PDA

View Full Version : Any Doberman owners?

93hulk
03-27-2008, 12:00 AM
Ive been wanting to get me a Red Dobie for a little while now. Im wanting more of a manly dog. Dont get me wrong we have a awesome Sheltie but shes more the wifes pet. I always had a dog i could take anywhere and Daisy just isnt the type of dog I feel I can do that with. Our vet and I were talking and he has known me for years and knows what i like in a dog. So he recemended for me to get a Doberman, Ive looked to them alot but Im still not sure how they get along with children and other pets. So any input would help.:bigthumb

Maximus
03-27-2008, 12:07 AM
I figured ya for a Black Lab kinda guy.:D
I had one when I was 13-15, "Trouble" was his name.
Dobeys need ALOT of room to run and are full of energy! Smart and great with families, maybe a bit too protective over families so be stern when training.
Post up some pics when ya get one.:bigthumb

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-27-2008, 01:12 AM
Awesome dogs...extremely smart and loyal...very protective of their family. They have bad hip problems when they get older though so maybe put that in the back of your mind that someday you may have to put him down because he can't walk anymore. Growing up my uncle had one and he was the coolest dog...scared the crap out of me though.

93hulk
03-27-2008, 04:16 PM
We went looking for dogs at the pet stores today. No luck on any Dobie pups. I guess Ill have to find a breeder.:(

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-27-2008, 05:11 PM
We went looking for dogs at the pet stores today. No luck on any Dobie pups. I guess Ill have to find a breeder.:(

That's your best bet anyways....and ask for blood line documentation and don't take shit from anyone. If you want a good temperament then a good bloodline is important. You don't want a dog that could potentially be inbreed and be mentally unstable...especially a dobie.

If you have the space, i'd also recommend a Great Dane. They're awesome dogs. Also very smart and loyal and they're actually not very aggressive unless you train them to be. They even make great apartment dogs believe it or not, but they need to be exercised.

snotzs135
03-27-2008, 05:35 PM
we had a dob growing up and she was awsome one of the best we ever had
i say go for it and good luck:bigthumb

ibstrokin
03-27-2008, 05:41 PM
I had a red dobie trot up to me at work today, I'm thinking "shit", here it goes. It didn't look aggresive, but it had a steady trot. I had my right hand on my knife, and left hand out to pet it. It never made a sound, and was happy to get attention. It ended up following me around and being a great dog. I was around it for about 30 min, and it never made a sound the entire time. It had a sweet gate/gallop to it.

Black Hole
03-27-2008, 06:59 PM
That's your best bet anyways....and ask for blood line documentation and don't take shit from anyone. If you want a good temperament then a good bloodline is important. You don't want a dog that could potentially be inbreed and be mentally unstable...especially a dobie.

If you have the space, i'd also recommend a Great Dane. They're awesome dogs. Also very smart and loyal and they're actually not very aggressive unless you train them to be. They even make great apartment dogs believe it or not, but they need to be exercised.

I agree....I just went through the same thing when we got our Mastiff back at Christmas. :bigthumb

Dipstick
03-28-2008, 12:26 AM
I own a red dobergirl and I have 2 male great danes right now my dobie is 7 and my danes are 3 and 1. I can answer any questions about both breeds. My 3 year old Dane is 6'2" tall on his hind legs.

Here are some pics of them.

The first and second pics are of her now the third is of our 1 year old dane and the 4th is of when I first got her. The 3 year old dane is in my signature. If you would like to meet the danes or the dobie I can arrange to meet you somewhere. They do alot of public work.

93hulk
03-28-2008, 12:50 AM
Nice dogs. Thanks for the invite. Im sure i will have plenty of questions.:)

Paul408Notch
03-28-2008, 07:18 AM
Careful, dobies will eat your couch.

Dipstick
03-28-2008, 10:41 AM
Shit dobies will eat your couch freakiing danes will pull the whole front part off and leave it laying so you trip over it when you come in the front door.

By the way here are some breed specific rescues you should look into.

www.hhdane.com they are in bethel, ohio so not too far from the natti.

www.swohiodoberescue.org also known as Payton's Place.

www.handmedowndobes.org

my 2 danes came from harlequin haven and my dobie came from hand me down.

all 3 are good dogs.

If ya want a manly dog I would go with a great dane. Easy to train very gentle with kids, and you can walk them and people will cross the street to get away from you lol.

RIXXX93GT
03-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Dobes are excellent family pets. Do yourself a huge favor and stay out of the pet stores. DO allot of searching and find owners and the breeders they recommend not breeders that recommend themselves. Breeding for temperment and health is key. It may cost more and require some home work but this is a friend you will have for years to come. I have three co-workers that are absolute fanatics about Dobermans. They all know great breeders and I can ask them for info if you like. Be prepared to train it well as a pup. Dobermans are too large and muscular to be confused about their place in the "pack", proper owner attitude and training will get you a great addition to the family!

Pyro50
03-28-2008, 06:39 PM
Dobes are great dogs. I had one years ago. However, they are VERY head strong. I recommend a good breeder and obedience training. Mine also ate my couch. LOL. James and I have Boxers as you can see from my avatar. That is one of two that we have. Great dogs and very easy to train. They are great with kids and people, yet look intimidating and are very loyal.

93hulk
03-29-2008, 01:16 AM
Dobes are excellent family pets. Do yourself a huge favor and stay out of the pet stores. DO allot of searching and find owners and the breeders they recommend not breeders that recommend themselves. Breeding for temperment and health is key. It may cost more and require some home work but this is a friend you will have for years to come. I have three co-workers that are absolute fanatics about Dobermans. They all know great breeders and I can ask them for info if you like. Be prepared to train it well as a pup. Dobermans are too large and muscular to be confused about their place in the "pack", proper owner attitude and training will get you a great addition to the family!

I would realy like some info on thse breeders if you dont mind.:bigthumb

MFIELD
03-29-2008, 09:27 AM
My mom has a red dobie now and it is the greatest dog. We always had retrievers growing up and she was against getting the dobie. Now you cant seperate them. They have a very unique personality. She is very good with my son and loves to play. I dont think she has chewed the couch but she loves to get the pillows and hold them in her mouth.

RIXXX93GT
03-29-2008, 09:56 AM
I would realy like some info on thse breeders if you dont mind.:bigthumb

Ill post info on Monday.

RIXXX93GT
03-31-2008, 09:47 AM
As promised. Check this guy out he is in your area. Someone I know buys from this breeder and highly recommends them.

www.kaywooddobes.com

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-31-2008, 02:06 PM
Man i'd have a hard time choosing between the black and tan or brown and tan. I love'em both.

RIXXX93GT
03-31-2008, 04:07 PM
Man i'd have a hard time choosing between the black and tan or brown and tan. I love'em both.

Then go with a red.