PDA

View Full Version : curse of the red car....

91lxnos
03-21-2008, 09:29 AM
Well wouldn't you know it. I took the car out for a drive yesterday and got out on a back road thought what the heck. I stopped and rolled out in 1st gear lighting up the tires and then 2nd pulling good then down to 3rd and.............. nothin! It was as if I shifted up into nuteral. coasted to a stop and tried all gears and nothin no 1,2,3 or rev. just reved! ????front pump, converter????
So I called a buddy and he picked me up and we got the trailer and got it home. From the history of this car it loves to break shit! Right Mark LOL Well I am not going to bash the tranny shop (yet) that did the freshin up on it at the end of the year last year, (that Mark is still recovering from) until I know what went out. It is a PA Super Comp and it needed a new front pump and rebuild
the shop put in a stock pump and not the high volume pump fron PA. He said he was told (from PA) that it "really" dosn't matter so we'll see. The car has less then 100 miles on the rebuild street/strip I checked all the linkage and it goes through all the gears clicking onto each on at the tranny. A buddy told me to take one of the lines off the tranny cooler and see if it is pumping fluid.Should I leave the tranny in the car so if I have to take it to a shop they can "test" it somehow...I am not a trans man. (Chad leave that one alone)So I am on the broke list before I can even make the list....Boy sounds just like last year! FU#*IN red cars!!!!!!!!!!!

mustangrfast88
03-21-2008, 09:41 AM
im no tranny man but sounds like same thing happened to a freinds car the pump was bad in his trans and i think pa put a big pump in it for a reason and putting a pump to small might of killed the trans

bbfstanger
03-21-2008, 07:14 PM
that trans sounds very familiar.
theres a small 7/16 plug on the side of the trans you can hook up a pressure gauge should be atleast 75psi at idle.
also for a quick ck ,ck the fluid and if its overfull when running the pump aint workin,cause the converter drains back when not running.
if you have any ? pm me

93hulk
03-21-2008, 08:16 PM
First of all i sold that car because do believe it is cursed. Second of all i hope the trans is ok cause damn i have a bunch money in the bitch! Hope its ok Doug. Thanks for digging up some painfull memories.:flipoff:

PonymanfiveO
03-21-2008, 08:36 PM
...I am a trans man.

:lol:

sorry...had to. Chad made me. :cool1:

91lxnos
03-21-2008, 08:43 PM
First of all i sold that car because do believe it is cursed. Second of all i hope the trans is ok cause damn i have a bunch money in the bitch! Hope its ok Doug. Thanks for digging up some painfull memories.:flipoff:

Thanks for the kind thoughts I think I mite have to take over where you left off$$$$$$$$$$$

But latest is Chad393na (Chad) came over and we disconnected the tranny lines at the cooler and started the motor to see if we would have fluid pumping and we did, don't know if the preasure was there or not. I assume like fuel,volume dosn't mean preasure, right????

Would this happen if the converter took a crap????? The trans is not making any noise and the fluid looked and smelled fine.

If I do not have the 75psi you are talking about would that mean a bad pump????
I appreciate all the help you guys can give me:confused:

91lxnos
03-21-2008, 08:46 PM
:lol:

sorry...had to. Chad made me. :cool1:

Thats just wrrrrrrrrrong!!! I knew Chad was cheating on me:squirt:

dedpedal
03-21-2008, 09:03 PM
Mine took a dump a couple years ago and it turned out that whoever freshened it before I bought it put a spring in wrong (backwards) and it ate the clutches. I still had reverse tho.

Timido
03-21-2008, 10:42 PM
Psst PM Transman.

bbfstanger
03-21-2008, 11:13 PM
if you have cooler flow ,which is not mainline pressure,the pump should be working.
not moving could be the input shaft,converter or forward drum.
they all have splines that can strip out or break.
sent you a pm.

91lxnos
03-21-2008, 11:23 PM
The trans was just rebuilt about 100-150 miles ago completely gon through. It has a Hardened imput shaft I would have to say the weakest link would be the converter I bought it used about 6 years ago and was told it was a Hughes(sp) so not really a highend unit is the only way to check it is to have it cut open? When I pull the trans I will know if it is the input shaft should be obveous right?? wouldn't it be making alot of noise if it snapped??