PDA

View Full Version : any one know about oil pumps?

rsmurf04
03-27-2008, 01:01 PM
If my oil pump is starting to go out, what will happen? Or when they go do they just go? Or will I be able to tell that it is going out before it does?

fst 5pto
03-27-2008, 02:07 PM
Keep a close eye on your oil pressure gauge (if you have one that is accurate). If it fluctuates or runs low, make sure you have enough oil. If all else is good, I would say a faulty oil pump is possible.

ibstrokin
03-27-2008, 05:49 PM
Can be either way (unlikely to wear out though), I had a small piece of metal get into an oil pump years ago, it locked up, then broke the oil pump driveshaft, oil pressure dropped instantly. But they aren't metal to metal, there are a lot of variables, including bearings. You can put a cheap autozone gauge on it to monitor it more closely.

rsmurf04
03-27-2008, 09:29 PM
when it first starts up everything is good but after about 10 minutes when at low rpm's the oil pressure will drop to nothing but if I hit the gas it jumps back up or if I'm driving on the highway at low rpm's it drops and if I hit the gas and gain rpm's it go's up so whats up anyone? I just changed the oil myself and put 5 quarts in there I know there is enough oil.

Rick93coupe
03-27-2008, 09:59 PM
If your using the stock gauge/sending unit, its not accurate. I had a sending unit show my car had good oil pressure until I hit the gas, then it would drop to nothing when it rev'd. Are you lifters clacking like crazy? My guess is the sending unit is bad.

rsmurf04
03-27-2008, 10:31 PM
ya I can hear a chattering noise and shit

ibstrokin
03-27-2008, 10:44 PM
Put a gauge on it, then you will have factual info, it's cheap and easy.

rsmurf04
03-27-2008, 11:13 PM
I'm thinking its my sending unit I've been on a couple of mustang web sites and every one is saying the same thing I am and they changed their sending unit and everything is good. So I'm going to do the same thing and hopefully everything works out for me. I just plugged the wire on nice and tight the other day when I was putting all back together so I know its not the wire I don't have much money till Tuesday so I'm going to see how much the sending unit is from advance auto parts and it will probably dirt cheap so I can hopefully change the sending unit tomorrow and the gauge on tuesday

facemelter71
03-28-2008, 10:28 AM
My 86 had rubbed the oil sender wire on the valve cover or intake and caused a short to ground and pegged the needle all the way down past the red.I was driving down 275 by colerain.I shut that thing down so fast that the guy behind me almost smashed my bumper.Check the wire and wiring then go buy an autometer mechanical.

rsmurf04
03-28-2008, 10:55 AM
I'm not being rude so sorry if sounds like I am but I just called autozone and they have a sending unit for like 10 bucks so I'm going to replace it today and if that doesn't solve my problem then I will check the wire. Now the wire is kinda old and twisted up so I will probably just splice in a new wire and connector if that doesn't work then I don't know. I don't care how accurate my gauge is right now I want all the noises to stop!

facemelter71
03-28-2008, 11:10 AM
Sorry man,but if it's noisy,your replacing an oil pump.And i would do it now.

rsmurf04
03-28-2008, 01:14 PM
word I just changed the sending unit and it made it worse now when I hit the gas the gauge go's to 0 and when I let off the gas it go's back up, I'm getting really pissed off at this point and still fucking noisy and when I come to a stop it wants to stall out on me and I hear a squeeky noise if it drops below 1000 rpm's like metal on metal type noise. This sucks I'm probably just going to replace the engine and say forget it!

fst 5pto
03-28-2008, 02:12 PM
I would definteley not drive the car if you are hearing metal on metal. I would look into replacing the oil pump promptly. It can be done with the motor in the car but it is not easy....

