used to be, there was nothing but gravel at the end of the 1/2 mile and the Licking River after that.

Back in 1988 or so, Car Craft magazine did a write up about it.

98stangv6
03-15-2008, 01:04 AM
Better bleachers, time clocks at the end of the track, TnT, and my dad says "The old Thornhill Burgers"!

Waffles
03-15-2008, 01:15 AM
and my dad says "The old Thornhill Burgers"!

They were called "Ralphy Burgers" lol

donkey
03-15-2008, 01:37 AM
im kinda new on here but ive lived in kentucky for my my whole life and if the track was paved and opened back up to a 1/4 mile ide say you would get alot more people down their. to some people around down here it would be nice to have a good track other than the drive to e20 or tristate on a friday night or sat.

good luck with making it better take care of the blacktop and the 1/4 mile ill be sure to help get bussiness down their

MADMOD
03-15-2008, 09:20 AM

Craig

I am with Craig on this one:bigthumb

PonymanfiveO
03-15-2008, 09:24 AM

Craig

I agree. I live over the hill in Alexandria, and I havent been there in a few years for the same reasons.

I think that track has plenty of great potential it just needs to be taken care of.
Id love to see it cleaned up so we can start racing there!

Good luck to your friend! :)

08 Vette
03-15-2008, 09:30 AM
I ran there back in the 70's. The thing that needs to change is the run off area.
I hit the gravel at the end of my run and almost went into the river.
It was fun to run there, they used a clock not a tree.

50dan
03-15-2008, 10:08 AM
I'll pass this on!! I have not been down there in a while myself. Maybe this can be a good place to go in the near future. I know there will be plenty of camping and fishing because he owns the 100AC farm surrounding the track. Maybe some good things can happen now.
I'm all for the ANY TIME tune and test myself!!!
Not sure on track length but I know the river is a problem.

BMF_RACING
03-15-2008, 10:33 AM
I'll pass this on!! I have not been down there in a while myself. Maybe this can be a good place to go in the near future. I know there will be plenty of camping and fishing because he owns the 100AC farm surrounding the track. Maybe some good things can happen now.
Not sure on track length but I know the river is a problem.

The track was 1/4 mile since the 1950's till about 9 years ago when they decided to go to 1/8th mile racing instead of fixing shutdown area (safer too because of lower speeds). All above mentioned problems can be fixed with the right person running it and about $500,000 to invest (above purch. price).

The biggest problem with Thorn-Hill drag is a clause that Ralph Payne (original owner) aggreed to back in the 1950's when the track opened. Per this clause the track could only operate one day a week (Saturday) from 6pm to 12am. The police are there every night to shut the track down at Mid-night. Now there is no one that would want to invest that kind of money in a buisness that is only allowed to run a buisness 6 hours a week. Thats the shitty thing about Thorn-hill dragway.:(

BMF_RACING
03-15-2008, 10:37 AM
I ran there back in the 70's. The thing that needs to change is the run off area.

I remember the old clocks, very different. Those at Thorn-hill were 1 set of two known to be left across the US, when they took them down. :bigthumb

mustangboy
03-15-2008, 10:54 AM
I'm also local in N. KY and I have friends that run every Sat. However one buddy of mine who has a hardtail altered had to quit because of the bump at the end of the 1/8th mile would literally lift both rear tires of the ground. Over all the little stuff mentioned repaving the track would bring back alot of people who have quit racing. Every year the cars get faster and faster providing a smooth racing surface should be the first thing done when upgrades are made. Also you may want to relay the message that he will have to rewire the timing system. Everytime moisture set in and that is often down there, the timing light quit working. If you look at the wiring of the system he will completely understand why. I wish him luck in keeping the tradition alive.

Waffles
03-15-2008, 11:04 AM

Those reaction time clocks were very rare, they "disappeared" 3 days after Ralph died. I've heard that complaint about the run off area more times than I could count. My dad remembers the track before it was paved at all, then it was only the 1/4 mile. Can you imagine running straight into dirt and a corn field?

Waffles
03-15-2008, 11:09 AM

This will never happen. Ever since I was a kid there was always a problem with the neighbors complaining about the noise from the track and trying to shut it down. It's grandfathered in for Sat nights, so they always manage to keep the track open but other than Sat there are fines for running for the noise.

