PDA

View Full Version : Time moves on, and the days of the original muscle cars are fading,

1slow5.O
04-02-2008, 12:07 PM
Well bored out of my mind yesturday at work. I read every magazine we had and came across an interesting article in a Mopar Magazine.

I can't really recall the Topic of the article but basicly it was being written about the editor and his new grandson.

He started talking about how when he was 16 and of course the Camaros, Mustangs, Daytonas, Chevelles . The monster machines in that time which are pure classics these days. When it donned on him that when todays generation... Even i suppose my generation, (21yrs old) When were 55 what kinda of cars are we going to be able to look back at and say "damn remember whens those 1st came out and now there worth 3 times that" or simple just swapping stories of rare cars you had when you were a kid that are impossible to find now. I just don't see it.

With every car being mass produced, It's hard to wonder if anything will hold its value? American Muscle has by far been the key holder of the collector car, (I love the kids who dump 20G's into a honda and think its going to hold its value) , But were in America so i wouldn't expect anything less.

But i was just curious whats going to bring the big bucks in 30-35 years I wonder?

Dodge Challenger or the new GTOs? I would imagine the new Shelby Gts would hold some value

But its just hard to wonder.

Guess all in all, It comes down to the ole' saying "They sure don't make them like they used too"

Xuzhu
04-02-2008, 12:13 PM
It should be pretty simple to figure out. Anything with a high price tag now and lower production numbers will be worth something, assuming we still have gas stations :D Anything with a Shelby nametag (I think the CS6 might be a rare find 30 years from now) the Zo6/ZR1, GTO's won't be worth anything sadly, they aren't even popular now lol. Ford GT, any Viper, well kept Lightnings, and so on. It's hard to think right now with my sinus problems ><

BigBadStang
04-02-2008, 12:14 PM
There are plenty of "limited production" cars/trucks that could bring big money 30 years from now! You never know what the future holds. They didn't build the old muscle cars with 30 years later in mind, they built them for a purpose and in the "now". It's whatever the market dictates. Sadly, maybe that Honda will bring big money...look at all the kids that love that crap now...they will be the buyers of old cars in 30 years.

mustangboy
04-02-2008, 12:16 PM
"They sure don't make them like they used too

No they make them a whole lot better.

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Don't be surprised when the next car restoration craze is about imports.

Xuzhu
04-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Don't be surprised when the next car restoration craze is about imports.

What imports? Civics, camrys? no way in hell. And if you go for the fancy imports that really are nice today, resto price would just be way too outrageous.

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-02-2008, 01:52 PM
They said the same thing about the old 32 Fords. Back then they were the same throw away cars that Civics are today. Cars today are made mostly out of plastic...reproduction parts would be extremely easy and cheap to mass produce. The generation today who lusts over imports is going to go through the same "i wish i had that car i had back then" thing that muscle car guys go through, and 20-30 years from now the price of a '90s Civic is going to be outrageous.

Xuzhu
04-02-2008, 02:05 PM
But a 32 Ford looks really cool, where a Civic looks like a boring ass car. I could see people going for a WRX or and Evo, and the Nissan Z cars, but a Civic is a turd now and will be still in 30 years.

If I start seeing restored Chevettes here in a few years though, I might have to believe you on the Civics haha.

IWRBB
04-02-2008, 02:13 PM
In 25-30 years? I think restored 5-speed 5.0L Mustangs from 79-93 will be worth damn good money. 93 Cobras, SVOs and 03-04 Cobras will go for even more. 93R,95R, and 00R models will be off the charts. It'll be one of those, "You could buy a 2000 Cobra R in back in 2008 for only $40,000? Now they are worth $4 million!" All of the Lightnings will be worth good money too.

The GT500? I dunno, there will be way more GT500s than the 03-04 Cobras by the time they get done, if not already. The GT500's future value all depends on if the young guys will continue to swing from CS' nuts like the old guys do. I could care less about the name "Shelby" on a car, so I won't be driving up the price in 30 years. The GT500 is not a huge performance jump (if any) from it's predecessor either. Then there's Knight Rider, we'll see if that helps it or hurts it. The new Knight Rider was picked up as a series now BTW.

Non Fords? 4th gen Iroc/Cambirds with the 350/t-tops, Grand Nationals, Monte Carlo SSs, Turbo Regals, Turbo TAs, Z06 and ZR1 Vettes, all Vipers, and turbo Supras.

