PDA

View Full Version : Surveyor wanted

Kevin Doe
03-24-2008, 01:25 PM
I'm looking to have my yard surveyed for installing a fence. Anyone here a surveyor that would like some side money?

PaulFiveOh
03-24-2008, 03:36 PM
You know, only you would care about a 1/16" rise over 150 feet of back yard.....

Kevin Doe
03-24-2008, 03:46 PM
You know, only you would care about a 1/16" rise over 150 feet of back yard.....

What are you talking about retardo. I want a surveyor to tell me where my property lines are, so I can put a fence on it...........

theyallslow
03-24-2008, 04:31 PM
I think that is was a sad engineering question.

Mista Bone
03-24-2008, 04:38 PM

I think he's more worried that a neighbor's fence might be on his side of the line by 1/64".

IWRBB
03-24-2008, 04:39 PM
Call Landsdale surveying. We send everyone to them when they call us for this type of surveying. We do construction staking in support of our engineering, we are too big to make money on that type of stuff. Landsdale might charge $300~500 total, we can't even get our crews out there and back for that, let alone do any courthouse research or office work with the research.

ibstrokin
03-24-2008, 05:58 PM
Pm Replicobra, he does surveying where he works, not sure if he can help, but worth a try.
Also be sure to call Ohio utility protection services (oups), they will organize locates from the Gas/Phone/cable/Elec. companies. This will also protect you from lawsuits in case something gets damaged that was off the locate.

I have seen people hit large phone cables with an ouger while installing a fence.

Here is a link

http://www.oups.org/

mustang8998
03-24-2008, 06:52 PM
Do you have the plat, of the property? That should be all you need. I don't know if you can get one from the county you're in, but I would try that first.

Kevin Doe
03-25-2008, 09:13 AM
Do you have the plat, of the property? That should be all you need. I don't know if you can get one from the county you're in, but I would try that first.

I have no idea what a plat of the property is. There is a map of the property lines on teh auditors website, but there are no measurements on it.

Kevin Doe
03-25-2008, 09:14 AM
Call Landsdale surveying. We send everyone to them when they call us for this type of surveying. We do construction staking in support of our engineering, we are too big to make money on that type of stuff. Landsdale might charge $300~500 total, we can't even get our crews out there and back for that, let alone do any courthouse research or office work with the research.

$300-$500 to tell me where my property line is to put up a residentail fence? That seems outrageous.

IWRBB
03-25-2008, 10:38 AM
$300-$500 to tell me where my property line is to put up a residentail fence? That seems outrageous.

If you lot is already pinned, it may be cheaper, they can come out with a metal detector and paint them up. That's not typical though, I'd say less than 25% of lots are pinned on all corners. If it is pinned, you can usally find them yourself and not pay anyone. My lot is pinned, I found most of them by hand, our crews stopped by with a detector and found the others.

Assuming your lot has no iron pins though, it may seem like a lot of money, but it's really a pittance for all the work required. If you tried to run a business setting those pins for less than that, you'd be broke in a damn hurry. Like I said, we can't make money on it, so we won't do it, even for $1000. Our 2 man field crews bill out at over $100 an hour and the surveyor in the office is close to $100 an hour.

To do it right, the first thing you need to go to the county courthouse and get any information needed to tie down your lot. Usually that's just the record plat for the subdivision. To get that piece of paper in hand, you have to first have to go online and figure out what subdivision you are looking for, then pay someone mileage to drive to the Hamilton County courthouse, compensate their parking, pay for any copies at the courthouse, and on top of all that pay their salary and benefits.

Next, a surveyor has to spend some time looking at the plat, seeing where the monumentation was supposed to have been set and preparing field crews to go out and locate that monumentation and establish control. Once they establish control in the subdivision based on the record plat, benchmark, and any existing monumentation in the field, they can layout your lot and set the pins. That's assuming everything was correct on the plat. There could be errors on the plat that the surveyor would have to spend even more time to resolve. For the field crews, consider the drive time, vehicle purchase and maintenance costs, fuel and insurance costs, surveying equipment costs, material costs (PK nails, spray paint and iron pins aren't free) and finally the salarly and any additional overhead costs (healthcare, etc).

Those are all just costs. Add in profit to all that, there's no point in doing all that work for no profit.

Also, don't forget to consider the additional liability they take on when those pins get set. What happens when they are wrong and your fence is on your neighbors property? You sue them for a new fence. What if they really aren't wrong and you just built it in the wrong spot? You can still sue them and take up their time fighting it. Those costs have to be considered as well.