BMF_RACING
03-15-2008, 11:34 AM
This will never happen. Ever since I was a kid there was always a problem with the neighbors complaining about the noise from the track and trying to shut it down. It's grandfathered in for Sat nights, so they always manage to keep the track open but other than Sat there are fines for running for the noise.

One more thing in that Grandfather clause was that the track must open at least one day every race season year. If a year passes with out at least on race being held, the track will be closed forever. :eek:

VuNiT3
03-15-2008, 12:27 PM
Man, I used to have some good times at Thorn Hill. We would go down there, watch our friends run their Corollas and mini vans:lol: and sit on our tailgates and drink some beer. I miss that place.

Crucial
03-15-2008, 01:02 PM
The track was 1/4 mile since the 1950's till about 9 years ago when they decided to go to 1/8th mile racing instead of fixing shutdown area

i dont know about this last year but couple years ago they was running 1/4 and then 1/8 for delay box cars .... heard last season they were only running 1/8 for insurance reasons or some BS ....

i used to damn near live at that track, there every weekend for about 6-8 years straight .. and yes they need clocks up for sure, kinda hard to her the half drunk guy on a speaker lol

if they were able to come up with a fri night T&T that place would rake in the money . even if it was a muffler only kinda thing ...

but i am just happy to hear it going to stay a drag strip, was ALOT of rumors floating around about people wanting it just to store their airplanes or some crap ..

Jeff88coupe
03-15-2008, 01:23 PM
I caught the drag racing bug by going down to Thornhill in the late 80's with my dad to watch a co-worker of his run a low 11 second S-10 drag truck. They still used the old dial clock timing system then.

Biggest thing after repaving/smoothing the track that needs to be done is get some lawyers involved to do something about the noise restriction. How can they expect a business to survive if it's only allowed to be open 6hr's a week. Even if it's only a few hours on friday nights/sunday afternoons for T&T session. Or even have a muffler rule like Englishtown,NJ. I'd love to see them have a weekly T&T session...especially since I only live ~10 minutes away. If he can get more operating hours a week....that will equal more $$ in the gate which will let the new owner be able to do alot of the much needed upgrades/impovements. I've been told that Edgewater basically pays the bills with the gate $ from friday night t&t's.....what it makes from sat night brackets and sunday events is over and above.

50dan
03-15-2008, 01:29 PM
Well from what I know, the time restrictions were placed by the adjoining property owner (the friend buying the track) because access is permitted trough an easment on his property. That is what I was told. Therefore, that might be eliminated but I don't know for sure.

beefcake
03-15-2008, 02:08 PM
more tracks = a good thing!

Greg Seibert
03-15-2008, 08:49 PM
Well from what I know, the time restrictions were placed by the adjoining property owner (the friend buying the track) because access is permitted trough an easment on his property. That is what I was told. Therefore, that might be eliminated but I don't know for sure.
There has been an ongoing lawsuit for years between TH Drags (Kenton County) and the homeowners across the river on the Campbell County side because of the noise problem.
I started going there in the late sixties with the older guys in my neighborhood. It seems like it cost around $7.00 to race, $2.00 to watch, and .50 for a pit pass. I witnessed knife and gun :AR15:fights, fist fights (the best ones between :chug:girls), constant accusations of fixing races and cheating (cars would cross finish line first, not break-out or red light and lose)(they did this to me when I ran), and great summer nights racing into that purple sunset. The Bracket:flipoff:Racing s#!t took away the "who was the fastest" fun of the earlier class racing I remember. I have a ton of Video from that place.
Like to see it reopen, but doubt if it'll be as fun as is once was.

Jeff88coupe
03-15-2008, 09:15 PM
There has been an ongoing lawsuit for years between TH Drags (Kenton County) and the homeowners across the river on the Campbell County side because of the noise problem.
I started going there in the late sixties with the older guys in my neighborhood. It seems like it cost around $7.00 to race, $2.00 to watch, and .50 for a pit pass. I witnessed knife and gun :AR15:fights, fist fights (the best ones between :chug:girls), constant accusations of fixing races and cheating (cars would cross finish line first, not break-out or red light and lose)(they did this to me when I ran), and great summer nights racing into that purple sunset. The Bracket:flipoff:Racing s#!t took away the "who was the fastest" fun of the earlier class racing I remember. I have a ton of Video from that place.

I've known about the lawsuit for some time. My uncle's lawfirm represents the Campbell county side home owners (bunch of richy richers) who I guess didn't look at the property they bought on a Saterday later afternoon/evening before they bought it and built Mcmansions on the land.