89notch
03-28-2008, 02:15 PM
If you can hear metal on metal then your way passed just replacing the oil pump

rsmurf04
03-28-2008, 02:42 PM
ya I just talked to Andy Law at outlaw motor sports and he said it might be the pick up tube is clogged but I think I'm going to replace the motor and use this one to build up. anyone have an extra 5.0 that runs?

rsmurf04
03-28-2008, 03:11 PM
I just went out to move this fucking thing and now it won't start probably the silenoid but who fucking knows I'm so pissed offfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHO WANTS TO BUY A 1988 Mustang LX it runs not well but won't start for whatever reason I'm sick of this car.

Timido
03-28-2008, 09:09 PM
I probably finally locked up

rsmurf04
03-28-2008, 11:09 PM
no its not the engine that won't start its something electrical I know that for a fact! its either the starter relay or the terminals on the battery. The plastic thing under the battery is fucked up so the battery pulls on the terminal wires a little bit and the wires are kinda old the connectors are newer but I just need to cut the wires off a little bit replace the connectors and the starting relay you know the little thing that is on the driver side inner fender that both the battery wires go to. I have like 3 cars with 302's and all three of them went out. I've got the shittiest luck on the planet! I know this for a fact! that starter relay is just clicking I can hear it clearly

347sc
03-29-2008, 01:16 AM
Relay will click but the starter wont turn if the motor is locked up.I know that for a fact.Not saying its locked up just saying just because you hear a click doesnt mean the starters bad.
Drain some oil and look for metal.

rsmurf04
03-29-2008, 01:44 AM
the metal on metal sound I hear isn't while the car is running just as it shuts off for like 1.2 seconds you can a wer wer wer. Its not all the time either maybe 1 out of six times

rsmurf04
03-29-2008, 01:45 AM
trust me I know FOR A FACT THAT ITS MY SOLENOID!!!!!! its the original one just like all the hoses and everything else who ever owned this must have just let it sit in the garage I got it out of when I bought it for a while or something I just replaced the starter like 6 months ago and I all ready checked that with my test light its not get juice, because the solenoid is fucked plus my drive way is a hill and it push starts just fine

rsmurf04
03-30-2008, 12:53 AM
I'm thinking about putting a 351 in this piece? anyone's thoughts? everyone has to be so negative on here. It sounded like everyone wanted my engine to be locked up. Whats up with that?

Timido
03-30-2008, 09:36 AM
The only way to know for sure if you have a oil pressure problem is to hook up a good mechanical oil pressure guage and get the readings cold and then hot. If it is just a little low change the oil with some 10-40 and see if the oil pressure is better. You tell us that you have been driving it with the lifters clattering and making metal to metal sounds and the oil pressure is low. Then you say it clicks and wont start. Sounds like a serious engine problem. I like the idea of 351 motors throw a 408 kit in it and tear up the town.

rsmurf04
03-30-2008, 11:06 AM
The engine is still good I just replaced the starter relay all is good it starts right up now! Now I'm still going to replace the engine with a 351 maybe or I might get this explorer block that was just freshened up

rsmurf04
03-30-2008, 11:15 AM
I just did an oil change and used like a quarter bottle of that Lucas oil stabilizer and 10w40

rsmurf04
04-06-2008, 06:40 PM
So I took my engine out and took it apart the whole thing and nothing looks wrong lifters are fine, heads look fine, looking up through the oil pan (crank) all good and when I spin the crank no metal on metal!!! But how do I know if it the oil pump? what draws the oil from that screen on the pick up tube? The pump right? so is the pump the thing that bolts to the block? how much are those?