I'd say $500 is a good deal.

jaystang44
03-25-2008, 10:47 AM
I used to work for a survyer who lives right on rybolt Rd....you can try him hes a smaller more mom and pop type of survyer.....which it looks like thats what you need...he's a great guy and does great work....couldnt tell you how much..

the company name is Heyl Surveyors
4200 Rybolt Road, Cincinnati, OH 45248
513) 574-4140

give him a call and I guess you can say I reconmended you maybe get it cheaper but i would say he would do it right and for a fair price.....my name is Justin Freeman

When I worked for him we did a lot of residental stuff for property lines and fences and stuff like that just give him a call and see what he says...

Kevin Doe
03-25-2008, 01:40 PM
Blah blah blah blah....I'd say $500 is a good deal.

Have fun with that. I don't feel like paying for a guys trip to the Argosy, the big mac he has after he leaves, or the cigarettes he smokes during the job. I want to pay a surveory to survey. I'm sure I can find somone to do it as a side job for far less than $500.

When I weld for people as a side job, I don't ask them to pay for my wife to go to the dentist, I just ask for a fair amount of money for my time and materials.

Kevin Doe
03-25-2008, 01:42 PM
the company name is Heyl Surveyors
4200 Rybolt Road, Cincinnati, OH 45248
(513) 574-4140

I'll give them a try, thanks.

jaystang44
03-25-2008, 01:50 PM
hope he can help you out...let me know what he says if you dont mind...and how much, I always wounder how much he gets when I was bustin my ass for him ;)

Good luck

IWRBB
03-25-2008, 03:27 PM
Have fun with that. I don't feel like paying for a guys trip to the Argosy, the big mac he has after he leaves, or the cigarettes he smokes during the job. I want to pay a surveory to survey. I'm sure I can find somone to do it as a side job for far less than $500.

When I weld for people as a side job, I don't ask them to pay for my wife to go to the dentist, I just ask for a fair amount of money for my time and materials.

Whatever, good luck with your survey then. Make sure you stay on your property LOL.

Black Hole
03-25-2008, 06:47 PM
I did mine myself....found 2 pins in the back (only one was a corner of my lot) and was able to do everything else myself with a printout of the neighborhood plat and a borrowed surveyors metal-detector-thingy. :lol:

I didn't have any problem getting the plans approved downtown. :D

PaulFiveOh
03-25-2008, 06:52 PM
So to a noob like my self, can you guys explain what these underground pylon thingys are that mark property...?

Black Hole
03-25-2008, 07:32 PM
In my case, it's a 3' piece of rebar that's driven into the ground at the corner of the property where it's just barely burried or just an inch or two sticks up out of the ground and possibly covered by an orange top. Mine stick out and just have the top painted orange, but it's back in the woods.

Out in the street, they'll usually just put a nail, but that gets eaten up when they repave the street, so if you're on a busy road it may not be there (mine aren't).

PaulFiveOh
03-25-2008, 07:49 PM
Hmm...weird. So all properties have these things?

mach_u
03-26-2008, 07:52 AM

That's not typical though, I'd say less than 25% of lots are pinned on all corners.

:bigthumb

jaystang44
03-26-2008, 09:51 AM

it all depends some times we marked drains pretty much anything that is perminent we could mark or like black hole said we would drive rebar in the ground and put orange/pink tape on it and capped it off with the companys surveying cap.....now over time the rebar gets barried of dug up or what ever but sometimes they would still be there....

Some companies use the caps some dont and its not always in the corners either....and I thought you had to be a licensed survior to get it approved...because if not everyone could do there own yard and you know how many arguements there would be on who property is whos :rolleyes:

but if you poke around your yard im sure you can fine them en less you have a really really old house that hasnt been survyed since it was build...then you might have problems because not only would it not be marked but ohio had the militaary come in and survy it way back when and they did a shitty job plus now we have better technology to make it more accurate and not be out ther with chains and messuring in chains and links :lol:LMAO

its better just to have a licnesed survior come out and do it exspecially if you are building a fence or addition to the house or driveway because if not and you end up on your neighbors yard you could have some major problems exspecially if your nieghbor is a dick....We ran into a lot of fights between neighbors and who was on whos properties along with those old ppl who thing they know where there property started and ended no matter what we said, gotta love the old folks :lol:

Mustang Momma
03-27-2008, 11:01 AM
Just get a copy of your survey and it will tell you where your property lines are. Have owned many homes and never used a surveyor to tell me something I can find out myself. Just mho

CincySR
03-27-2008, 12:15 PM
I also am a land surveryor, and I can tell you that most surveying companies will not touch this for under $400 thats if at all. Best thing I can tell you is to locate your corners. Which they are not always Iron Pins. Depending on age, and location, Iron pipes, mag/pk nails, drill holes, monuments, stones, a fence post, and even car axles are set to mark corners of properties. If you want it to be legally done right, then you need to have a survey done, but if you dont want to get the survey, find your corners if marked and stay atleast 1-2 feet away from the projected line, that will give you some area to make sure that your not over your line.