Waffles
03-15-2008, 10:42 PM
i dont know about this last year but couple years ago they was running 1/4 and then 1/8 for delay box cars .... heard last season they were only running 1/8 for insurance reasons or some BS ....

i used to damn near live at that track, there every weekend for about 6-8 years straight .. and yes they need clocks up for sure, kinda hard to her the half drunk guy on a speaker lol

if they were able to come up with a fri night T&T that place would rake in the money . even if it was a muffler only kinda thing ...

but i am just happy to hear it going to stay a drag strip, was ALOT of rumors floating around about people wanting it just to store their airplanes or some crap ..

It was actually an air strip first. THat wasn't making any money so they started running cars.

Waffles
03-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Man, I used to have some good times at Thorn Hill. We would go down there, watch our friends run their Corollas and mini vans:lol: and sit on our tailgates and drink some beer. I miss that place.

Haha... anyone remember the Winnebago that would run down there?

cobrajoe
03-16-2008, 02:40 AM
ANY night Test & Tunes!!!:bigthumb

add open 24hrs to that too!:lol::bigthumb

MADMOD
03-16-2008, 07:59 AM

I do. Didn't they threaten to whoop his ass if he came back?:lol:

08 Vette
03-16-2008, 08:55 AM
Thornhill was always a blast. I'd race until they closed, then walk across the street and fish a Kenton lakes all night long.

Greg Seibert
03-16-2008, 08:58 AM
Saw him win at least twice in that big white POS.
Think he ran 23.09s @ 63mph.
If you remember, I ran the '85 SVO, red, with the five litre in it. One night, a bunch of friends came over to see me run. I made my first time run, came back the return road into the pits, only to see Eddie Deck with a pistol in his hand saying something about shooting some SB! Then the RV got out there and won slow bracket. Friends never wanted to come back for some reason after that.:lol:

fastone
03-16-2008, 12:09 PM
As I remember it, Al the guy who was running up until here lately, he had problems with the guys across in campbell cty. But if you are telling me the guy who bought it owns the large lake you pass on your way into the track, unless the guy buying the track just got that property in the last couple of years, he was the big problem with the track. The cops that were there, were hired by Al to keep order down there. But the guy who lives in the house with the lake had Al arrested one night for running past midnight. If your friend is the same person that has owned the property with the lake for 4-5 years or more, I find it very hard to believe, he bought Thorn-hill and plans to re-open the place. I would love to see it.... but along with everything that needs updated, they need someway of handling emergencies medic or fire.... if the train is passing you have to wait 5-10 minutes to get in there........

mustangboy
03-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Eddie Deck, I know him. I'm glad I'm on his friendly side cause he can be a mean ol sum bitch.

Waffles
03-16-2008, 12:30 PM

Ha... that guy used to run down there all the time. I can't remember his name but he had a car too. He'd pull the car down there on a trailor behind the Winnebago, then run them both. Was funny as hell to see an RV rollin down the track.

BMF_RACING
03-16-2008, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcore

Yep, that guy's name is Earl Lee. Hes a very good bracket racer, I always dredded racing him when I did the points racing. He has many race cars, but has won lots of money with the Winnebago. (won many $1,000 to $2,000 races and even one $10,000 race with it) :D Funny shit watching him beat a low 7 second dragster at tristate years ago. :lol:

Rednecks dont like losing, especially to a 23 second RV. :D

BMF_RACING
03-16-2008, 05:23 PM

As I remember it, Al the guy who was running up until here lately, he had problems with the guys across in campbell cty. But if you are telling me the guy who bought it owns the large lake you pass on your way into the track, unless the guy buying the track just got that property in the last couple of years, he was the big problem with the track. The cops that were there, were hired by Al to keep order down there. But the guy who lives in the house with the lake had Al arrested one night for running past midnight. If your friend is the same person that has owned the property with the lake for 4-5 years or more, I find it very hard to believe, he bought Thorn-hill and plans to re-open the place. I would love to see it.... but along with everything that needs updated, they need someway of handling emergencies medic or fire.... if the train is passing you have to wait 5-10 minutes to get in there........

I've heard all the same as stated above, alot of the problems with in TH dragway were with the guy out in front of the track who hated the racing. Doesn't make sense if thats the same guy. :(

Waffles
03-16-2008, 11:52 PM
Makes sense if now he stands to make money from it. Putting up with noise while someone else makes money is a whole lot different than putting up with noise while you make money.

