PDA

View Full Version : Media Blasters

Sparky
03-28-2008, 11:14 PM
Does anyone know of any shops in the Cincy/Dayton area that soda blasts/media blasts... and specializes in cars?

candyman
03-29-2008, 02:21 AM
try doug justice @ 513-553-7632,.. he does soda blast. he comes to you..

PaulFiveOh
03-29-2008, 07:59 AM
What is Soda Blasting compared to media blasting?

MFIELD
03-29-2008, 09:32 AM
it uses Pepsi :lol:

347sc
03-29-2008, 10:56 AM
It uses a soda media,can be done outside at you home.It also can safely be washed away. Doesnt warp or stress the metal like some sand media can.

Sparky there are a few. I found them for a friend of mine. Used Yahoo

shep
03-30-2008, 03:45 PM
walnut shells are good for taking off paint also...there is a place of rt 128 by the old fernald plant that i believe does it. i know he does acid dipping and stuff, but im pretty sure he does media blasting

PonymanfiveO
03-31-2008, 01:12 AM
Ive herd horror stories of adhesion problems after soda blasting.

Any truth to this???

PonymanfiveO
03-31-2008, 01:18 AM
did a little search....

Soda (same as baking soda) does a great job of blasting off paint and residue and is much more forgiving than sand. I've used it on body panels with very good success. One benefit to soda blasting is that it leaves a residue on the bare metal that helps to prevent flash rusting (since soda is an alkali vs an acid). The downside is that you have to thoroughly clean the objects for painting or you will have adhesion problems. I think I've heard that some painters won't even paint object that have been soda blasted but I think that going overboard. I have not had any problems. I just make sure to thouroughly clean before painting-which is what you would normally do anyway to remove grease,wax etc.

Sparky
03-31-2008, 10:59 PM
I had a mobile guy come do a chevelle for me and it left the metal as smooth as a fresh stamping. The downside is it only takes paint off. It won't remove rust. Thats why I 'm looking for someone that does both soda and media. As far as adhesion, I metal prepped and D/A'd everything. The soda guys sell it to make it sound like all you have to do is spray epoxy primer over the metal and go. I use etch primer so I go by a completely different set of rules (chemical bond versus mechanical bond). I do a thorough cleaning with metal prep, solvent, and prep wheel ( not necessarily in that order). My boss hates soda blasting because he says its impossible to blow all the leftovers out of the inner panels. In my case the cars are stripped of all their hiding places so I don't worry about it. Plus, the soda dissolves/neutralizes with water. So, give it a good blowout with air and then a wash and you should be good to go.

BTW thanks for all the input guys!

Moremph
04-04-2008, 05:33 PM
I talked to a guy in Maysville KY that does sand blasting the other day for $75 and hour

Maysville Monument

Travis

Demented5oh
04-21-2008, 09:36 PM
how bout dipping a whole car? I want to get my 86 t-top coupe dipped so i can start fresh. Only thing that worries me is that the t-top frame is aluminum i believe. Wonder if acid dipping would hurt it??