PDA

View Full Version : Gears: CRUSH SLEEVE!!!!

chadomac
03-15-2008, 10:52 AM
hey guys bought a 87 gt about month ago trying to restore. fixing some must have first, well the guy i got it from changed the gears to a 410 did not get the crush sleeve crushed its tore down in my garge up in the air and i can NOT get it crushed for anything everything in side looks good just need some help anyone near amelia know how to get this done?

badshoe
03-15-2008, 03:54 PM
It takes a long bar and a bunch of pulling. Take a look at my short 8.8" preload video to see what's needed http://youtube.com/badshoeproductions

bangingears
03-15-2008, 04:43 PM
or a nice impact

bobtsgt
03-15-2008, 11:25 PM
they make a spacer kit that you can use besides a crush sleeve. Takes the pain out of crushing and it comes with shims as well. Think its like $25 or so.

8banger
03-30-2008, 08:08 PM
they make a spacer kit that you can use besides a crush sleeve. Takes the pain out of crushing and it comes with shims as well. Think its like $25 or so.

Yep..All I'll use..Crush sleeves can compress under hard launches enough for the yoke to get loose...I've got one in stang and used them in all my other hot rods in the past......re-useable also... :bigthumb

Black Horse
03-30-2008, 08:28 PM
Old trick - once you get a rearend set-up with the proper lash using a crush sleeve, take it back apart, measure the sleeve height and make a space to the same height. Bingo, solid spacer that gives the right lash.