BMF_RACING
03-17-2008, 09:12 AM
Makes sense if now he stands to make money from it. Putting up with noise while someone else makes money is a whole lot different than putting up with noise while you make money.

That is true. well guess we will see. :bigthumb

bestracing
03-17-2008, 10:10 AM
Those reaction time clocks were very rare, they "disappeared" 3 days after Ralph died. I've heard that complaint about the run off area more times than I could count. My dad remembers the track before it was paved at all, then it was only the 1/4 mile. Can you imagine running straight into dirt and a corn field?

I heard that Don Gartlett bought them so at the US Nats, I asked him about them after I've heard the rumor and he said it was true. At least they are still around.

bestracing
03-17-2008, 10:22 AM
Yea, I'd at least see one fight there a night. Saw one where a guy wanted to fight the starter because he got disqualified for his car over heating and dumping water all over the starting line.

I use to go there in 84, 85, & 86 and ran a 72 rs Camaro in the slow bracket for the fun of it. Never did much winning since I had a one wheel wonder and my times were all over the board but I went there because it was cheaper and closer than the Edge. I remember an old green beat up Nova that use to win a lot down there. I've got a few pics of my car there from a gal that use to take 35mm pics there. Her first name was Kathy but I can't remember her last name.

BMF_RACING
03-17-2008, 01:50 PM
I heard that Don Gartlett bought them so at the US Nats, I asked him about them after I've heard the rumor and he said it was true. At least they are still around.

that is good to know, prolly show up in his Drag racing Museum in FL.:bigthumb

donkey
03-17-2008, 09:14 PM
im kinda lost on this if you look in drag racing secion they are saying it was sold and going to be an airstrip. on this thread its still going to be for drag. just curious as to which part is true.:confused:confused:

Waffles
03-17-2008, 09:53 PM
Actually, my dad still keeps up with my cousin Bonnie (Ralphs grand daughter) who lived at Thornhill for 25 years or so. He'd only heard that it was going to be an airstrip too. I ran into JC Combs a few months ago at the Walton KOI. He was saying they just didn't make any money last year, likely because it was an 1/8 mile track. (He worked there.) Anyway, he'd said it was going to go back to being an airstrip too.

BMF_RACING
03-18-2008, 01:45 PM
if it doesn't open for at least one race this season, it will never open again, per the grandfathered clause. :(

Waffles
03-18-2008, 10:38 PM
I say we cut the locks off, take our cars down, I'll collect money. That should do it.

Hrod382
03-19-2008, 01:38 AM
I'm down there every weekend with tons of other guys... We'll all throw our two cents into him the first few weekends I'm sure but since you asked...

1. Gravel on the shoulder of the return roads. We all like to think our cars are nice and HATE having to drive through a freaking swamp and cover everything in mud (golf carts, trailers and obviously race cars... Not the safest thing ever). You should see the inside of our fenders (no inner wheelhouse). <---This one would be easy and not a massive expense, would make us very happy and show progress
2. Fill the pot holes. I'm a master of driving around those things but with my wheels being so damn expensive the little it would take to fill the hole in the left lane in front of the burnout box and at the end of the return road would go a long way and make us happy.Same as above, cheap but satisfying.
3. Better stands, it'd go a long way to replace the rickety old stands.
4. Obviously remove the curfew would be huge, people show up for big money races... We had 200 entries at the King of the Hill a few years ago... Al made massive money that weekend. A lot of people are turned off by the fact that they can go and race without having a winner, granted, most of them are trailered before then lol.
5. Paving the track and any sort of scoreboards would be HUGE, although I realize the price is massive. Paving the track would help bring in more dragsters, I've driven a hardtail running 5.0's in the 1/8... It's a handful and I didn't go in the dreaded right lane. I've run 5.90's in doorcars on the back bumper and never had a problem, we're stepping up this year and should hit 5.70's, I'm not the least bit concerned.

Some of you are rough on the people down there, I've heard the stories and there are some good ones but everyone's really laid back down there, now anyway... I know it was extremely rough before haha. Probably been 10 years since the last fight, we're all approachable for the most part and those of us that go are very loyal to the Hill... Would've broke my heart if it closed.

