PDA

View Full Version : Frame rail to K member question

DeckerEnt
04-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Click the link in my signature,check the pics then respond. My question is, concidering the thickness of the new frame rails I am welding in, do I really need to put the tubes in that the bolts go through? I think that the rail is thick and strong enough. To make it clamp better, I am thinking of cutting a square washer to go between the nut and frame rail. That should spread out the pressure.
If I really need to weld in the tubes I will. My plan for the car does include drag time but also maybe some curves too.
Keith

RACEME
04-04-2008, 05:44 AM
I would put the tubes in. They are there for a reason. If Ford could have cut costs by not using them , then they would have.

Black Horse
04-04-2008, 07:11 AM
The tubes are simple their to keep from drawing in the sides of the original stamped rails when you tighten the bolts (you dont want your rails kinked). Depending on the thyickness of your new weld-in's you might be abel to not need the spacer tubes...but its cheap insurance for strength....your call.

DeckerEnt
04-04-2008, 08:30 AM
I have talked to alot of people about this and I am going to put the tubes in. I will use a hole saw to drill a hole just larger the size of the tubes, slide the tubes in and weld them top and bottom.
Thanks...Keith