347sc
04-06-2008, 06:55 PM
You didnt check the bearings?

ibstrokin
04-06-2008, 07:19 PM
So I assume you never hooked up a oil pressure gauge.

rsmurf04
04-06-2008, 07:25 PM
no but I don't see how that will make my car stop making noises and and wanting to stall out. all the gauge will tell me is what I already know

rsmurf04
04-06-2008, 07:26 PM
some one call me and let me talk you through what I'm seeing ryan 513-376-4482

Rick93coupe
04-06-2008, 07:38 PM
no but I don't see how that will make my car stop making noises and and wanting to stall out. all the gauge will tell me is what I already know

Here's the problem as I see it. You asked a forum about a problem. EVERYONE said to put a "real" gauge on it and see what the actual oil pressure is. The damn gauge on the dash is a worthless piece of shit. It might as well be a light on the dash that says " yes you have some oil pressure "! Now you've got the engine out of the car and still don't have a clue whether or not the pump is the problem. Now the only thing you can do is replace the thing that goes to the block and put it back in and see if the problem is fixed. If not, boy what a huge waste of time. If your smart, you'll pull the main caps and the rod caps off and inspect the bearings, long before you replace the pump and put it back together. They're not supposed to look like copper, they're supposed to look like aluminum.

ibstrokin
04-06-2008, 07:42 PM
A gauge would have told you what kind of shape your bearings/pump were in. Depending on that info, you could have made an informed decision on whether or not to take your engine apart. Maybe you did the right thing by taking it apart. But you skipped a key part in engine troubleshooting, which could have cost you considerable time and money. Good Luck

rsmurf04
04-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Here's the problem as I see it. You asked a forum about a problem. EVERYONE said to put a "real" gauge on it and see what the actual oil pressure is. The damn gauge on the dash is a worthless piece of shit. It might as well be a light on the dash that says " yes you have some oil pressure "! Now you've got the engine out of the car and still don't have a clue whether or not the pump is the problem. Now the only thing you can do is replace the thing that goes to the block and put it back in and see if the problem is fixed. If not, boy what a huge waste of time. If your smart, you'll pull the main caps and the rod caps off and inspect the bearings, long before you replace the pump and put it back together. They're not supposed to look like copper, they're supposed to look like aluminum.

that was the point of taking out the engine was to see if I spun a bearing but next time you want to get attitude go to some one else forum fag

Rick93coupe
04-06-2008, 08:23 PM
lol, good luck with the thingy that bolts to the block.

rsmurf04
04-06-2008, 08:25 PM
A gauge would have told you what kind of shape your bearings/pump were in. Depending on that info, you could have made an informed decision on whether or not to take your engine apart. Maybe you did the right thing by taking it apart. But you skipped a key part in engine troubleshooting, which could have cost you considerable time and money. Good Luck

just so everyone knows that wasn't the only reason I took my engine out!!! If you must know I'm putting all new gaskets on it and its easier for me to take the engine out and put it on an engine stand to work on. I thank you for all your help and maybe I did do somethings wrong but thats why they say trial by error

rsmurf04
04-06-2008, 08:27 PM
lol, good luck with the thingy that bolts to the block.

what thingy are you talking about?

facemelter71
04-07-2008, 10:26 AM
Since you called him a fag he was makin fun of you.No one is here to yell at you,we all made calculated decisions based on what you told us.You didnt tell us much to begin with,that you engine was makin noise and that you were low on oil psi.That would lead everyone in here to think that your oil pump is gone.The next to follow the oil pump is your engine.Based on what you told us,thats the only answer that we have.You cant get mad at us for tryin to help you with only limited information.The very first thing that you should do is get a good mechanical gauge for all your engine vitals.Thats #1 in any mustang.

rsmurf04
04-07-2008, 11:50 PM
hey look guys I've got a lot of shit going on in my life right now and I know thats not an excuse but I appreciate all the info and you all were right I should have just got a damn gauge but now I know and the only good thing about me taking the motor apart is I found out I did spin a bearing! So luckily it wasn't a total waste of time. I'm sorry for calling you a fag I just get frustrated at this car!! Andy Law at outlaw motor sports has a couple of engines for sale so he's cutting me a deal and I'm just going to drop that in there to get it running again and use my old motor to build a 347str. So I have a 1990 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 for sale 600$ call ryan 513-376-4482

Rick93coupe
04-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Its alright, I was wearing my big boy pants that night, so it didn't hurt my feelings.:D

rsmurf04
04-12-2008, 02:07 PM
i got a new motor