Earl Lee is the man, he's a laid back guy and I'll talk to him whenever I get the chance. Always has a beer in his hand. He won in the RV and beat a guy in box that hasn't raced since he got so mad lol. My dad has run him in his Corsica/van but we don't complain. I think he won 3 times last year in the van (maybe 4), won a 3k race and beat a dragster in the combo who redlighted. He's a drivin' fool no doubt. That van he drives now transfers weight like a beast, whenever I run him in time runs he always womps it in the staging lanes and stretches the suspension out. His racecar (the Nova covered in stickers) got fixed and he quit driving it because he said he wanted to win in the van... Won 2 weekends in a row and I think made 3 finals in a row.

To the OP, if he has any questions PM me... I can get a LOT of opinions from weekly people that run there. I'll be there first weekend of April.

Waffles
03-21-2008, 01:28 PM
Well, looks like that sale isn't going to happen. Not sure what's going to happen with it now.

fastone
03-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Well, looks like that sale isn't going to happen. Not sure what's going to happen with it now.

What do you know the rest of us don't??? How did you find out it wasn't going to sell? I talked to someone last night that did say the guy that owns the property as you enter into Thornhill...... and he was planning on opening it up..... who know. My info was from someone close with the old owner and from what I was told it is a done deal.

ponymom05
03-21-2008, 04:07 PM
Since no one really knows, let's just make up our own tale!!

And since I NEVER go there, I'm sure I can come up with something completely ridiculous.

And since some people (didn't know they were on here???) got real offended by what is said about the place (fuck, it's a race track, not your daughter) and take their useless bitching outside of here with to those not involved about what their nephew said - grow up. FOMF

I wonder if it is also under water?

Waffles
03-21-2008, 05:16 PM
What do you know the rest of us don't??? How did you find out it wasn't going to sell? I talked to someone last night that did say the guy that owns the property as you enter into Thornhill...... and he was planning on opening it up..... who know. My info was from someone close with the old owner and from what I was told it is a done deal.

I'll know more details tonight...

PonymanfiveO
03-21-2008, 07:56 PM
"The Thorn Hill Scandal....Details at eleven...only on SBZ."

:lol:

nskaats
03-22-2008, 01:31 PM

I would like to know some more details and where that info came from. Childers wouldn't sign a contract until the prospective buyers could prove that they had financing. You had to have a letter from your bank saying that you could finance it before he would sign ANY offer and put a contract on that property. I would like to know if the contract falls through and why. The listing is still pending.

The employees were already told to show up the first weekend in April. It will probably be the only track open since it's the only one not under water.

craigels
03-22-2008, 07:52 PM
I would like to know some more details and where that info came from. Childers wouldn't sign a contract until the prospective buyers could prove that they had financing. You had to have a letter from your bank saying that you could finance it before he would sign ANY offer and put a contract on that property. I would like to know if the contract falls through and why. The listing is still pending.

The employees were already told to show up the first weekend in April. It will probably be the only track open since it's the only one not under water.

Are you sure its not under water? Its right next to a river too...

Even if it is the only one open, I still wouldn't go.

Craig

ford guy
03-22-2008, 09:41 PM
It would be nice if someone bought the place and turned it around anyway

i raced for the first time at the hill about 3 years ago and have been a loyal customer ever since many good memorys of running down there with buddys

yes they did run 1/4 up until last year in the no box class (insurance too expensive is what i heard)

my car being a 10.0 car (no box 1/4) was a handful on the big end trying to get slowed down before the runoff good brakes and being on them as soon as you hit the line was a must

i hope whoever buy it if they can't make it longer they should try and make it wider its nice to have a little cusion between you and the guy in the other lane

if it closes my car is definately going on the market because fuel prices and trips to edgewater are too expensive

My $0.02
Buckner

nskaats
03-22-2008, 10:38 PM
Are you sure its not under water? Its right next to a river too...

Even if it is the only one open, I still wouldn't go.

Craig

It's right next to the river but it sits quite a bit above the river level. It hasn't flooded since 1996 when everything was under water.

You should be a little more open minded. The place used to be a little rough, but it's a lot better now. The facility needs some paint and TLC, but the racers there are friendlier than any other track around. I still prefer Edgewater to run my own cars, but Thorn Hill is a lot of fun to run and watch. Give it a shot sometime.