None of the cars I listed were ultra low production cars except for the R model Mustangs, but I think mint condition examples of any of them will command big money.

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-02-2008, 02:58 PM
But a 32 Ford looks really cool, where a Civic looks like a boring ass car. I could see people going for a WRX or and Evo, and the Nissan Z cars, but a Civic is a turd now and will be still in 30 years.

If I start seeing restored Chevettes here in a few years though, I might have to believe you on the Civics haha.

You should head out to Mt. Orab and hang out with some of the dirt track guys....Chevettes are worth their weight in gold anymore because they're light and RWD. People are buying them up like crazy and they're actually getting really hard to find.

Gene
04-02-2008, 03:15 PM
The valuable cars in 30 years will be the cars that the 45-60 year old guys lusted for when they were kids.

Porsche turbos, Mustangs, F-bodies, Corvettes, etc will be big. But don't be surprised when cars like Civic Sis, Intergra Type Rs, Eclipse GSXs, etc bring serious money as well. Remember, the Civic Si is to today's cars like a Nova SS is to the late 60s...a hot engine in a pedestrian sedan. It might look boring to you, but to a lot of the car enthusiasts out there it looks good and brings back memories of the cars they drove when in high school/college.

Classic Japanese cars are already coming up in value. I won't be surprised if Gen 3 and (especially) Gen 4 Supras command serious money in the future. Same for Mazda RX-7s.

I can remember when I was ten years old, in 1989...muscle cars were only about 20-25 years old, and people were already lavishing expensive restorations on them. I remember my dad selling his 1970 Boss 302 in 1990 at the height of the first muscle car boom...it was only 20 years old. Hell, the 1988 Mustang GT and 1988 Alfa Romeo languishing in my driveway are 20 years old now. My Porsche is 25, and my 1967 Alfa Romeo is now 41.

I find it kind of funny that lately, in my eBay perusals, that I have been looking at restored early 80s 2.5 litre Supras or 323i BMWs, with the same kind of interest as I would a 240Z or a 2002ti.

cobra_SVT_Girl
04-02-2008, 03:23 PM
Interesting topic. Everything is massed produced now a days.. I would say some of the limited production cars might be worth something but I would be surprised to see anything like the 60's unless it is a car with 100 miles on it.
However the Grand National GNX is bringing some mighty big dollars!! I would have to say that is probably the only car since the 80's that has went up significantly in value based on the sticker price.

facemelter71
04-02-2008, 03:48 PM
I could possibly see some Honda's bring in some cash later in years.But one thing that will hurt them,is the hack job these kids are doing to these poor cars with terrible swaps and cutting and bondo and crap interior.Then even in later years,whos gonna want a stock honda civic SI with a pep boys stick on "R" emblem on the back??

mustang8998
04-02-2008, 05:40 PM
So, I should have kept that '77 Toyota Corolla?

BigBadStang
04-02-2008, 05:48 PM
So, I should have kept that '77 Toyota Corolla?

Lol...if you had, you would only have a pile of rust crumbs left! :lol:

mustang8998
04-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Hey, it might be a $30,000 pile of crumbs.

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-02-2008, 09:53 PM
I could possibly see some Honda's bring in some cash later in years.But one thing that will hurt them,is the hack job these kids are doing to these poor cars with terrible swaps and cutting and bondo and crap interior.Then even in later years,whos gonna want a stock honda civic SI with a pep boys stick on "R" emblem on the back??

I think the hack job thing is what's going to make them rare and expensive. I don't think bone stock Hondas will be the thing, but tastefully modded cars with turbo set ups etc.

I dunno, who knows. I don't think anyone could've predicted that a Challenger would be a 6-7 figure car 40 years later. 40 years from now we probably won't have fossil fuels anymore to run them on.

1slow5.O
04-02-2008, 11:23 PM
^ true , I keep wondering whats going to happen with the fuel situation.

great discussion guys

Xuzhu
04-02-2008, 11:25 PM
I guess it all really depends where you're looking at who is buying, but when you watch the high dollar auctions on TV, race cars or modded cars aren't bringing the bank. It's either the all original or restored to original cars bringing it in, that's why I can't see anything other than what is pricey and somewhat limited today bringing in the bank in 30 years.

