PDA

View Full Version : Investments

cobra_SVT_Girl
03-20-2008, 09:52 PM
Man...this market is KILLING me! I've easily lost $2K so far on my ytd return for 08. It may not seem like that much but it is to me. This market SUCKS. It seems like talk of a rate drop spiced things up a bit, but for how long? Majority of my investments are in high risk funds and I'm fairly young so I can ride this out but DARN IT! I don't want to lose any more money.

Luckily, most of my funds are set up on "automatic asset builder" where I buy a bulk of my shares monthly, so I'm hoping through dollar-cost averaging I can score some good deals and make a little $ when things pick up again...

GRRRRR.... I'd just like to see one whole week in the green....

Okay..I'm done w/ my rant.

Timido
03-20-2008, 10:06 PM
A lot of people notice it. When you were making 10.0+% for the last couple years you didnt follow it that close. Keep in mind the stocks you are buying today are in the pooper also. They will go up

DeckerEnt
03-20-2008, 10:12 PM
This may sound weird but right now is the time to buy into the stock market. The dot com bubble has already burst, and stocks that take a dip are basically going on sale. Any company that is well run will recover any losses and eventually go up. I hope you are investing in a roth IRA or something like that.
Keith

Black Horse
03-20-2008, 10:13 PM
You have to look at it as long term investments....be prepared to weather the storms. One of the largest reasons the market is so volitile right now is because those that made so much a few years ago dont like seeing things backslide....so they try to move funds around....it just makes it worse.

cobra_SVT_Girl
03-20-2008, 10:22 PM
I know I know....it's just annoying, everytime I log into my accounts and see a big fat NEGATIVE sign I just freak out. I agree w/ Timido....life was good when I was getting the 10-12% returns...it just sucks to see everything dip. I haven't lost any of my capital yet...hopefully i won't.

I'm in for the long haul...so I know I have to weather the storm...it still burns my ass though....I don't like losing money.

I've got little nesteggs all over the place lol. I'm a depression survivor reincarnate. I've got a Roth, 401K, 403b. I think I'm over covered for my retirement.

I have my mutual funds w/ USAA, T Rowe, and Sharebuilder. I really like all of them so far. Had them for 2 years. I have my 6 mos emergency fund is in ING Direct. I have my mini-emergency fund at 53rd---although I'm really looking for a new bank. I don't like 53rd at all. Any suggestions?

Timido
03-20-2008, 10:26 PM
https://www.cintelfcu.org/prodserv/infopr.html

has CD's right about 4.0% right now.

PaulFiveOh
03-20-2008, 10:36 PM
I have had some SERIOUS luck, riding the waves with penny stocks and by getting pretty lucky with options on the big name guys.

See, I can not stand not having DIRECT control over my funds, prob has something to do with my age but when I lose/make on the futures market.....it was my fault and no one elses for being wrong/right.

Maybe when I actully have enough money that it becomes meaningful, I'll invest in CD's and let someone else take the wheel lol.

Mista Bone
03-20-2008, 11:08 PM
I've never seen an energy stock take a big hit, CG&E stock was good to my family.

Dad did the DRIP and at end of year he was allowed to put so much in and the company would match it 2-1, yeah instant triple of your money, the rollover the dividends = HOLY SHIT it gre fast.

69428SCJ
03-21-2008, 01:34 AM
Okay, I'm a financial advisor for World Financial Group in Anderson so maybe I can help shed a little light on this. For anyone that's reading this.....DO NOT INVEST IN CD's RIGHT NOW! Or don't invest in anything that revolves around the value of the dollar. Their ROI is based on the dollar and since it's declining they're worthless right now. TIPS bonds are giving about 10% right now but that's only going to be shorter term. If you're interested PM me and we can talk more about making a defensive investment strategy for you, or for that matter anyone else that might be interested in talking more about investing money.

Sharad
03-21-2008, 09:59 AM
one of my good friends is making money hand over fist (thousands of dollars a week) "short selling" stocks. It's easy to do when the market is this shaky.

PaulFiveOh
03-21-2008, 10:46 AM
one of my good friends is making money hand over fist (thousands of dollars a week) "short selling" stocks. It's easy to do when the market is this shaky.

Thats exactly what I am doing, but no where near the tune of thosands of dollars / week.

nkystanger
03-21-2008, 10:58 AM
I just checked my 401k and im down 10.5% for the year. :mad:

fst 5pto
03-21-2008, 11:05 AM
This is why when you invest you need to look at the 5 or 10 year gain, which will give you the best idea. Getting started when you are youg is key.... I started a Roth IRA this year, I am 22 and I put $4,000 in it (maximum allowed). A "safe" approximation known throughout history is every 7 years your investment doubles.... this means by the time I am 71, I SHOULD have approximately $512,000. This does not include my 401K or other investments. I don't want to have to worry about how I am going to survive when I am retired... who KNOWS where Social Security Benefits will be?

69428SCJ
03-21-2008, 02:56 PM
This is why when you invest you need to look at the 5 or 10 year gain, which will give you the best idea. Getting started when you are youg is key.... I started a Roth IRA this year, I am 22 and I put $4,000 in it (maximum allowed). A "safe" approximation known throughout history is every 7 years your investment doubles.... this means by the time I am 71, I SHOULD have approximately $512,000. This does not include my 401K or other investments. I don't want to have to worry about how I am going to survive when I am retired... who KNOWS where Social Security Benefits will be?

If you want to make much more than that at a much earlier age you should look into a Variable Universal Life insurance policy. I have one and long story short since I max it out ($8300 a year) from now (I'm 24) until I'm 55, I'll be able to pull $242,000 out TAX FREE a year for 35 years. Keep in mind that I only put in $250,000. Don't forget guys, if anyone wants to talk about this stuff more, shoot me a PM and I'll help answer questions

fst 5pto
03-21-2008, 03:20 PM
If you want to make much more than that at a much earlier age you should look into a Variable Universal Life insurance policy. I have one and long story short since I max it out ($8300 a year) from now (I'm 24) until I'm 55, I'll be able to pull $242,000 out TAX FREE a year for 35 years. Keep in mind that I only put in $250,000. Don't forget guys, if anyone wants to talk about this stuff more, shoot me a PM and I'll help answer questions

my financial advisor was initially going to set me up on something like this but he said with my driving record I would not be able to do this.... ill shoot you a PM over the weekend and well talk.

Jaylynn
03-21-2008, 06:05 PM
To the 22-year old putting $4000 in a Roth IRA - - - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! You're one-step ahead of the game & must be much more responsible than i was at your age ($10k student loan debt & $8k credit card debt)

By the way - - your $4k every year until your 71 years old with conservative 7% compounding interest will bring you more like $1.6 million dollars according to my spreadsheet. Oh, and by the way that's TAX FREE if you're in a roth ira - so good move. If you're also saving in 401k etc.. you'll probably want to retire a little earlier to enjoy your savings ;-)