PDA

View Full Version : Need some rims sandblasted...i need a PRO

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-27-2008, 01:21 AM
Well i've given up on chemical stripping these rims. I've probably spent $50 or more on stripper and i'm to the point where i'm ready to say screw it and get them blasted, and just paint the centers. Now the catch is that the person who's gonna blast them can NOT touch the lips, because they'll be polished and the blasting would screw them up. So, i'm looking for someone who can blast the center of these rims clean, while not putting a single scratch on the lips....or is that even possible?

Here's what you'll be facing:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee275/EVIL85SSP/Merkur%20Pics%20and%20Videos/lipdifference.jpg

That's probably the worst rim, the others are more like this:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee275/EVIL85SSP/Merkur%20Pics%20and%20Videos/P2290004.jpg

I can't stress enough how i do not want the lips damaged. I don't know if there's a tape that's strong enough to mask them off....i thought about even getting a thin strip of sheetmetal and wrapping it up in a circle and wedging it down between where the face and the lip meet, and maybe that would keep sand from getting on the lips.

If there is ANY chance in preserving the texture of the face while still blasting the paint off, i'd like that also. Under the paint/powdercoat is a really cool machined surface which is what i was trying to save by chemical stripping them, but if that' can't be saved then i'll just paint them.

Anybody?

PaulFiveOh
03-27-2008, 07:14 AM
Gemballa996t on here runs a media blasting booth, he may be able to get something setup....

I'll tell him to get ahold of you.

mustangboy
03-27-2008, 08:10 AM
Using the correct blasting material should not harm the rim.

mustang3091
03-27-2008, 11:41 AM
I had a set of those wheels and i did the same thing to them .One thing i did was put 2 real wet coats of the striper on them and go to the cash wash and blast it off but make sure no cars are around including yours gecause the striper flys every where and make sure you wear some glasses so it dont get in your eyes.This worked very well on my wheels and they turned out very nice you may have to sand a few spot but they will look great.

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-27-2008, 11:48 AM
Man i've tried everything. That "aircraft" stripper didn't even soften this shit. I've bought 3 different kinds of industrial grade stripper and none of it works. The only thing that's got me this far is that Permatex gasket remover, but down inside those spokes is the part that's not coming off. The metal in there is rougher from the casting and the powdercoat is just stuck on so hard in those spots. As of right now i've bought out everybody local who sells that stuff so i hope nobody needs to remove stuck on gaskets anywhere around Amelia/Beechmont/Eastgate :lol:

HARCracing
03-27-2008, 12:37 PM
I talked to someone who did this to thier 10 holes. They used the aircraft paint stripper stuff and then they put the wheels in a plastic bag and placed it in the sun for a while to heat them up real good. If we ever get any sun you could try it if you haven't yet.

Rick93coupe
03-27-2008, 12:45 PM
I used to work for a sandblasting shop and guys would come in with parts masked off with masking tape, which just wont get the job done. 2 to 3 layers of duck tape will cover the majority pretty well, but the material will start to eat up the edges of the tape pretty fast. I stop by there from time to time and now they have a cabinet that is filled with plastic media, that might actually do ok, but its time consuming and tedious work. That would be the only media I would try and use. Oxide or silica is going to kill the finish on the lip.

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-27-2008, 12:50 PM
I used to work for a sandblasting shop and guys would come in with parts masked off with masking tape, which just wont get the job done. 2 to 3 layers of duck tape will cover the majority pretty well, but the material will start to eat up the edges of the tape pretty fast. I stop by there from time to time and now they have a cabinet that is filled with plastic media, that might actually do ok, but its time consuming and tedious work. That would be the only media I would try and use. Oxide or silica is going to kill the finish on the lip.

That's what i'm afraid of. I've used the paint stripper on a set of 10 holes myself and it worked good, and that paint was actual car paint, but this 20 year old powdercoat is tough stuff. I guess i can keep plugging away with this gasket remover once one of the stores that stocks it gets it back in stock. I've only found it at Advanced and Pepboys and they still don't have it back in stock.

mustangboy
03-27-2008, 01:04 PM
Here is some stuff Eastwood sells for powder coat. Maybe someone local has this stuff too.http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=16496&itemType=PRODUCT

k062693w
03-27-2008, 01:28 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to have them blasted and then re-polish the lip???
I polished my tenholes myself, it takes time but is not that hard

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-27-2008, 01:34 PM
I've never had any luck polishing anything that wasn't originally polished, plus i just don't have that kind of time or the money to pay someone to do it. As they are right now it's just dirty and tarnish and i can polish that off pretty easily but once it's pitted and scratched i can't seem to make it any better.

Rick93coupe
03-27-2008, 08:00 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to have them blasted and then re-polish the lip???
I polished my tenholes myself, it takes time but is not that hard

What would you charge him to polish them back after they were blasted? Obviously you got that task whipped!

wes 89 gt
03-28-2008, 03:35 PM
hey i dont know how much they charge but there is a shop on ferris road off of bach buxton in amelia.

wes 89 gt
03-28-2008, 03:42 PM
yea here is the website. one of my dads friends took a set of wheels there and said they did a great job. http://www.tristatefabricators.com/

bobtsgt
03-28-2008, 05:06 PM
tristate did some fab work for us at work. They have a pretty decent building. It sits off the road though so look for the sign.

mustang8998
03-28-2008, 08:10 PM

That plastic media would work great. The company next to our garage, manufactures the media. They blasted an older corvette with this stuff and left the chrome and glass exposed. No damage to the good stuff. I can probably get some of this, if you can find someone to blast it for you. They used to do some blasting there, but I don't know if they still do.

I'll ask next week.

KB1
03-31-2008, 02:53 PM
Call WHAT A BLAST! INC. 553-7632 ask for Doug. He is out of New Richmond.
www.whatablastinc.net check them out he did a whole car for us with SODA it looked awesome:bigthumb

INSANEBA
04-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Man, give those b!tches to me lol. I'll blast the whole rims, then polish those lips out to a mirror finish for ya! I also work cheap, even for mustang parts if you have anything I may need. Check out my website, it's still being worked on but you can see some of my work and get a general idea. My personal bike is the Jack Daniels gsxr on there. I do mostly bike frames, wheels, and swingarms but I also do all of my stuff. I'm actually doing fastnotch2002's 04 R1 right now. He's getting the whole works....Let me know if I can help a brother out...

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Man, give those b!tches to me lol. I'll blast the whole rims, then polish those lips out to a mirror finish for ya! I also work cheap, even for mustang parts if you have anything I may need. Check out my website, it's still being worked on but you can see some of my work and get a general idea. My personal bike is the Jack Daniels gsxr on there. I do mostly bike frames, wheels, and swingarms but I also do all of my stuff. I'm actually doing fastnotch2002's 04 R1 right now. He's getting the whole works....Let me know if I can help a brother out...

PM me or give me a call... 513-377-4308

David