PDA

View Full Version : 2.3 tc oil seapage problem.

2l8iwn
03-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Just got the 2.3 tc up and running. After running it numerous times we noticed there is a poop load of oil leaking out from behind the front timing cover. Also there is a little from what looks to be coming from the rear main seal. Does anybody know if there are any secrets when putting a 2.3 turbo back together about any special needs these seals may have to have so that they wont leak under pressure. There is only one little pressure vent in the valve cover that allows for the positive pressure in the crankcase to ventilate. I wonder if putting a breather on the valve cover might help

anyone?

brncoupe5.0
03-17-2008, 07:45 PM
I would ck the pcv system seems like I had this same problem to,and I replaced the pcv valve.Or I put an extra one in the system.

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-17-2008, 08:05 PM
What gasket did you use on the valve cover? If you used anything other than a real Ford 2.3 Ranger gasket (black silicone metal reinforced) then you're probably leaking there.

2l8iwn
03-18-2008, 03:00 PM
not sure on the gasket, but it definately was black rubber with steel reinforced o-rings where the bolt holes go through. After talking to some buddies i think i might have had boost pressure push past the pcv valve. I am going to replace the front seals, cam seal, and rear main seal this weekend and get a check valve from a 93 emissions control. I will put that in line with a new pcv. That should solve the problem. Thanks guys

ford guy
03-18-2008, 06:30 PM
let us know how it turns out please

my 88tc did the same thing at about 140,000 ruined my clutch and made my hood nasty currently in the middle of a rebuild and transplant

i think i remeber reading a thread over on turboford.org where a guy used a ball bearing and some brass fittings to make a heavy duty pcv valve just make sure its vertical and the hoses arn't backwards

good luck

2l8iwn
03-19-2008, 11:51 AM
well the emissions control check valve didnt work out as it was threaded on one end and was absolutely monsterous. We instead used a check valve for a brake booster and it works perfectly. Talked to my dad yesterday and he started to tear the front down so he could change the seals. Here is the kicker, he pulled the cam gear and then the dust wheel behind it. He started to look around and cant find the cam seal. Surely its got to be somewhere cause that baby would have leaked like a siv if not right? Im going up there in a day or two to see if i can find it. Im hoping it just fell and rolled into a crack in the floor or something. But indeed if we did forget it i will man up and tell ya. One thing is for sure, a new one is going back in it either way!! This project is eating away at my pride one bolt at time. :(

dedpedal
03-20-2008, 07:51 AM
I dont think that the cam seal is under pressure normaly, so most of the oil you see could be from the faulty PCV.

2l8iwn
03-20-2008, 10:36 AM
Well the front seals are fixed and the front of the motor is back together again. dad let the car idle for about 30 minutes and no leaks front or rear of the engine. This weekend i have to address an idle bypass valve and one of the tensioners is a little angled and causing the belt to ride a little off. After that it will be ready to drive......again.