69428SCJ
04-03-2008, 01:07 AM
you know, I bought one of the last 02 Z28s sold in this town back in 02. I figured it would be worth something someday....but the forces that be conspired against me keeping it and I had to get rid of it, so if anyone runs across 2G1FP32G922166402, please let me know....I would love to have it back. But seriously, my dad bought 9F91R568706 (Unicorn) for $4367.20 back on December 31st 1969, and recent appraised values put the car anywhere between $122,000 and $175,000. Needless to say I stole the car back from it's most recent owner for a mesely $20,000

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-03-2008, 01:17 AM
THIS is going to be worth $$$$$$ in 30 years if it stays in this condition

http://www.sellitnowmotors.com/classifieds/index.php?a=2&b=5351

BigBadStang
04-03-2008, 08:06 AM
Hey, it might be a $30,000 pile of crumbs.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

facemelter71
04-03-2008, 09:26 AM
Maybe SOME boosted 4 cylinder's,but how many turboed honda's to you think will survive a couple of years under there foot?

2-8-1
04-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Pristine Mach 1's and Terminators, how many stock Termy's can you all name.

Stangman
04-03-2008, 10:28 AM
I think there will be some sort of odd-ball collecting trend going on... maybe all these crap box hondas with the poor custom jobs might be worth something... I believe America is currently in this phase right now... with Rat Rods.

Its something called "Patina"

30 or so years from now, these hack-jobs might bring the big dollars:dunno:

:)

IWRBB
04-03-2008, 10:56 AM
"Rat rods" = the suck! Never have I seen such hokey crap. "Let's use a whiskey bottle for an overflow tank, that'll show how cool, unique and different we are!!!" GAY.

The cars that will be worth money are always the same, the most powerful sports cars of that era.

BigBadStang
04-03-2008, 11:27 AM
"Rat rods" = the suck! Never have I seen such hokey crap. "Let's use a whiskey bottle for an overflow tank, that'll show how cool, unique and different we are!!!" GAY.

The cars that will be worth money are always the same, the most powerful sports cars of that era.

MOST of the crap they are calling "Rat Rods" are a friggin joke, but a REAL Rat Rod has it's place. The crap some call Rat Rods are nothing more than guys trying to out do the next guy on how gaudy/cheesy/cheap they can make their junk look.

A real Rat Rod was a car built on the cheap, in your own garage or backyard but runs strong, and looks decent with the flat black, or primer finish, using minimal interior and frills. I have seen real ones from the past, and present and they are neat cars, but the crap some guys throw together w/o floorboards and goofy looking crap like the whiskey bottles is just retarded.

IWRBB
04-03-2008, 11:40 AM
MOST of the crap they are calling "Rat Rods" are a friggin joke, but a REAL Rat Rod has it's place. The crap some call Rat Rods are nothing more than guys trying to out do the next guy on how gaudy/cheesy/cheap they can make their junk look.

A real Rat Rod was a car built on the cheap, in your own garage or backyard but runs strong, and looks decent with the flat black, or primer finish, using minimal interior and frills. I have seen real ones from the past, and present and they are neat cars, but the crap some guys throw together w/o floorboards and goofy looking crap like the whiskey bottles is just retarded.

I agree with that, I have no problem with guys keeping an original 50's vintage hot rod in primer and keeping it basic, or even restoring it back to that point. The wanna-be cars though, pathetic IMO.

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-03-2008, 05:22 PM
THIS is a ratrod:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVlov_t4fjg&feature=related

mustang8998
04-03-2008, 06:13 PM
It's different, thats for sure.

ford guy
04-03-2008, 07:26 PM
you guys sure are taking it hard on us young ones
don't worry so much there are still good "kids" around and not everyone under the age of 25 was hurled into the car hobby after seeing the fast and the furious or gone in 60 seconds not every 'kid" is hacking up cars and for the most part nobody friggin cares about the cars in question i say let them hack away at their little hondas or scions.

If its a fwd who will miss them honestly?

Not that i have anything against imports just hate the bench racing riceboys

anything that can lay down 4 digit hp or tq #s has my respect esp if its street driven

supras 300zx stangs any major player in the streets right now will live on and it is really up to the groups of people that are dedicated to preserving them will dictate what they are worth

Only time will tell
Josh