CincySR
03-27-2008, 12:18 PM
BTW, if you choose to get a survey done, I would suggest calling Abercrombie (out of colerain), Lansdale (out of milford) or H&M (out of amelia). Those places would be your best for lowest prices on this.

Once you find your corners, you should do your best to keep them marked.

jaystang44
03-27-2008, 12:40 PM
Once you find your corners, you should do your best to keep them marked.

+2 on that :bigthumb
why have to pay for something twice when after you get it done right the first time just make sure they for one, mark them good and two, keep them visable

Black Hole
03-27-2008, 06:54 PM
If you want it to be legally done right, then you need to have a survey done, but if you dont want to get the survey, find your corners if marked and stay atleast 1-2 feet away from the projected line, that will give you some area to make sure that your not over your line.
Are you saying that someone who is able to find the pins, submits accurate plans, and has them approved by the county zoning office isn't legal?

CincySR
03-27-2008, 10:00 PM
I'm not saying that isn't legal, but I'd be damn careful about doing it that way. Unfortunately, there is a lot more involved in resolving boundaries than the actual monumentation. Typically, the big winner in boundary is intent of the deed, but since Lawyers write the deeds, they do not always write them correctly compared to the surveyors work.

Take for instance: You decide to put up a fence, and you go out and find your corners. You build for fence and everything is fine for a year. Then your neighbor has a survey done, and they find your corners, but they also find other monumentation 5 feet past your fence. Trust me this happens quite often. So there is an overlay in the properties, so who's property line is where? Well, you have to go to the deeds. And I'll say your deed is older then his, due to the fact that he bought his lot after yours, but both original lots were formed at the same time. His deeds calls out the monumentation and such and the distances we're all formed correctly. And your deeds gives some distances, but also says, with Such and Such lines of whomever's land. So now where's the property line??? Well, based on intent of the deed, your lot line would be wherever his deed says his is, that is the intent of it saying with Such and Such line of this land.

That was just one example and trust me that example could go a lot of other ways. Boundary lines are formed by not only monumentation, but by occupation, squatter's rights, previous fencelines, neighboring owner's agreement of where the line is, and so on. It really isn't as simple as it all seems.

Rick93coupe
03-27-2008, 10:02 PM
Sell everything and move into an apartment.

facemelter71
03-28-2008, 10:19 AM
If im not mistaken Kevin lives in a fairly newish subdivision.Finding property lines shouldnt be to difficult.

CincySR
03-28-2008, 11:53 AM
If this is the case, then most likely his deed calls out "Being such lot number of such subdivision as shown on Such and such Plat of County records." Therefore if you want to see what your lots lines look like, you can go to your county court house/auditor's office and get a copy of the plat for a few bucks. If your deed calls out the plat book and page, then thats all you should need to help you find your basic corner. That will also help you locate your monumentation. Most of the time in subdivisions. You'll have your back corners pinned, R/W corners pinned and either centerline of road mag'd or spiked. I still caution you to build your fence with some space between it and where the monuments show your line. As a general rule, I would say a foot at the very least.

CincySR
03-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Also, try to get a verbal agreement with your neighbors where the boundary line falls. This will help cover you for future arguements about the boundary.

Kevin Doe
03-28-2008, 07:03 PM
My neighborhood is ~22 years old I believe. Its in Fairfield.

CincySR
03-29-2008, 12:56 AM
I'm not sure if thats Hamilton county or Butler county, but sometimes, you can pull the information up on the auditor's website for your county.

IWRBB
03-29-2008, 11:44 AM
It's Butler. Yes you can get dimensions from the auditor's website. They were probably put in by some 18 yr old co-op who could give a rats ass if it's right though. You use the auditor site to get the subdivision name and lot number. Then you get the recorded plat from the court house. The plat is what is on record, the online stuff means nothing. I've seen county GIS lines that are 5~8 ft off the real property lines.

mustang8998
03-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Kevin, didn't you get a plat, when you bought your house?

It looks like this:

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh283/mustang8998/Plat3.jpg

I would think that you could go by this, to help find your markers. Or at least, to measure off of the house, to find your lines.

Dirtyd0g
03-29-2008, 10:47 PM
the local zoning department will have your plot on file, you can get a copy from them.
Alan