PDA

View Full Version : ok say you have it a tooth or two off on timing?

plated
03-16-2008, 01:58 PM
trying to figure out whether or not we got the 2v in time correct, it isn't interfering but runs like it has a couple spark plugs crossed and it's stinky eggs smell it has stock converters.wondering if it's firing wrong?? will it even run if the timings off??

89notch
03-16-2008, 02:03 PM
trying to figure out whether or not we got the 2v in time correct, it isn't interfering but runs like it has a couple spark plugs crossed and it's stinky eggs smell it has stock converters.wondering if it's firing wrong?? will it even run if the timings off??

Sounds like the converters are junk to me. My 02 ford escape did the same thing popped and cracked like it was out of time and had no power and smelled like rotten eggs. Cut the converter off and it fixed it

plated
03-16-2008, 02:28 PM
that explaines why the converter was glowing:eek:

bbfstanger
03-16-2008, 02:47 PM
it sounds like the cam timing is off,retarded cam and fuel issues will cause the converters to glow.
it will run if the timing is off but rough and or doggy.

Timido
03-16-2008, 02:55 PM
I had a car I fixed and the converters were glowing. I had the Fuel Canister hooked up to straight vaccum it was sucking raw fuel in the Vaccum. It could be off a tooth.

plated
03-16-2008, 05:17 PM
ok this is what i came up with,i have number 1 up on top dead center compression stroke. Pulled the drivers side valvecover off and the cam sensor is not lined up with the hump on the cam gear. It looks like it's a tooth off from lining up with the hump on the gear and the cam sensor. Should it be lined up?????

Timido
03-16-2008, 06:58 PM
Did you install the chains like this..... Hold a chain up in the air by one outside flat mark that outside flat and the one on the other end when holding it up with white paint marks. Do that to both chains. With the motor at TDC line the dots on the cam gears and crank gear up with the marks on the white paint.

8NO4CYL
03-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Did that twice. Made sure there was no slack in the chain on the straight side where the guide is. The only slack was on the tensioner side. Obviously we turned the motor over after we installed the chains and there was not any interference. The white dots on the chains did not line up after that, but I guess you would have to turn it over a bunch of times to recheck it.......:confused:

Timido
03-16-2008, 08:10 PM
Sounds like it should be timed right. You can allways count the chain links between the dotts also. Could be a Vaccum leak? What was the problem in the first place?

plated
03-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Sounds like it should be timed right. You can allways count the chain links between the dotts also. Could be a Vaccum leak? What was the problem in the first place?

bought the car with a bad rod,used the heads and intake on another shortblock. put it together and wala:confused:want a side job timmy:bigthumb modmotors are poopie

cstreu1026
03-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Where did you get the directions to time the engine?

There is pretty good write up posted here:http://www.daytonstangboard.com/showthread.php?t=5915

NXcoupe
03-17-2008, 07:28 AM
Wish I lived closer. hope you get it sorted out.

8NO4CYL
03-17-2008, 10:12 PM
I had a car I fixed and the converters were glowing. I had the Fuel Canister hooked up to straight vaccum it was sucking raw fuel in the Vaccum. It could be off a tooth.

Tim could you elaborate on this? Where does the line connect to? Behind the throttle body?

plated
03-17-2008, 11:02 PM
the f'n valves bent used the heads off the old motor well the old motor kicked a rod #4 sending the piston up letting the valve to meet the piston.. :flipoff: just wish i caught it before the heads were put back on

cstreu1026
03-18-2008, 09:09 AM
No shit. That sucks and it means you need another set of head bolts. It might be time to invest in some head studs.

plated
03-18-2008, 10:11 AM
next question can i pull an intake and exhaust valve out of a non pi head and use it in a pi head? no one stocks replacement valves:confused:

Brandon Alsept
03-18-2008, 11:43 AM
The exhaust Valve is bigger in the PI heads. The Intakes are the same though;)

94tchikinv8
03-18-2008, 07:42 PM
I thought the PI valves were longer? Correct me if I'm wrong.

-Rob

plated
03-19-2008, 11:46 AM
thanks guys just picked up the head from hucks 2 new valves and the head checked out good.i guess i'll try it again:rolleyes: should just put a tree oh two in it lol

Timido
03-19-2008, 05:04 PM
I should have told you to check base engine stuff first. Compression and leakdown . Glad you found it though.

na svt
03-31-2008, 10:47 AM
A simple compression check will tell you if the camshaft timing is off.