PDA

View Full Version : Anyone run a spagless converter?

kennebellcobra
03-22-2008, 06:24 PM
I sent my ptc converter back and after cutting it open and going over everything again they said they need to take out the sprag and tighten it up. I have heard so many people say spagless is not streetable and my car is mainly a street car so I was just curious if anyone runs a spagless on the street? Is it any different? They are saying it will be fine on the street.

95turbocharged
03-23-2008, 04:11 AM
Damn you would fiqure that there would be more people talking about this than nothing at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
good luck!

89notch
03-23-2008, 05:28 AM
My old converter from PTc was spragless and I couldnt tell a difference.

mustang8998
03-23-2008, 09:58 AM
You won't have any engine braking, in 1st gear. Thats the only drawback.

Makes it nice, after making a pass, just throw it in 1st and coast.

kennebellcobra
03-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Is it jurky under normal driving when you let of and get back in?

JASON408
03-23-2008, 01:50 PM
most convetors when get in to big horsepower are spragless . both my convetors are spragless and drive fine on the street i i didnt now about the free whelling in first i alway thought is was the valve body but i learn something new everyday . i dont use engine braking broke my first auto that way . no one ever told me i should not down shift a race trans till i broke it :lol: i learned somthing new that day to :bigthumb

Timido
03-23-2008, 05:17 PM
Mine has a HD Sprag I never knew the difference.

Rick93coupe
03-23-2008, 06:19 PM
I know the valve body does having something to do with engine braking. I had an option of 2 valve bodies, 1 would not allow engine braking, and the other would. Both were pro tree trans brake v/b's too. Not sure where the converter sprag comes into play.

kennebellcobra
03-23-2008, 08:38 PM
I have searched everywhere possible and get so many different answers I'm not sure what to do. I think I'm going to call PTC and make sure they know this is a street car and not a race car.

mustang8998
03-24-2008, 07:59 PM
I'll stand corrected. It is the valvebody, that allows the freewheeling.

The only bad thing I could find, is the spragless builds more heat and may rob a couple MPH on the big end.

The good, one less item to break, or wear out.

Now someone give me a fish!

kennebellcobra
03-24-2008, 08:13 PM
I'll stand corrected. It is the valvebody, that allows the freewheeling.

The only bad thing I could find, is the spragless builds more heat and may rob a couple MPH on the big end.

The good, one less item to break, or wear out.

Now someone give me a fish!

Yea, I talked to Lane for a long time today and he assured me that I will not notice a difference other than 10-15 degrees higher temps and will loose 1-2 mph but the et will be the same(Don't fully get that part). I even asked him about driving it to BG or Columbus and he said it will not be a problem. He said they can put the spag back in it but it already showed a lot of wear and will break. He thinks the weight of my car and that instant torque spagless is the best way to go. I guess I'm going to go spagless, add an extra cooler and hope the best:angel:

White1967
03-25-2008, 05:36 PM
Check this link out and see if this site can give you anymore insight. I see them in National Dragster all the time.

Frank

www.transmission-specialties.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=22

kennebellcobra
03-26-2008, 09:21 PM
Got the converter in tonight and went for a test drive. It feels alot stronger and smoother. I have read about them not being streetable but I just don't see a difference. Now just to get it back to the track and see what it can do when it stays off the limiter:D

Thumbs up to PTC for the quick turn around and telling me right about not being able to tell the difference with the spagless.

95turbocharged
03-27-2008, 12:01 AM
I took a ride in it tonight and it felt so much stronger than before and so I would say it is great on the street!!! maybe next time i can drive:lol::bigthumb

Maximus
03-27-2008, 12:03 AM
I took a ride in it tonight and it felt so much stronger than before and so I would say it is great on the street!!! maybe next time i can drive:lol::bigthumb

Hell! Ill throw in some $$ for gas if I can drive!!:lol::bigthumb

kennebellcobra
03-27-2008, 11:11 AM
Hell! Ill throw in some $$ for gas if I can drive!!:lol::bigthumb

How about some race gas and we'll put a race gas tune on it:rolleyes:

JIMS SVT
03-27-2008, 11:36 AM
[QUOTE=kennebellcobra;360812]Got the converter in tonight and went for a test drive.
Thumbs up to PTC for the quick turn around QUOTE]

:bigthumb to PTC ...I also received my new converter for my new setup lastnight.Good luck with the setup.

MADMOD
03-27-2008, 06:37 PM
Got the converter in tonight and went for a test drive. It feels alot stronger and smoother. I have read about them not being streetable but I just don't see a difference. Now just to get it back to the track and see what it can do when it stays off the limiter:D

Thumbs up to PTC for the quick turn around and telling me right about not being able to tell the difference with the spagless.

How about Tri State Saturday?:bigthumb

kennebellcobra
03-27-2008, 07:09 PM
How about Tri State Saturday?:bigthumb

I called them today and they said their not sure if they will be open and to call back later and check. If they are I'm game..heck if not I may go up Kil Kare

kennebellcobra
03-27-2008, 07:18 PM
[QUOTE=kennebellcobra;360812]Got the converter in tonight and went for a test drive.
Thumbs up to PTC for the quick turn around QUOTE]

:bigthumb to PTC ...I also received my new converter for my new setup lastnight.Good luck with the setup.

Got the trans yet? Tri-state Saturday for that 7.99;)

JIMS SVT
03-27-2008, 07:29 PM
Damn...7.99....Your shits fast.

kennebellcobra
03-27-2008, 07:32 PM
Damn...7.99....Your shits fast.

I was meaning your shit for Saturday

JIMS SVT
03-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Aint gonna be anywhere near that.

kennebellcobra
03-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Aint gonna be anywhere near that.

Sure it won't...I seen them two twin 88's with your name marked on them sitting in the back:lol:

JIMS SVT
03-27-2008, 07:48 PM
Lol...didnt you see the two stages of NOS next to them?

kennebellcobra
03-27-2008, 07:55 PM
I was'nt going to mention that but yeah I did.

JIMS SVT
03-27-2008, 08:00 PM
Got to have somthin to spool those monster 88's on a stock bore/stroke 281.One kit per turbo.Not even gonna run jets in them there lines.Lol