PDA

View Full Version : Coil Over Installation Question

fst 5pto
03-18-2008, 10:15 PM
Ok I started putting my coilovers on tonight and after instllation of one side I turned the spindle and there was a grinding noise. After a couple minutes of inspection I found the problem to be the spring hitting against a bolt for the caster/camber plates. So loosen them up and what not and the rubbing noise goes away. I am assuming this fixed the issue and it no longer does it, but when ever I turn the spindle now you can see the bolt/nut on the top of the strut spinning a little.... is this normal or should I maybe try tightening it down more?

Thanks Guys!

Brandon

Carl
03-18-2008, 10:22 PM
The nut on top of the strut spins with the spindle on mine too. Just means that the bolt is tight against the bushing....thats a good thing. I have Steeda cc plates on mine.

fst 5pto
03-18-2008, 10:29 PM
Sounds good then. Does it sound like the problem I described before makes sense to my assumption? I am new to the world of coil overs so I want to make sure I am doing everything right....

fst 5pto
03-18-2008, 10:40 PM
Also wasnt sure if this is a big deal, but it seems like the spindle sits higher than before, meaning the front end will sit lower and the wheel tucked further in the well.... now this may just be me, but I haven't had a wheel on there yet but has anyone else noticed this?

Black Horse
03-18-2008, 10:44 PM
It sounds normal to me....remeber, everything will be a bit different up in the air. Wait until you get the weight on the springs and then check for rubbing and issues.

5.0calypso93lx
03-18-2008, 10:46 PM
I hoped you wrapped the strut bodies with duct tape.

fst 5pto
03-18-2008, 11:24 PM
I hoped you wrapped the strut bodies with duct tape.

has anyone else heard of doing this and if so what are the opinions?

quik lx
03-19-2008, 08:35 AM
You should have a set of bushings that slide over the machined end of the strut and go into the bearing (top and bottom) on the caster camber plate. If the coil over hat hits with the smaller one on the bottom, flip the taller one to the bottom. Never used duct tape, but I do put a bead of RTV around the bottom (before sliding the tube on) to keep out water and keep the coil over threaded tube from moving back and forth. Also check for contact with the brake hose bracket when the wheels turn back and forth, some kits require moving that back a couple inches.

fst 5pto
03-19-2008, 09:02 AM
You should have a set of bushings that slide over the machined end of the strut and go into the bearing (top and bottom) on the caster camber plate. If the coil over hat hits with the smaller one on the bottom, flip the taller one to the bottom. Never used duct tape, but I do put a bead of RTV around the bottom (before sliding the tube on) to keep out water and keep the coil over threaded tube from moving back and forth. Also check for contact with the brake hose bracket when the wheels turn back and forth, some kits require moving that back a couple inches.

I am not 100% sure what you are talking about, but all I have is the strut, the coilover sleeve, then there is a piece that sits around the top of the spring with a washer, a bearing, then another washer followed by another piece that holds all that in place, then a thick spacer, then it goes through the caster/camber plates followed by the srtut nut.

quik lx
03-19-2008, 08:48 PM
I have never seen a set-up without bushings, what C/C plates are you using?

fst 5pto
03-19-2008, 11:40 PM
I am not 100% sure as I bought them used.... I know there is a bushing on the inside of the CC plates if that is what you're talking about?

quik lx
03-20-2008, 08:45 AM
Yeah, the bushing that fit into the c/c plate bearing can be moved from top to bottom, put the longer ones on the bottom.

fst 5pto
03-20-2008, 01:26 PM
From looking at a schematic online it does not look like I have the solid bushings.... All I have on the top of the CC plates is the nut and underneath directly is a spacer about an inch long....

fst 5pto
03-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Double checked everything and I do not have those bushings. I sent an email to BBK ( i think thats the brand) to see if I could get those separate and I am still waiting on a response.... I bought these used and didn't know you needed the bushings.... Anyone know where I can get these bushings?

Thanks,

Brandon