Greg Seibert
03-23-2008, 03:02 AM
Just got it tonight that the sale is good, and they are opening the track (according to one of the Tipton boys) who's family I used to race often.
It took me less than fifteen minutes to tow over to TH, and I would gladly run my Fords there again.:bigthumb
It would be great to see the track run the quarter instead of the eighth only again;), but I understand the Insurance woes we all have to contend with now days.
Now let's see, the Wicked Womens Thorn Hill meet will be on.............................?:lol:

Waffles
03-23-2008, 09:34 AM
Well, my dad had heard that the deal fell through, which was in error. I went down to the track yesterday and it's not under water. I talked to the new owner and everything is good to go for closing on Friday. There are plans to keep upgrading the track too. He actually made an account here and logged in to read all the comments, so keep them coming. He even measured off the 60ft mark to confirm it's really 58'... and it is. He can't afford all the upgrades at once, but he's pretty committed to sink earnings back into the track to improve it. For instance, he can't have it resurfaced right away, but he's going to at least grind the humps out of it.

Here's more good news. Evidently the 6pm-12am times (actually it reads that all vehicles must be GONE by 12am) were ordered by the Campbell Co judge. The track is not in Campbell Co. The Kenton Co judge, where the track is, said the track could run until 1am. Also, it said that the racing could start at 6pm, but nothing about timed trials possibily starting earlier.

Things will work out much better with everything being owned by one owner again. I'm pretty excited about it actually. I hadn't been there since my Uncle Ralph died, and kinda didn't want to. But I have to say, it was very cool being back down there again. I launched off the line and drove down the track a couple times just for fun. The new owner seems like a very cool guy. I think I'm gonna like it.

50dan
03-23-2008, 09:42 AM
Jerry is a great guy. Camping, fishing and drag racing!!! How about that 24hrs test and tune Jerry??? LOL :bigthumb

Now all you need is an on site Dyno :eek:

ponymom05
03-23-2008, 10:49 AM
It's great to see it finally confirmed about the 60' mark. This has been an ongoing argument for years. Very honest of the guy to check it out and admit a problem. Sounds like he's off to a good start. I hope to see good things in the future for the Hill. Seems a shame to have a track that close to home and not want to go there. Now if we could just get Friday night TnT, that would be awesome. Keep us posted on the progress.

Waffles
03-23-2008, 01:21 PM
He's really interested in doing things up right, but also has to be able to afford it. We need to make sure we have patience with him and keep up the patronage so he can get those things done. He also WANTS the track to be a 1/4 mile, but he needs to work out insurance and see what's up. Also, since it's only been an 1/8 mile, the lights were not redone for the full track. There are some challenges, but I think he'll work through them.

If anyone has any connections that will help, we should share them. There are a lot of things to fix, but there are a lot of people here who can help, or know people who can help.

Hrod382
03-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Since he reads and it's a week or two away...

He just has to ask Al about who wired the track, it's a racer down there and he did the 1/8 mile this summer... He's as smart as they come with cars and wiring, once a few bugs go straightened out we never had trouble with it.

If the owner isn't going to mow it himself I know the guy who had the contract before and he would like to do it again if it's an option, he races down there and uses it for entry money/gas.

NONE of us are expecting to go in there first weekend and see a newly paved track/scoreboards and all that. We realize it's not practical. What we do feel is practical is filling the potholes in the burnout box/return road and hopefully putting gravel on the sides of the return road and on the other side of the track. For spectators sake it would be nice to see the stands put up but this obviously will all take a while.

Another thing, I don't really complain much... Not my nature but I absolutely HATE two round buybacks as does everyone else. First round is more than fine but I hated that they were doing second round buybacks. I got runner up one night, 8 freaking rounds and I won $650 only because I split.

Nice to hear he wants to run 1/4, it screws me over because I'd never get stopped if I ran no box but it's definetely for the good of the track and bringing in money. A lot of people don't run because they want to run 1/4 which I completely understand.

Anyways, I'm just glad it's going to stay open so you won't hear me complain if things stay as they are. For others though, I think an hour or two extra of being able to run and some subtle things like filling potholes/gravel would go a long way in showing the track has a good direction. I know plenty of people that would run the Hill if it wasn't for problems they had with the old management. There's complainers there, just like any track but generally we're pretty easy to get along with and I welcome the change.

Waffles
03-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Honestly, I thought 1/8 was only for rice. lol

nskaats
03-24-2008, 05:53 PM
No, roll racing is for imports and fucktards that can't set up a chassis. Running 1/8 mile is for the folks that don't like adrenaline or don't have a decent track to run at; it's over as soon as it starts.

If the new owner expects it to succeed he better go back to 1/4 mile. Insurance is not that much more expensive.

hondaboynky
03-24-2008, 06:58 PM
i also kinda know the guy who bought it ( through his daughter ) hes a real nice guy... i did here that he def wants to open it and make it better.... Repaving it and TnT would make a worlds dif. down there thats the only track that i can wheel hop past the sixty ft.. BUT GOOD LUCK AND I CANT WAIT TO SEE WHAT HE DOES

Waffles
03-25-2008, 02:45 AM
Heather is a cool chic. And yeah, Nick Skaats and I went down there tonight and talked to him some more. Once he gets closed, we're going to be doing whatever we can to put volunteer help and resources together to help him out. He's looking at all the right things, and we're excited about it.

craigels
03-25-2008, 10:06 PM
He even measured off the 60ft mark to confirm it's really 58'... and it is.

:lol: I knew it! No wonder its the best hooking track around!

I'm looking forward to seeing what the new owners do with the place. It'll be nice to have a NICE place that close to the house.

Craig

Waffles
03-25-2008, 10:21 PM
He's planning on newly poured burnout boxes and grinding the high spots out of the track by open. That should be a good start.

g.meyer
03-25-2008, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the negative and positive feedback.I will do what I can to improve the racing conditions. I am looking into insurance cost of going back to the 1/4 mile.Will try to keep you informed as things progress.GMeyer

Waffles
03-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Hey there! Glad to see you finally post instead of just lurking the darkness lol. How's Maestro getting along?

BUZZ90
03-25-2008, 10:32 PM
Used to race there in the 60's and early 70's. They had traffic lights mounted
sideways, then switched to the clocks. It was a good time, in a
different world. Ran a 59 ford w/ 427, 4spd, then later a 69 mach 1, 428,4spd.

nskaats
03-25-2008, 11:50 PM
Very nice to see you posting on here Mr. Meyer. We have a good group of people over here, and at the NKYFBA, that are always willing to give some input.

I still think that bird is a lil' psycho...

Waffles
03-26-2008, 12:31 AM
Poor bird had been riding around in my Cobra for 2 hours lol Of course it was a little psycho!

nskaats
03-26-2008, 12:35 AM
I kind of enjoyed the ride myself...even if it was a Mustang

*putting flame suit on*

Waffles
03-26-2008, 01:01 AM
lol... well, it certainly wasn't going to be your Camaro now was it? :flipoff:

Hrod382
03-26-2008, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the negative and positive feedback.I will do what I can to improve the racing conditions. I am looking into insurance cost of going back to the 1/4 mile.Will try to keep you informed as things progress.GMeyer

I'm glad more than anything you're keeping it a track... We're some loyal SOB's so you're basically guaranteed the same core group every weekend. I'll do whatever I can to help.

I feel kind of dirty posting on a Mustang site, mostly I feel less manly :D

nskaats
03-26-2008, 01:06 AM
lol... well, it certainly wasn't going to be your Camaro now was it? :flipoff:

Hey, I got it running tonight. I dunno what the deal was but it fired right up when I went back today. I'm thinking the plugs may have just been loaded up from before....

You know where I live now, bring that Cobra up here and show me what it's got :evilflip:

Waffles
03-29-2008, 01:00 PM
IT HAS BEGUN!

A bunch of us were out at the Hill last night. Nick and I took lots of pictures tearing out concrete and blacktop. Some of the old concrete that was just poured a few years ago was only about 1-1/2" or 2" thick in a lot of places and had no steel reinforncement. The new concrete will be at least 6" with steel rebar and wire, and extended far beyond the old burnout boxes. I'll try to post some pics up later.

fastone
03-29-2008, 03:18 PM
IT HAS BEGUN!

A bunch of us were out at the Hill last night. Nick and I took lots of pictures tearing out concrete and blacktop. Some of the old concrete that was just poured a few years ago was only about 1-1/2" or 2" thick in a lot of places and had no steel reinforncement. The new concrete will be at least 6" with steel rebar and wire, and extended far beyond the old burnout boxes. I'll try to post some pics up later.

Sounds like we need to start a new thread in "projects in progress" Sounds like the new owner is going to do what he can to make it alot better place!!!!

Waffles
03-29-2008, 06:15 PM
Not a bad idea :) Think I'll do that.